How Do You Guys Clean Your Windows?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How Do You Guys Clean Your Windows?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how everyone goes about cleaning their windows inside and out. Also what product(s) do you use? I ask this b/c I can never seem to get them streak free no matter what I do, so I've just quit cleaning them for the time being b/c its too frustrating. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2003, 02:51 PM
I use Eagle One 20/20 it's fairly streak free & window tint safe.

Last edited by Tailgator; 08-17-2003 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Stoners Invisable Glass and the Sunday paper

Old 08-17-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by TexfordD
Is that better than the IG and the Monday paper? J/K Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Anyhow, I have great luck with SprayWay glass cleaner and an MF towel. However, I really like Poorboys Spray & Wipe Wash/QD for cleaning windows too.

Old 08-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Water spots on windows are one of my pet peeves. My bro and I alwasy got out a drill, polishing head, and some mild rubbing compound and worked our tails off with excellent results.

The through posts here, I discovered various other easier products and went with the Zaino Clear View. Easy and excellent. Makes cleaning thereafter effortless. Great stuff for getting anything off the glass SO that you CAN clean it well.

Old 08-17-2003, 09:41 PM
A while back I posted about a test I did, for removing water spots with the Zaino window polish and a recommended product by another member. I used Cook Top Glass Ceramic Cleaner which can be bought many places. I bought mine at Sears. It is a product for cleaning glass ceramic stove tops.

Both the Zaino and the Cook Top did an excellent job, though the Cook Top came off easier. You simple put it on with a damp cloth like you would a wax. You do not need to rub hard, just a little pressure is needed. You let it dry to a haze and buff off with a dry towel. It took me less then 15 minutes to do my entire windshield.

I personally recommend the Cook Top or any other Glass Cermanic cleaner over Zaino because they are much cheaper then the Zaino. With Zaino you have to figure in shipping cost. I bought some Zaino glass polish because I wanted to try it, and I was replenishing my other Zaino supplies so it didn’t really cost me any more for shipping.

However, for those that do not use Zaino I would recommend against using the Zaino glass polish because it is more expensive then the Cook Top, and you can find glass ceramic cleaner at Sears or basically any appliance store. Since there was NO difference in performance between the Zaino and Cook Top the Cook Top was my recommendation.

If you want a windshield that looks like it did when it came from the factory then use the glass cermamic cleaner. As far as streaking I don’t know what to recommend. I use Windex and have no problems with streaking or spots.

Old 08-17-2003, 09:44 PM
Old 08-18-2003, 01:32 AM
i just got my truck painted and there was a little overspray on my windows so the guy pulled out a steel wool and starting wiping my glass. i got scared and "hey your gonna scratch the glass" but he said dont worry he cleaned all the windows outside only and the chrome and there werent any scratches he told me it was 40 steel wool and you can get it at the supermarket in the cleaning sections its four 0 wool not fourty

Old 08-18-2003, 02:09 AM
To echo the above post, I've read articles by professional detailers that say using super fine #0000 steel wool with a quality glass cleaner is the best way to "clean" windows that are soiled. Then follow by drying/buffing with say a lint-free MF towel.

Very important to get #0000 steel wool, i.e., not steel wool with less than four zeros as the less zero steel wool is abrasive. The #0000 steel wool will not harm exterior or interior auto windows, but will harm rear and sideview mirrors. Also, do not use the #0000 steel wool on aftermarket tinted windows, but it is ok to use on factory tinted windows.

I purchased some last week at the local hardware store and will be trying out for the first time this week. I'll leave a post later in the week that gives my opinion of performance/results.

As far as streak-free, use a top-quality glass cleaner and then two top quality MF towels. You're gonna use the 2nd MF towel just for buffing a streak-free shine.

Last edited by Ledbetter44; 08-18-2003 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:10 AM
I wax the outsides of my windows with the same wax as i use on the paint--Meguairs #26, then use Windex on the inside. Sounds weird but it works.

Old 08-18-2003, 02:23 AM
Another tip I've picked-up from others is to use say a vertical wiping motion on all your exterior windows, and then a horizontal wiping motion on all your interior windows. That way, when everything is dry and you notice streaks, you can easily tell whether the streak is on the outside or inside.

Also, one thing I sometimes forget is the part of the door window that fits up in the window frame when the window is closed. I'll clean all the windows, making sure that there are no streaks, hazing, etc., then I'll be riding down the highway grinning from ear to ear 'cause my windows are spotless, then lower the driver's side window part way down only to find the whole top 1/2" of the window is filthy. Major bummer, LOL.

So always try to remember to clean the top inch or so, along with the leading front edge of the window, that rests inside the window frame when closed....otherwise, when your hot date goes to lower her window, she'll find a filthy top edge that just spoils everything. Almost kinda like your date finding out you are really wearing dirty underwear, even though your pants were pressed, LOL.

Last edited by Ledbetter44; 08-18-2003 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:30 AM
Anyone try the Armorall Glass Cleaner? Am having a tough time getting the interior film off the glass and was wondering if anyone has feedback on this product.

Old 08-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by TexfordD
what he said... minus the news paper...I use the microfiber towels for everything these days.

Old 08-20-2003, 02:30 PM
I use the Sunday paper 'cause when I do mine I do my wifes Exploder and thats got lots of glass

Old 08-20-2003, 05:18 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stoner's IG and two microfiber towels. One to clean and the other to buff dry.

Quick Reply: How Do You Guys Clean Your Windows?