Getting Bugs off Hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Bugs off Hood

i have some bugs that after 4 washes and a waxing are still on my hood...what can i use to take them off...any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks

Old 09-29-2003, 04:20 PM
What I normally do is spray water on every 5 min or so and let em soak for 20 min so that they will loosen up. If there are big chunks I use my fingernail and gently try to get off the big pieces. Your fingernail is pretty soft and if you dont go crazy it shouldnt hurt the paint. If that doesnt do it a clay bar will normally pull off any unwanted contaminants. You can get these at the auto parts store and they are made by meguiars or mothers but you normally have to buy a kit that comes with some wax and detailer and its around $15. You'll be amazed at what the clay can take off. Good luck.

Last edited by Florida-150; 09-29-2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Florida-150 said exactly what I would've said...

Also, in addition to his post, some companies make bug and tar removers however; they aren't exactly 'paint/wax friendly' so, if you do decide to go with a harsh chemical product to attempt to remove the stuck on stuff, you want to make 110% sure that you wax immediately after to ensure you have the proper protection.

I would recommend clay before anything chemical though...

RP

Old 09-29-2003, 05:34 PM
WD-40 softens them up.

Old 09-29-2003, 05:42 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by whetsell
WD-40 softens them up.
Yeah, that's another good option to remove just about anything that is stick on your truck (aka: sticker residue etc)... again, just make sure you wax after your done using it...

RP

Old 09-29-2003, 07:03 PM
Normally, I agree with RP............... however, in this case, I would advise against the fingernail thing to remove bugs. Fingernails can cause scratches in the clear coat.

Anyhow, IMHO, the safest and easiest way to remove bugs, is to apply car wash soap full strength on the bugs, and let it sit for a few minutes. Then come back and wash the vehicle with regular suds.

Still, the full strength soap will also remove the wax, so you'll need to recoat.

Old 09-29-2003, 07:45 PM
I like to use Meguiars detailers mist and let it sit for a while this will usually take them off

Old 09-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by GearHead_1
I like to use Meguiars detailers mist and let it sit for a while this will usually take them off
Ya know, that stuff is pretty damn good. I let it sit on a bird poo spot one time and totally forgot about it.... I came back out to the truck about an hour later and it had completely dissolved the bird poo and just left a tiny spot to wipe up...

RP

Old 09-29-2003, 08:07 PM
Wow! I never thought I would get Rock Pick to back me on Meguiars.

Old 09-29-2003, 10:30 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by GearHead_1
Wow! I never thought I would get Rock Pick to back me on Meguiars.
LOL... A bigger feat would be getting 01 XLT Sport to back you on Meguiars... You know how 'anti-Meguiars' I am.

And you're right boss... I don't really advocate using a fingernail but, I'd have to admit, I've used the technique multiple times... LOL!

RP

Old 10-01-2003, 06:43 PM
A friend of mine is a detailer and he told me to use Lacquer thinner. Tried it in a small, unnoticeable section and the stuff worked great. Bugs came off with no effort. However, once your finished you'll need to liberally wax over the surface. It will leave little white spots but once you rewax they will disappear.

Old 10-01-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Florida-150 said exactly what I would've said...

Also, in addition to his post, some companies make bug and tar removers however; they aren't exactly 'paint/wax friendly' so, if you do decide to go with a harsh chemical product to attempt to remove the stuck on stuff, you want to make 110% sure that you wax immediately after to ensure you have the proper protection.

I would recommend clay before anything chemical though...

RP
Couldn't agree with you more buddy. Oh, how about you edit that aforementioned post of 110% to 100%, because 110% is mathematically impossible…

Old 10-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Well guys the best product I have used to remove bugs is Coca~Cola. Yes it sounds weird but it works great. Just put a little on the bugs then wait a couple of min then wipe off. Something in Coke will just eat up the bugs. I don't know if its the carbonation or what but it works. Makes you kinda hesitant to drink it after you use it to remove bugs on your truck. LOL. Hope this helps.
-Landon

Old 10-14-2003, 11:08 AM
I use Windex to remove the bugs from my chrome bumper. Removes them better than anything I have tried.

However, DON'T USE WINDEX ON YOUR PAINT!

WD40 is my favorite for bugs on paint. Won't scratch or hurt paint.

Old 10-14-2003, 12:32 PM
I know this is totally different than bugs or bird poo, but I've used diet cherry 7-up to remove the tar from my turck. But have not tried it on bugs or poo yet !

Quick Reply: Getting Bugs off Hood