Old 08-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
birdpoop - An age-old question!

How to get it off, once "baked-on"?

Help!

Thanks

Old 08-17-2003, 07:53 PM
There are a number of products that will remove it. Most good QD's will eventualy get it off. I like Poorboy's Bird S*** remover (yes that's what it's called). That stuff makes quick work of Bird Poop.

Anyhow, the real problem is the etched stain that it leaves behind in the paint.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:02 PM
keep your finish waxed--makes that stuff come off easier

Old 08-17-2003, 09:31 PM
Probabely one of the best ways is to get a shop rag and wet it, nice and damp and lay it over the bird crap and leave it on for a while, like 15 minutes or so. Use either clean water, or a combination of clean water and soap.

What your doing is getting the bird crap moist so you can easily wipe it off. To try and get it off dry may cause possible scratches. Even if you have a good coat of wax or polish I would still recommend this method over just trying to wipe it right off.

If it is on the side of the truck, like tail gate, door or other vertical surface either get a large towel that you can drap over it, or simple hold the wet cloth on the stained area until it has been moisten for removal.

It sounds gross, but works well and will leave the least amount, if any scratches. As far as etching into the paint, the moist cloth will not help that, only to remove the toxic stain substance.

Old 08-17-2003, 09:31 PM
When using Poorboy's B/S Remover, do you then need to go back over with wax/sealant like you would with most bug/tar removers?

Thanks.

Old 08-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Ledbetter44
When using Poorboy's B/S Remover, do you then need to go back over with wax/sealant like you would with most bug/tar removers?

Thanks.
I would think the answer would be "yes" I am sure it removes the wax when removing the stain. I might be wrong, but even if I am it never hurts anything to put more wax on...

Old 08-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking it best to then re-apply wax/sealant.

This whole bird poop thing is a freakin' problem. After I detail this week, I'm thinking I'll keep a couple MF towels and some Z-6 with me when travelling at all times just to be ready when I get bombed. Thought I'd look into the Poorboy's B/S Remover as well, and keep it handy.

I like your idea about moistening things up first to reduce possibility of scratching when removing.

Freakin' bird poop.

Old 08-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With your fresh Z job in the near future, I'd DEFINATELY recommend that you pack some Z-6 along with you in the truck...

I never leave home without a bottle of some type of 'Quick Detailer' in my truck along with two or three rags and a MF.

It's just ashame that the bird poo has to have such a EXTREMELY LOW pH.... I know they have to 'remove' their wastes just like any other animal but, why on my paint? WHY!? WHY!?

I still think one of the best commericals that I've ever seen was a few years ago during the Super Bowl. Nissan had a bunch of pigeons geared up in headsets and they were flying around a neighborhood. One of them radioed in saying "We've got a clean car at Elm and Hurst Avenue"... and then they all got into a formation and swooped down to the car and 'bird bombed' it... Classic example on how it works EVERY FRIGGIN' TIME with my clean vehicles. LOL!

RP

Old 08-17-2003, 10:46 PM
I remember one time I washed my truck. I washed it and everything and then went inside to get something to drink or something and came back out and on the mirror, there was this long white streak. This was less than 5 minutes time. So since the truck was pretty much still wet, it came right off. Birds love clean vehicles. I guess it is just the shininess of them that make them that attract the birds and make them targets.

Old 08-18-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Ledbetter44

Thanks.
Ledbetter44,

Yes, like O1 XLT Sport said, the BSR will also remove the wax. If you're lucky, you'll only need to rewax. If the bird poop has etched the paint, you'll need to get the stains out before the wax.

Old 08-21-2003, 11:31 PM
Where can i get poorboy's b/s remover

Old 08-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Birds love clean vehicles.
Yah Yah!, When I was bringing my new Screw home from the dealership it got hit on the hood and windshield before I even got to my house.

Old 08-24-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
I never leave home without a bottle of some type of 'Quick Detailer' in my truck along with two or three rags and a MF.
RP
Might I also suggest the addition of one item to your remedy kit. A model 1100 Remington 12 gauge and box of shells. Won't do much for the BS already on the truck, but it will make ya feel a whole lot better, and should cut down the offenders by at least one (that is if you're choosy!).

-Mike-

Old 05-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You think PBSR will remove this?

That's my 8am, Saturday detail this weekend.

Old 05-03-2005, 02:40 PM
That looks like a rough business RP!

Quick Reply: birdpoop - An age-old question!