New truck owner - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New truck owner - What to do?

I am a new F150 owner as of 2 weeks ago. I have been looking at different posts that have similar questions I have. I just wondered, what are some hints, recomendations you would give to a new F150 owner? I know #1 is probably a bed liner, which I am planning on getting. Would everyone suggest a bug shield? What options would you put on and in what order. How often and with what would you wash and wax? (I'm stingy, so the Zaino is probably out.) Is stuff you buy at Wal-mart a NO-NO? I saw This Thread on washing. I guess what I am looking for is a few pointers to a new F150 owner.

Thanks in advance!

Matthew

Old 09-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Hello Popa, and Welcome.

Is your truck Blue? A bedliner of some variety is always a good idea. Drop-ins are the cheapest, but they collect a lot of crud underneath. The spray in types are more expensive, but they really last, and can be color matched to your truck. Some guys really like BedRugs. Check the Bedliner Forum for more info.

Bugs sheilds are a very common mod. One trick I learned here was to buy the clear style (often a little cheaper) and a can of color match paint for your truck. The trick is to paint the inside of the sheild. That way the guard matches your color perfectly, and won't scratch.

Cleaning and care products can vary widely in price, so if you get a good deal at WalMart, then good for you. A lot of the more specialized items aren't available at some places, so you get stuck paying whatever they are asking when you find them. The trick is to use a good quality product, there was a thread a while back when someone asked, "What's wrong with Turtle Wax?" Indeed. I'm not hung up on my truck; I bought it for the purpose for which it was intended (Towing/Hauling). That's no excuse for not having it look good, but I'm not going to go crazy if it gets scratched.

Use what works for you, and enjoy your truck. Stop by in General Discussion for a proper welcome.

Old 09-30-2003, 03:05 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For my driving with all the gravel trucks, hood protection is the first thing i would get. I recommend 3M Scotchcal, but a bug shield would be cheaper. I have found the bug shield not effective against bugs on the windshield.

Wash once a week or so with a good car wash shampoo. Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo is cheap by the gallon and effective. For a cheap high quality wax, Meguairs Hi-Tech Yellow #26. About $10 for a 16oz bottle. Skip the Gold Class wax. I don't know what Waxes Walmart sells, but I would skip them. Pick up some other products like glass cleaner, tire dressing, etc., though.

If you want to step up a little, stop by your local Harley Davidson dealer. They sell S100 Shine Enhancing Cleanser and S100 paste wax for about $25/pair. Excellent results with minimal effort.

Old 09-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hesitate to call Meguiars #26 'cheap' however; it is considerably more affordable than Zaino or other synthetics.

Meguiars products are all that I use on all of my vehicles and have had nothing but success with their PROFESSIONAL LINE (it can't be bought at the local Wally-Hell). Gold Class shampoo is something that I typically use as well... great shampoo.

RP

Old 09-30-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by flafonman
Hello Popa, and Welcome.

Is your truck Blue? A bedliner of some variety is always a good idea. Drop-ins are the cheapest, but they collect a lot of crud underneath. The spray in types are more expensive, but they really last, and can be color matched to your truck. Some guys really like BedRugs. Check the Bedliner Forum for more info.
I got the Metalic Grey model. I am considering a Permatech Purple Spray in Bedliner. I might try to post a couple of pictures if I can of the truck and the considered bedliner.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Dont listen to RP or 01 xlt sport, they're full of crap!

Old 09-30-2003, 09:28 PM
Congrats on your new truck. I got my 01 SCrew 3 weeks ago and the previous owner had not washed the truck this YEAR. It was nasty! Who knows when it was last waxed. Anyway I got the truck and cleaned it the way I knew.....liquid dishwashing detergent and Turtle Wax.... and it looked better. After finding this forum and reading the suggestions and advice given here I decided to try it their way. I got some Mequairs wash, polish, wax, Quick Detail, micro-fiber towels, another bucket.
As they say "A picture is worth a thousand words"
As far as the bug deflector, I like the way they look. I don't think it works as good as the one did on my 97 Chevy but that may be due to the hood design? I also added the Window Vent Visors. I would highly suggest the spray on liner. The drop in liners let everything slide around.
Again congrats on the truck!

2001 Ford F-150 XLT SCrew
5.4L, Century Cap, Westin Chrome Nerf Bars

Old 09-30-2003, 09:37 PM
I don't like the way mine looks, but I'm unmotivated to take it off.

Old 10-01-2003, 07:00 AM
APT
RE: cheap Meguiars #26. Implied -> inexpensive, not poor quality.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by APT
RE: cheap Meguiars #26. Implied -> inexpensive, not poor quality.
Understood... just thought I'd clarify. LOL! I've gotta keep you on your toes APT...

Old 10-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Here are a couple pictures

Pictures of the truck, no bedliner.

Old 10-01-2003, 02:31 PM
Moderator &

Nice looking truck!

Old 10-03-2003, 05:29 PM
Nice truck!

I think it needs tinted windows. That would make the silver stand out.

Old 10-03-2003, 07:20 PM
what is scotchcal and where can I find some more info on it?

Old 10-06-2003, 07:02 AM
APT
3M Scotchcal

Several places cut custom pieces for vehicle applications.

www.xpel.com
www.stongard.com
www.invinca-shield.com

I learned about it with my other car which has very soft paint and a low hood. Many owners have it and are very pleased. I did not buy it right away and have countless rock chips on that car. I plan toget the hood repainted in the next couple weeks and then apply some of the film.

I already have it on my F-150.

Quick Reply: New truck owner - What to do?