Motor Cleaning tips?/?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Cleaning tips?/?

Anyone have some good tips on getting the motor and compartment all clean? wich product seems to work best and how do you apply, un apply it?

Thank's.

Old 09-08-2003, 11:07 PM
Phillip - do a search and look for a "how-to" on this subject by Harley356 (I don't remember what the actual thread was). I tried his method of Simple Green (diluted to 75% strength with water) and then following up with Lexol Vinylex - it works great!

Hopefully he'll see you post and respond directly.....

Old 09-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I usually use whatever aerosol degreaser is available. These are actually just kerosene and a little soap. It works the best of all the stuff I tried. Spray it liberally all over everything, and let it soak in for a few minutes. For taking it off, the only way to go is a pressure washer, IMO. I have a Campbell Hausfeld 1700 PSI electric, and works just fine for my needs. Blast the crap out of it, doing the engine first then working outwards, then do an overall rinse.
I'm also lucky enough to have a small air compressor, which I use to blow all the water off. After letting it dry a few minutes more, I use Back to Black on all the black plastic under the hood. I've found that it stays clean MUCH longer than drowning it in silicone.
I think I remember you having a K&N intake, if I'm not mistaken. When I had mine, I removed the filter off the MAF, and set it aside. I then used a 12 inch terry cloth rag, rolled up and folded over twice. Stuff each end of it into the opening beside the sensor post. This works very well at keeping water out of the MAF, and avoids the dreaded plastic bag startup. Believe me, that SUCKS, LOL!
Well, that's how I do it, as if anyone really wanted to know, hehe. Mechanics are still shocked at how clean it is under my hood. They ALWAYS ask...."What year is this truck?" Feels good.,,,,98

Old 09-10-2003, 12:18 AM
People always say to cover the alternator with a bag but I never have and have never had a problem as long as I let the engine dry completely. A leaf blower is a fantastic engine dryer

I spray on a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and Water then let it sit for 5-10 minutes and pressure wash it off. Not perfect, but MUCH better than dirty.

Also, as I am sure you know, NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER spray ANYTHING onto a hot engine.

Quick Reply: Motor Cleaning tips?/?