Car Washing

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Washing

I apologize in advance for the stupid question you are about to recieve. Our new 03 screw is first new vehicle I have owned. I have never before worried too much about washing vehicles. But now I am concerned. I bought some mequiars car wash soap. The question is a bought a chammy and it seemed as I dried it was a little soapy. I am certain I rinsed throughly. Anyways what is a good chammy and what may have caused this soapy rinse? As well is there a simple procedure until I get the hang of this stuff for wash and wax that a rookie can follow? Thanks for the help guys! JR

Old 08-07-2003, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Reggie,

Welcome to the site.

A couple things:
Make sure you use the correct concentrate when using the soap (I'm sure you did, but just in case)

I use that same soap also, and have never had soap left over, just do a better job of rinsing.
Since you havnt done a lot of washing, I'll let you know how I do it, maybe this will work for you.

First I fill my 5 gallon bucket with the required amount of soap and hot water.

Next - before I use soap, I give the truck a thorough rinse with my pressure washer.

* Always start at the top and work your way down, this way the dirt goes in the same direction.

First thing I do is get on my ladder and scrub the roof with soap using my wash mitt, then I fire up the pressure washer and rinse it all of.
I soap and rinse each panel as I go.
Do not soap the entire truck all at once and then rinse, this will cause the soap to dry.

The key is to do 1 or 2 panels at a time, and then rinse, this should help. (I soap and rinse 1 panel at a time)

As far as drying, I use an oversized cotton towel, I can dry the entire truck with it.
If you're married, go buy a couple of nice towels, this way you won't have the wife bitching at you (trust me)

Another thing, if you own cats, keep the towels where the cats can't get near them, you don't want them sleeping on it in the linnen closet, and then when it comes time to dry your truck, it's all full of cat hair.

Hope this helps
Habibi

Old 08-07-2003, 02:51 PM
I'll go a step further then Habibi did.

If you own cat's then SHOOT THEM little bastards before they get hair on your towels and nice little SCRATCH marks on your NEW hood...

The only good kitty is a DEAD kitty...

Old 08-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Thumbs up Good Cat

AMEN to that XLT Sport

Old 08-07-2003, 03:27 PM
My cat is declawed but the little **** still sleeps on the wifes car. Oh well better than my truck. How long will this sucker live. He got to be on his 9th live by now. Due to getting a beating every time I catch him on the car.

reggie try rinsing better and using microfiber towels. Ive recently started drying my truck with an electric leaf blower. Works real good but neighbors think Im crazy. Always have to be fast and point the blower at the ground when I see them looking.

Old 08-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by brentswanton
My cat is declawed but the little **** still sleeps on the wifes car. Oh well better than my truck. How long will this sucker live. He got to be on his 9th live by now. Due to getting a beating every time I catch him on the car.

reggie try rinsing better and using microfiber towels. Ive recently started drying my truck with an electric leaf blower. Works real good but neighbors think Im crazy. Always have to be fast and point the blower at the ground when I see them looking.
LOL

1st off, hot water? Is it better than cold or do you just prefer hot?

2nd off, Leaf blower?? Wouldnt that leave water lines or something??

Old 08-07-2003, 05:44 PM
No I keep the truck waxed good and water just flys off. An if needed I go over truck with microfiber towel. Way less water to deal with and the blower is good for getting water out of the cracks.

Old 08-07-2003, 05:54 PM
good idea

Old 08-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Hot water is better for your bucket of wash soap because it will help remove the dirt better. Cold water is better for rinsing off the soap after you have washed. Just like laundry and washing dishes…

Old 08-07-2003, 07:37 PM
2 buckets............ one with soapy water, one with clean rinse water. After washing a panel, put the mitt in the rinse water, and swirl around a bit and let is set while you rinse the vehicle.

Always follow the instructions for the correct mix of shampoo to water, as too much shampoo can strip wax, and leave a soap scum.

After washing, take the nozzle off the hose and rinse the entire vehicle with a steady stream. This will reduce the beading and make drying much easier.

Waffle weave MF towels are the cat's *** for drying off a vehicle.

Old 08-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The cat's *** huh? LOL!

Like Boss mentioned, using a steady stream of water (not a jet) to keep the beading down and make drying easier is a GREAT trick. I use it EVERYTIME I wash my truck.

The water has a tendency to 'sheet' off rather than bead up which makes for less water spots and an easier time drying.

Excellent tip...

RP

Old 08-07-2003, 08:07 PM
Never have a problem with water beading up on my truck no matter how I rinse. Must be the Zaino...

Old 08-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
Never have a problem with water beading up on my truck no matter how I rinse. Must be the Zaino...
Good lord... Don the wadders fellas... it's getting REALLY deep in here...

RP

Old 08-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Good lord... Don the wadders fellas... it's getting REALLY deep in here...

RP
LMAO

Old 08-07-2003, 08:52 PM
WOW some of you guys take washing a vehicle very seriously. I mean I do too, but nothing like that.

Boss_429 you are a god.

Quick Reply: Car Washing