Wax/polish new vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wax/polish new vehicle?

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked here before, I tried to do a search, but wax, new and other words I tried to use came back as "too short", and I couldn't find anything.

Getting a new Expedition, and wondering if I should or should not wax/polish the new vehicle? If I should, what type of products should I use, and what should I avoid? If I should wait, how long should I wait to do it for the first time?

Old 08-25-2003, 07:12 PM
You can polish/wax it as soon as you get it home. It shouldn't need an abrasive polish yet, unless the dealer swirls it up getting it ready for you. Still, you can put a nice glaze on their and top it with a fine carnauba, or go with a good sealant.

What color is the EXPY? Some colors just look better with certain products.

BTW, you're about to bombarded with the Meguiar's and Zaino replys!

Old 08-25-2003, 08:11 PM
Best Protection money can buy, and the shine to go with it

Zaino is a great synthetic polish that will outlast the best of them. It has a great shine that just goes on and on and on.

Meguires is another fine product, so I guess the question is first do you like to and know how to use a buffer well? Do you enjoy waxing a lot, like once a month? Some enjoy waxing once a month and love the shine that Meguires has. I personal feel to get the best shine from Meguires a buffer may be required.

With Zaino there is no need to use a buffer and as a matter of fact a buffer will not make it shine more. Zaino, when applied correctly and at least 2 – 3 coats will last a good 6 months through winter.

The two main reasons I use Zaino is I do not like to use a buffer and we have at times long cold winters which would make it impossible to wax once a month. Therefore with Zaino lasting a good 6 months gives me the protection I need to “properly” care for my trucks valuable paint.

Zaino has an awesome shine, but there are other great products such as Meguires that will give you just about as equal a shine as Zaino. So the question really is are you looking for durability and something you can put on with ease like butter on bread and an awesome shine all without the need of a buffer? Or, are you one that loves to wax a lot. Nothing wrong with either situations just a matter of choice…

Last edited by 01 XLT Sport; 08-25-2003 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:14 PM
I've heard of colored waxes. Would they be good on my black 03 Screw? I've had it about a month and a half.

Not trying to hijack your thread MossBoss but I was going to post the same question and didn't wanrt to seem redundant.

Old 08-25-2003, 08:24 PM
I personal feel to get the best shine from Meguires a buffer may be required.
WRONG!
Meguairs #26 comes off nearly as easily as it goes on and lasts a long time.

Old 08-25-2003, 08:40 PM
[i]Originally posted by 01 XLT

Do you enjoy waxing a lot, like once a month? Some enjoy waxing once a month and love the shine that Meguires has. I personal feel to get the best shine from Meguires a buffer may be required.

With Zaino there is no need to use a buffer and as a matter of fact a buffer will not make it shine more. Zaino, when applied correctly and at least 2 – 3 coats will last a good 6 months through winter.

[/B]
On the payroll huh? What a crock.

Last edited by GearHead_1; 08-25-2003 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by GearHead_1
On the payroll huh? What a crock.
Not a crock, and not on the payroll...

Old 08-25-2003, 09:41 PM
Nope, I checked again. It's still a crock!

Old 08-26-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by GearHead_1
Nope, I checked again. It's still a crock!
LMFAO...

Don't you have a transmission or rear-end you need to change or rebuild?

Old 08-26-2003, 08:34 AM
dlb
Use Zaino, you won't be disappointed.

Old 08-26-2003, 08:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Re: Wax/polish new vehicle?

Originally posted by MossBoss
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked here before, I tried to do a search, but wax, new and other words I tried to use came back as "too short", and I couldn't find anything.

Getting a new Expedition, and wondering if I should or should not wax/polish the new vehicle? If I should, what type of products should I use, and what should I avoid? If I should wait, how long should I wait to do it for the first time?
Hi MossBoss -

Yeah, the search engine can be a pain. Here's a couple of tips:

For 3 letter words like wax, put the good ole * after it, like this: wax*

For a compound search like I did this AM for information on removing the valence on the front bumper, type it in just like this:

lower AND valence

I too use Meguiars #26 and, unlike some folks, I do not need to wax every month. I think the guys here do it mostly for enjoyment, as well as a way to spend "quality" time with their F-150's.

I live in a "finish hostile" state (Florida) and my truck is outside 24/7/365, in brutal sunshine, torrential rains, bird crap, etc. Meguiars #26 is very durable, easy to apply, and lasts about 4-5 months for me.

BTW, if you haven't noticed it by reading here, the only subject more debated than "oil viscosity" is "Meguiars vs. Zaino". Bad mouthing either is akin to a rude comment about someone's mother or wife, girlfriend, etc.

Last but not least, look at the build date for your truck. If it is less than 30 days old, I'd wait to wax.

Old 08-26-2003, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the reply's guys.

The Expy is in True Blue Metallic. The build date was in July sometime.

Questions on the Zaino. Can I get it in local stores? How much is it? Is there any "prep" products that must go on first?

On the Meguir's. I have used the "cleaner wax" before, and the Carnuba, and I know they offer a whole series of products. On a new vehicle, would I go right to the Carnuba?

Also, I am not a once a month kind of guy. Just to busy fishin/huntin/playing ball, etc.

Thanks again guys for all the replies.

Old 08-26-2003, 09:23 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like B-MAN mentioned, if the truck is less than 30 days old, I tend to agree that one should wait to smack a coat of whatever polish/wax you choose on the paint.

Cure times are important and, when they roll out of the plant, they are not fully cured...

The Zaino vs. Meguiars debate is more show than anything. 01 XLT and I are the two main instigators on the entire issue and almost do it more often to 'rib' eachother rather than to knock the other guys' product.

The bottom line is that they are both outstanding products in my opinion (I've used both before I get reemed for making such a statement). I just couldn't justify the wait for a coat to dry and the benefit that I really gained out of the product. Like it has been mentioned, I actually ENJOY waxxing my truck. It's therapy for me. Thus, with that being said, once every month or two, I'm out in the garage smacking on a coat of #26 and/or #7 or #9.

The Zaino guys don't have to apply as often and get great results as well...

The bottom line is to find what works best for you and suits your lifestyle. There are NUMEROUS great products out there on the market including Zaino, Meguiars, Liquid Glass and Klasse (just to name a couple)... it's up to you to find out what works best for you and gets the results that you will demand.

RP

Old 08-26-2003, 11:21 AM
dlb
Questions on the Zaino. Can I get it in local stores? How much is it? Is there any "prep" products that must go on first?
You can get Zaino from http://www.zainostore.com/ . They have a kit for $85 which includes everything you need (Clay bar, car wash, 2 sets of waxes, their gloss spray, applicator pads, etc). It also comes with an addivitve called ZFX, which reduces the dry time to about 20 minutes. The site also has numerous tips/tricks.

Old 08-26-2003, 11:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could it be? RockPick - the politician - endorsing both product M and Product Z in one post? What's next, a debate on "soft money"

Seriously though RP, that was a very balanced, sensible and well thought out reply. Is your medication working again?

Quick Reply: Wax/polish new vehicle?