Can I was with gold class, wax with Zaino?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I was with gold class, wax with Zaino?

The Zaino car was seems a little expensive considering how often I wash my truck. Can I wash my truck with Meguires Gold Class and Wax with Zaino? I've never used Zaino before but plan on switching now that I have my new truck.

Old 09-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Zaino will require that you use the Zaino wash for maintenance as they may claim that the detergent based washes (such as gold class (which is what I use)) will stip Z.

Zaino is pretty good stuff but, rather than using Gold Class, you might try some of the professional products offered by Meguiars. They're going to save you some $ in the long run but, you will be required to apply more often...

After having tried Zaino, I can tell you that it's pretty darn good stuff but, I simply didn't get the 'bling' out of it that everyone seemed to have. I did, however, get a great level of protection above any carnauba but, with as often as I wax (because I genuinly enjoy doing it), I don't have to worry about protection nearly as much.

RP

Old 09-24-2003, 11:28 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can use any car wash that does not have a wax additive. I believe the Gold Class shampoo does not have any so you can go right ahead.

Z7 does contain a little of Zaino sealant. Most Zaino users have said they notice a difference with using Z7 vs. other products over the long haul, say 4-6 months between applications. It is worth ordering the first time when you buy other Zaino products, but maybe it isn't worth re-ordering alone if you run out.

BTW, the Zaino wash, Z7, is super concentrated. A couple capfuls per wash is all it takes. Just add water after and you'll get all the suds you need. A bottle can last much longer than its size suggests. I do not know how the number of washes per bottle compares to a gallon of Gold Class.

Last edited by APT; 09-24-2003 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Moderator &

I thought that Z would deteorate faster with a detergent based shampoo versus that of the synthetic (like the Z-7 or Meguiars 00)?

Old 09-24-2003, 11:34 AM
APT
I do not know if it is a matter of deteriorating or not getting re-enforced with the sealant additive in Z7. I have not used any other shampoo since trying Zaino.

Old 09-24-2003, 12:37 PM
Moderator &

Maybe that's what I remember reading.... I see the point. Z-7 would be the way to go if you decide to go with the Zaino... that's for sure.

RP

Old 09-24-2003, 02:45 PM
I can tell you for sure that the household detergents will not remove/ strip Zaino..... here's why I know....
I had a brain fart one day when I first changed to the Z stuff and went and applied it to my windshield. That is certainly a no-no and when I tried to remove it, I couldn't regardless what I used. I scrubbed with Dawn, simple green and with a dish scubby thingee.... It finally wore off after about 6 months and got to the point that rain-x would stick to the windshield again. It sure wouldn't stick to the Zaino!

That being said, on to the point.... I usually use the Z-7 on my red F150 (ride around truck) but I use anything at hand on my work truck and car. I really haven't noticed any difference in the end results, although, I must say I don't do the Z-6 on anything but my red truck. The Z-6 is certainly a kicker though......

Before using Zaino the first time, be sure to wash well with Dawn, then claybar and wsh with Dawn again........that'll prep you very well for an app of anything............

Old 09-24-2003, 05:13 PM
I applied 3 coats of Zaino to my truck in early August, and have been using Z7 to wash the truck ever since, washing the truck once a week. The bottle at this point is about 80% full if that gives you an idea of what it takes to wash with it.

Old 09-24-2003, 05:24 PM
All right, I just ordered the Zaino car wash and wax as well as the leather cleaner and applicator pad. Thanks for the information.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:11 PM
APT
Bigsherm, I think you'll be very pleased if you nca get past the meticulous steps. Take a look at suggestions while you wait for your order.

Old 09-25-2003, 05:34 PM
Thanks APT. I'm pretty new to this whole waxing thing and this seems more complicated than I thought. Oh well we'll see how it works when it comes in. Thanks again.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:32 PM
One more question... I bought the Z7 wash concentrate and Z3 Polish for "regular" paint. Is this the right polish for a brand new truck? Do I need to buy other Zaino products to do a truly good job? Thaks again.

Old 10-01-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by bigsherm77
One more question... I bought the Z7 wash concentrate and Z3 Polish for "regular" paint. Is this the right polish for a brand new truck? Do I need to buy other Zaino products to do a truly good job? Thaks again.
Depending on the color of your truck, for example if it is a light color you want Z2 for Clearcoat paint. If it is a dark color then go with the Z5 it is made for clearcoat as well. Don't be mislead by the Z5 being a swirl remover because it is not.

From all the reading I have done on this forum and others it comes down to Z2 for light colors and Z5 for dark colors.

I personally do not know the chemical difference between the Z2 for clearcoat and the Z3 for regular paint and neither do I know if the Z3 will damage the clearcoat. I use Z2 for my 01 and I wouldn’t even think about using the Z3 “just because I don’t know IF it could cause a problem or and damage to the clearcoat…”

So my recommendation is to NOT use the Z3 unless someone can tell you for sure that it will NOT harm the clearcoat.

Old 10-01-2003, 07:05 PM
I would call, or email Sal with your question on the Z3 on clear-coat paint. He knows his products the best.

As for the question of using all the Zaino paint products for the best possible results.............. I would say yes! For the most part, I would say the same if you were using a Meguiar's system, Mother's system, Platinum system........... or any system for that matter. There are some exceptions, but staying with a product line is usually a safe bet!

Of course, I'm the first to break that rule in my search for "perfection"............... but that will never happen! It is fun trying though!

Old 10-01-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429
I would call, or email Sal with your question on the Z3 on clear-coat paint. He knows his products the best.
Excellent call there Boss...

Here is Sal's email - sal@zainobros.com

Quick Reply: Can I was with gold class, wax with Zaino?