Scratches on upper door trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratches on upper door trim

I live in an area with very hard water which leaves clear or white spots on everything. Not a problem, just involves lots of work to keep looking like new. I use a variety of products on the truck, but have one problem:

I decided to tackle the spots on the shiny black plastic trim which separates the driver and passenger windows on my supercrew. None of the magic products worked, and I've bought and tried just about everything. I rubbed a little bit of glass cleaner/spot remover onto a small area to test it, and ended up scratching it pretty good. Turns out it works great on glass, but is abrasive on plastic.

First, does anyone know what that piece is actually called? I've been searching but no luck. May just end up buying a new one.

Second, Anybody know how to avoid or remove the scratches that get on that particular piece of trim, it seems even the softest cloth leaves very fine scratches.

Third, What about my screw-up? Any way to fix the small area I ruined? It is now lighter and the scratches really show.

Thanks for the help. By the way, awesome website. Bought my first F150 Supercrew a month ago, and have been here ever since.

Old 09-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know of the part that you're speaking of DC but, mine is painted and is 'glossy'... the vertical black piece?

Or are you talking about the rubberized molding at the bottom of the glass?

I want to make sure I know where these 'spots' are before I make any sort of recomendation.

RP

Old 09-24-2003, 03:00 PM
I'ts the vertical piece...

RockPick-

Yes the dull horizontal pieces under the windows are a little bit of a pain, but they are fine.

You are correct, I'ts the 2 vertical pieces that are gloss black. (one at the back edge or the front window, one at the front edge of the back window). Is this black paint or just shiny plastic? In an attempt to remove water spots I 'tested the product in an inconspicuous area' and left a 'conspicuous' one inch circle of dull, fine scratches.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Old 09-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm... it's definately painted on mine. It's an aluminum piece...

Not sure what you've gotten yourself into but have you tried using a good polish to attempt to remove it? You think it's just water spots?

Hey other guys... anyone used barkeepers friend on anything other than glass? Ever tried it on paint. 01 XLT...I know you use this stuf... what do you think?

RP

Old 09-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Rockpick

yep, they're water spots. clay bar took em off the first time, but there must be a better way than to clay the entire truck after each wash.

You say yours is aluminum? I looked at your pics and you have the same trim. But it's that shiny black plastic on mine. Just to make sure we are talking about the same piece, it's the 2 vertical pieces between the driver and rear windows. In your pic by the water, its just to the left of your right shoulder.

Going out to try some polish on it right now.

Quick Reply: Scratches on upper door trim