Wax/polish new vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 11:39 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 2stroked
Could it be? RockPick - the politician - endorsing both product M and Product Z in one post? What's next, a debate on "soft money"

Seriously though RP, that was a very balanced, sensible and well thought out reply. Is your medication working again?
I guess it's old age... *shrugs*

Old 08-26-2003, 12:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's OK RP, I'm getting a bit more mellow (and grey) with age too. My theory on grey hair is that it can turn pink as long as it doesn't fall out. Keep up the good work!

Old 08-26-2003, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
LMFAO...

Don't you have a transmission or rear-end you need to change or rebuild?
No but come to think of it, I think I'll go grab my buffer and wax the truck.

Old 08-26-2003, 05:29 PM
You all have to admit I gave a decent review of both the Zaino and Meguires. The reason I mentioned waxing once a month is because of discussions with RockPick and thought he had stated before it was best if done once a month.

Myself I don’t know how often or just how long a “wax” will last. I do know from a lot of reading and from RockPick himself that the synthetic polishes last longer and are more durable then the waxes in general.

I also know that there are different types of shines (hard for me to tell) but from reading many post here it has been stated that one product gives a particular shine and another a different shine. I don’t know how true that is, but nevertheless people have stated it.

Bottom line is those of us who wax/polish our trucks (which basically included most people here) are just plain **** about the appearance of our trucks and would swear what ever product we happen to choose is the best there is.

I once stated that if you took 10 of us and lined our trucks up in a parking lot somewhere for many people to see that we might see slight differences in each shine but the general public would just think they all looked damn good and that we need major medication for our **** problems…

As I had previously stated my main reasons for going with Zaino was first the durability and that it outlast most waxes on the market. That don’t mean waxes including Meguires is bad, just wouldn’t last me through 3 – 6 months of winter and road salt back here in toothlessvile. Last winter was a real pain, and cold most of the time. I don’t recall any days above 30 degrees, so there was really no way I could have applied any wax to my truck.

The second biggest reason was the shine without having to use a buffer. I have seen waxed cars back here without buffers and they looked ok, I have seen waxed cars by people who know how to use a buffer and they looked awesome, like RockPicks truck, and he don’t use a buffer. I can not get that shine like RockPick, just don’t have the ability to do so with regular wax, I have tried.

I think most every product ever mentioned for waxing/polishing is an excellent product but it comes down to ones personal choice and their actual ability to use it correctly to get the maximum benefit from that product.

Any how this being nice between RockPick and I about Zaino and Meguires is getting old, so with that I say to RockPick:

Your ugly and your mother dresses you funny… j/k

Old 08-27-2003, 10:33 AM
Moderator &

...Any how this being nice between RockPick and I about Zaino and Meguires is getting old, so with that I say to RockPick:

Your ugly and your mother dresses you funny… j/k
And well... uhh.... you win. LOL!

Old 08-27-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
And well... uhh.... you win. LOL!
DAMN, I win?...

You REALLY must be getting ALOT lately...

Old 08-27-2003, 12:15 PM
Moderator &

DAMN, I win?...

You REALLY must be getting ALOT lately...
Pfft... I wish.

Just too tired to think....

Old 08-27-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Pfft... I wish.

Just too tired to think....
Ahhh, I see, been away for a while the brain grows weak and thus the come-back lines are lame. That's ok a little practice and you will be up to speed in no time...

Old 08-27-2003, 01:48 PM
Moderator &

Ahhh, I see, been away for a while the brain grows weak and thus the come-back lines are lame. That's ok a little practice and you will be up to speed in no time...
Give me some time... and some sleep... and I'll be back up to speed... maybe. The items at the house seem to be mounting rapidly with no hope of closure in sight.

Old 08-27-2003, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

I know this may be tough for you finish addicts LOL, but is there one product a guy can use that will do a "good" job just washing and putting on one thing, as opposed to washing, clay bar, polish layer, sealant layer, wax layer, etc? I usually give the truck the good everything treatment in the spring, but only find time for a one application polish the rest of the year.

Thanks again.

PS. Just heard the Expy will be here tomorrow!!

Old 08-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Moderator &

You're not going to get nearly the results because surface preparation is critically important however; many of the steps that we perform may not be as necessary because your finish will be generally brand new.

I might recommend Meguiars Premium Paint Protection (PPP)... It is a great product and I use it frequently outside of my typical #26 #9/#7 treatment.

ENJOY THAT NEW EXPY!!!

RP

Old 08-27-2003, 05:08 PM
Meguiars is probably your best bet especially since you can get it at stores or auto parts stores. Zaino is awesome as well, but you have to mail order it and it is important that you have NO wax on the paint before using Zaino or your outcome will not be as good.

I agree with RockPick that surface prep is everything. Bottom line is if you have at least some kind of wax or polish on it then it will at least have some protection.

Old 08-27-2003, 07:39 PM
MossBoss,

Well, I told you that you would get the ole Zaino Left Hook, followed by the Meguiar's Right Cross..............

Anyhow, the info the guys has given you has been great, and having used all the products mentioned, I agree that they are all excellent. However, it sound like your looking for an AIO (all in one) product for the time being. Probably not a bad choice, as your paint shouldn't need too much prep as it will be brand new.

So, here are a couple other options outside the Zaino/Meguiars 1 - 2 punch:

Mothers California Gold Carnauba cleaner wax - Nice product with some cleaning ability, plus a very nice shine. Durability is limited however.

Coats Cherry Wet Wax - Excellent shine with some cleaning abilities

Liquid Glass - Some cleaning abilities, with a nice wet look, and decent durability.

Poorboys Pro Polish with Caranauba - My personal favorite AIO product! Good cleaning abilities, excellent durability due to the polymer in the product, plus a nice shine because of the carnauba!

I would also invest in a good detailing spray.......... preferably one that has carnauba in it to keep the finish protected, and looking good.

Keep in mind that the guys are correct............... the better the paint prep, the better the finished product looks!

Good luck, and happy detailing!

Old 08-27-2003, 08:04 PM
Good ol' Boss_429 bringing calm to the thread...

You need that with RockPick...

Old 08-27-2003, 08:27 PM
Good ol' Boss_429 bringing calm to the thread...

You need that with RockPick...

Yes, he really does get out of hand sometimes!

Poor guy is on "NewHouse-Overload"!

Quick Reply: Wax/polish new vehicle?