Total Newb here, have a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total Newb here, have a few questions...

Well, I am a total newb when it comes to taking care of a trucks paintjob and I'm wondering if you have any tips you can give me and if you could answer a few questions I have.

1. I was looking at my trucks paintjob under a light and I noticed I have all sorts of microscratches, what caused them and what is the best way to get rid of them?

2. Where is the best place to get car care products? (I live in Selma, CA if anyone knows a place near by )

3. I've been hand waxing with mothers wax lately and when I tried to do it with my friends electronic buffer/polisher I didnt' get as good of a job. Was it his buffer or do you just get a better job done when you do it by hand?

As you can see, I'm a TOTAL NEW (only had my truck a month and 1/2 now) please

Old 08-13-2003, 02:12 AM
I used a clay bar on my truck, then used a polish called "Liquid Glass". It came out awesome!

Old 08-13-2003, 03:03 AM
Thanks Fordman,

If you dont mind me asking, whats a claybar (sounds pretty rough to me )

Old 08-13-2003, 04:10 AM
nevermind, I found out what it is, sounds good to me. Maybe I'll give it a try

Old 08-13-2003, 05:43 AM
A clay bar is great for removing contaminants from paint. However, it will do nothing for removing swirls. You need a good polish (or two) for removing swirls/micro-scratches.

AutoZone, and other Automotive stores carry a pretty good supply of polishes/waxes.......... etc.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:03 AM
Zaino...

Old 08-13-2003, 09:37 AM
oh we should of seen that coming

Old 08-13-2003, 10:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad to have you around.

1. The micro scratches, you can try a clay bar, then polish first. I use Mother's products after all these years, and still love it. I have tried several others in the past, and the cost to look / durability is not worth the additional money to me. The prcess on this would be to wash the truck with Dawn dish soap, then use the clay bar, wash again, and then use a DA polisher with something like the Mother's Reflections polish. This might be the ticket to getting them out with something less abrasive then scratch remover. Remember removing scratches is removing clear coat. Trying to minimize the scratch so it will hide under the glaze and wax is a better option then removing them completly.

2. I actually order my Mothers products online from : www.waxstation.com. Another site for good stuff for the paint is www.properautocare.com.

3. The buffer/polisher that you talk about, which one is that ? If it is the Sears 11" one then it is only good for taking off wax. Using it to put it on, it does not have the RPM for laying down the wax in a nice coat. I put mine on with a Cyclo dual head polisher, and use the sear 11" to take it off, works like a charm.
I use the time honored method of : wash; clay bar; wash; polish; glaze;wax. The Mother's glaze and wax are from the 3 step line, and I replace the pre-wax cleaner step with the reflections polish.
You can check out the buffer recomendations, lots have gone with the Potor Cable one, and a few use the DeWalt one.

Good luck, have fun here

Quick Reply: Total Newb here, have a few questions...