Removing stains from "Stainless Steel"

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 12:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Removing stains from "Stainless Steel"

I got some of the "Summit" brand stainless steel exhaust tips from Summit Racing and they look really good but they have started to discolor to that bronze looking shade and have stains on them from the exhaust and road grime and what ever else. I haven't found anything that will even start to remove it. Well, actually I have only tried Eagle One metal polish. It's like a mag wheel polish but has made no progress at all. I was thinking about doing a little test spot but using this with some 000 steel wool. What do you think? Any other suggestions or recommended products?

Old 09-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That probably means that the tips are not true stainless steel. I've had Magnaflow tips for 2 years now and no stain of any type, just wipe them off with a sponge and some Dawn. They're as bright as the day I got them, except for the typical tiny scratches from rocks/sand/... of course LOL.

Old 09-21-2003, 12:19 PM
You might try Brasso or Never Dull.

Old 09-21-2003, 08:29 PM
never dull is the suff. try that first

Old 09-25-2003, 09:30 AM
Flitz - Picked it up at a True Value Hardware store - works WONDERS!

Had an old stainless muffler from my Maxima days, was all tarnished and ugly - used that stuff liberally, followed by a clean dry rag to buff it out - looked BETTER than new

Old 09-30-2003, 04:33 AM
try mothers cleaner that's what use and it works great

john

Old 10-06-2003, 06:57 PM
I've got one word for ya...Wenol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This stuff is the miracle drug. Here's a tip for ya before you run out and buy some...If you are happy with the finish of your metal product right now, leave it alone. If you do a little test spot with this stuff, you wont be happy with it any more. You'll literally be searching for stuff to use it on. Absolutely unreal. My tips, it removed the stains and EVEN removed that old bronze like color that stainless steel gets. Every bit of it. They look like chrome now. The guy said it will even remove the blueing from headder pipes and stuff like that. UNREAL!!!

Old 10-07-2003, 01:35 AM
will the never dull take out the stuff on my tips?

Old 10-12-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Galaxy
I've got one word for ya...Wenol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This stuff is the miracle drug. Here's a tip for ya before you run out and buy some...If you are happy with the finish of your metal product right now, leave it alone. If you do a little test spot with this stuff, you wont be happy with it any more. You'll literally be searching for stuff to use it on. Absolutely unreal. My tips, it removed the stains and EVEN removed that old bronze like color that stainless steel gets. Every bit of it. They look like chrome now. The guy said it will even remove the blueing from headder pipes and stuff like that. UNREAL!!!
Can ya use it on chrome or just on bare metal? How easy was it to use? Where can I buy it? Haven't seen it at any of my local auto parts stores.

-Mike-

Old 10-13-2003, 12:48 AM
Hey BidDeal, how'z it goin? I bought it at a big, local car show and some guy had a vendor booth, but I have seen it in a local speed shop...if it's big enough. Tognotti's is the name of my local place but I think there big enough they have a web site and could probably mail order. I'm pretty sure you're not gonna get it at Autozone or Pepboys. Yes, you can use it on chrome but I don't have any chrome in bad shape to tell if it works good on that. It literaly performed a miracle on my stainless tips though. Piece of cake to use. Wipe on, wipe off. The guy said it works through a chemical reaction instead of abrasive like most products. At first, I thought it was just his sales pitch until I got it home. It's very creamy. No abrasives in it at all. I think the big thing with this stuff is to restore. If you have something already in great shape (like chrome) it's not really gonna do anything for ya. It's made in Germany FWIW...

PhillipSVT, this stuff would probably bring your tips to a mirror shine...literally (or extremely close). It's amazing. I can't express enough how you wont believe it.

Old 10-13-2003, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the input there Galaxy. I'll go forth and see if I can find some of this stuff to try.

-Mike-

Old 10-13-2003, 03:27 PM
If you find it, it comes in two different tubes...Red and blue. The best way I know to describe it is the red is a little more aggressive for cleaning really stubborn stuff or for something that has no shine. The blue is more of a finishing polish and leaves a mirror like smoothe surface. Not necssairly a two step process but can be used that way. The blue is probably the best.

Old 10-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Galaxy
If you find it, it comes in two different tubes...Red and blue. The best way I know to describe it is the red is a little more aggressive for cleaning really stubborn stuff or for something that has no shine. The blue is more of a finishing polish and leaves a mirror like smoothe surface. Not necssairly a two step process but can be used that way. The blue is probably the best.
Thanks for the additional clarification.........

-Mike-

Quick Reply: Removing stains from "Stainless Steel"