Zaino - First time application

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Zaino - First time application

Hey Zaino Users,

I just went thru the first application of Zaino on my 2001 Supercrew (Arizona Beige). I have a few questions

Does about 1oz of product (Z5 or Z2) sound about right for each coat ? I could barely tell that I had anything on the truck, very light haze.

How do you know when you should apply more coats of Z5 or Z2 ?

As for the results, I love it. The process took me about 5 hours from start to finish, I did everything from dawn to clay bar to rewash to 2 coats of Z5 and 1 coat of Z2, all follwed by a Z6 wipe down. I never thought metal could feel soft.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 10-06-2003, 10:29 AM
Re: Zaino - First time application

Originally posted by Rollwave88
Hey Zaino Users,

I just went thru the first application of Zaino on my 2001 Supercrew (Arizona Beige). I have a few questions

Does about 1oz of product (Z5 or Z2) sound about right for each coat ? I could barely tell that I had anything on the truck, very light haze.

How do you know when you should apply more coats of Z5 or Z2 ?

As for the results, I love it. The process took me about 5 hours from start to finish, I did everything from dawn to clay bar to rewash to 2 coats of Z5 and 1 coat of Z2, all follwed by a Z6 wipe down. I never thought metal could feel soft.

Any comments would be appreciated.
One ounce sounds about right for a SuperCrew. You'll get it down to about 3/4 of an ounce per coat after you've done a few coats.

You can apply additional coats anytime you want, provided you wait at least 24 hours between coats (unless using ZFX). I actually think the Z looks better if you wait longer than 24 hours........... like a week or so.

You're in good shape now, as all you need to do is wash, Z6, and add additional coats!

Old 10-06-2003, 01:16 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An ounce is too much, but not bad for the first time. I haven't used Zaino on my Screw yet, but I expect about 3 coats from an ounce.

Anyway, When will you need to apply more? It depends. I'd say you are good for at least 3 months. I try to get 3 coats on and go all winter, Nov to March at least.

Old 10-06-2003, 01:19 PM
Wow, three coats from an ounce is amazing. I will definitely try to make it go farther next time.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:01 PM
APT,

Wow! Three coats from an ounce............ that is good!

Old 10-07-2003, 08:32 AM
When I first started using Zaino, I kept thinking I wasn't putting on enough therefore I was using over an ounce on my Supercab..... When I became comfortable with the product and knew I was still applying enough, I got my ap amount down to about 3/4 ounce. Then I began using the Z6 on my applicator to apply the Z2 and the product really goes much further........
Getting 3 coats out of an ounce is really great self control!!!!

Last edited by DonnyD; 10-07-2003 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:34 AM
APT
Tip:

A little Z6 on a foam pad then add whatever number you like.

Old 10-11-2003, 10:09 AM
APT,

I have been a Meguiar's guy for a long time now. Just like RP, I love to wax my truck and don't mind the extra time it takes to apply it and get the desired shine. However, after reading about the Zaino I have been considering ordering some to give it a try. I got a couple questions though regarding the application. I know you say use the Z6 to wet the applicator to help stretch out the others. My question is this do you wet the applicator multiple times or just once when you start? Also, I have been looking into the Collinites since I have seen great reviews from 3rd parties that have been unbiased to great extent. So, what are your opinions on Collinite vs. Z vs. Meguiar's (pro of course). Trying to decide if the Z is going to fit my budget as well as my intense desire to shine my truck. I know that the Z gives a killer shine but is there a difference in depth of shine or warmth of color? I like the typical warmth of color that carnauba wax adds to the darker colors so will the Z give me that affect? Also what about adding a coat of carnauba over the Z to get the best of both worlds? I know alot of questions here but don't really want to spend a ton to get the Z and not be happy with it. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 10-11-2003, 10:53 AM
Went ahead and ordered the Z, I have been waffling on the idea for a couple months now so I decided to go ahead and take the plunge. Besides at worst if I don't like the results I can always go back to the Meguiar's right.. Anyway hope it doesn't take too long to get here. I still want answers to my previous questions though so anyone able to provide the answers please feel free to chime in here. Thanks again everyone.

Old 10-12-2003, 09:22 PM
APT
Never used Collonite so I cannot compare. People like the results, but I hear it can be difficult to remove. Zaino is pretty easy to remove. As for Meguiars, I have never used #26. Only #2, #9, and #83 polishes which I tihnk are great. Just used #9 yesterday on one of my cars, followed by 4 coats of Zaino Z2.

Depth, well, I would never call Zaino warm. I find it rather hard and reflective on dark colers and super bright on light colors. If you have ever used Gold Class, that is a similar look to Zaino, but Z lasts longer. For dark colors I recommend Z5 because it does take a little edge off the sharp reflections. Anyway, finding the right look can mean different products for different colors. I was happy with Z5 on my old Deep Wedgewood Blue F-150. I was not so happy wih it on my Graphite Grey Pearl Lexus. I do like Zaino on my black car. Haven't used it on the new truck, Dark Highland Green. Coming soon for winter protection, though.

What color do you have?

You may or may not like how Zaino looks. You may not even notice. But get 3 coats on there because that is the true Zaino look. 1-2 coats looks good, but not much different than other fien products. If you don't end up liking how Zaino looks, use a carnuba topper, like #26. At least you'll never have to worry about the wax being gone over winter if you don't get a chance to get another coat on.

Z6 on the applicator: The goal is to keep the applicator damp. This usually means about 3-4 sprays for a coat on an F-150. Two sprays on my RX-7.

Last edited by APT; 10-12-2003 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:48 AM
I have the Burgundy Red Metallic. Actual color is called Pearlized Raspberry Merlot (or something real similar to that). Anyway it is a dark Red metallic. Here is a pic. Anyway, you answered an important question there. I can still add a coat of M over the Z if it doesn't give me exactly what I want. At the least it will only add additional layers of protection not to mention UV which I don't recall the Meguiars having.

Old 10-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Faithfull zaino owner here

I've been using it on our Cobra for about 1 1/2 years, now just did the new truck. Did the clay & 2 coats of z5, 1 of z2 (so far). I used about 3/4 ounce for our super cab. 2 coats to a ounce for the Cobra.

Here's a pic of the truck.

I just got the applicator wet with water, wrung it out GOOD, then 1 spritz of z6, last through the whole wehicle.

Old 10-16-2003, 01:14 PM
I have another question about zaino.

I have heard that a good quality wax helps prolong the life of the paint because it doesnt let it dry out and I guess keeps it somewhat 'moisturized'. Does zaino help protect the paint as well as a good coat of wax? I dont want to use it and it look good for a couple years and then the paint start to deteriorate. Thanks for any input!!!

Old 10-18-2003, 03:20 AM
Florida150

I am by far no Zaino expert (being new to it myself) but from what I understand from my reading and APT, correct me if I am wrong here. But, the Z bonds to the paint and seals it to prevent the "moisture" from getting away and at the same time replenishes it with the same paint conditioners that any premium wax does.

Now from a different standpoint. The hype that many of these companies use as a marketing tactic is that they say it restores natural oils and such to a paints finish but the truth be told the paint when totally cured can no longer lose any moisture. What causes the breakdown of gloss is oxidation of the paint. Oxidation is caused by the various elements combining with paint particles at a molecular level which in turn results with a total different molecular structure that is dull. If you create a barrier with any paint friendly sealant or wax your paint will stay protected and looking top notch as long as you repeat the application process at the recommended intervals.

Old 10-18-2003, 05:10 PM
APT
Oxidation, acid rain, and brid crap are the three primary problems with today's paint. Wax or sealant will help protect it.

Quick Reply: Zaino - First time application