What do you use for???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you use for???

swirles and light scratches? my black truck has lots of them and i have tired everthing and they are still there? what do you suggest????

Old 10-12-2003, 02:04 AM
Re: What do you use for???

Originally posted by Spanky99L
swirles and light scratches? my black truck has lots of them and i have tired everthing and they are still there? what do you suggest????

If they are truely light swirls / scratches, I'd recommend Meguiars #9 swirl remover. It's worked really well on the vehicles I've used it on. May take a couple coats, but it should work for ya. Just make sure to put a good coat of wax on when you're done with the #9.

Good luck.

-Mike-

Old 10-12-2003, 12:42 PM
Re: Re: What do you use for???

Originally posted by BigDeal
If they are truely light swirls / scratches, I'd recommend Meguiars #9 swirl remover. It's worked really well on the vehicles I've used it on. May take a couple coats, but it should work for ya. Just make sure to put a good coat of wax on when you're done with the #9.

Good luck.

-Mike-

been there done that

didn't work

Old 10-12-2003, 02:19 PM
Hard to beat Meguiar's #9 for light swirls. Poorboy's SSR1 is also another fine light swirl remover.

Old 10-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Meguiars #9.

Old 10-12-2003, 05:02 PM
I'm not trying to sell you on Meguiars. That's RockPick's job (O.K., O.K. I use a ton of their concours colection). You might like to take a look on Meguiars web site, they have a couple of videos using their products and buffer to get rid of swirls. It might be helpful and I thought it was interesting. By the way, the Porter Cable buffers that they sell are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Don't buy theirs however you can find it a lot cheaper.

Old 10-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Re: Re: Re: What do you use for???

Originally posted by Spanky99L
been there done that

didn't work
If the #9 is too light to do the job, then I'd recommend Meguiars DACP (Dual Action Cleaner/Polish). For best results, this stuff needs to go on with a DA buffer. All I'd suggest beyond that is to be extremely careful since you've got the color (Black) that will show a mistake more than any other.

Good luck.

-Mike-

Old 10-12-2003, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: What do you use for???

Originally posted by BigDeal
If the #9 is too light to do the job, then I'd recommend Meguiars DACP (Dual Action Cleaner/Polish). For best results, this stuff needs to go on with a DA buffer. All I'd suggest beyond that is to be extremely careful since you've got the color (Black) that will show a mistake more than any other.

Good luck.

-Mike-
What he said.

Old 10-12-2003, 09:14 PM
Moderator &

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What do you use for???

Originally posted by Intel486
What he said.
Intel is back (and lurking in the shadows). Good to see you bud...

RP

Old 10-15-2003, 10:26 PM
Moderator &

Right now Spanky's problem seems to be scratching as he's removing the #9.... he notes that there are tiny 'spider' scratches in the EXACT direction that he uses his towel to remove the polish.

Anyone care to take a stab at this one that has black? I've tried to help and apparently I'm not hitting the mark.

I've suggested using REALLY nice bath towels (the expensive ones that are very soft) versus the Costco towels that he's using that come in a plastic bag but, I'm not sure that's made any difference.

I've suggested MF but, again, I'm not sure if he's tried it. It got to be a quiet conversation on AOL IM when I was trying to help.

Can anyone help this guy out?

RP

Old 10-16-2003, 07:05 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quality MF is the way to go if the problem lies in swirl remover removal. Could be the wash mitt as well.

Old 10-16-2003, 07:15 AM
Well,

It could be a number of things. First, I agree with RP, I would scrap the Costco towels in favor of some high quality towels (especially on black) .............. either cotton or MF. Also make sure that all the "dried" residue is wiped up completley after each small section, as the dried residue can also cause swirls.

Next, if using #9, make sure not to overwork the product. Working #9 until absoultely dry can induce more swirls. Wiping the residue off might be showing the swirls that already exist. The #9 or SFP (Swirl Free Polish) should be worked until they just start to dust up a bit, leaving what some call a wet edge. If the swirls are not gone at that point, add more #9 rather than overworking it.

Anyhow, without seeing the paint, it's hard to say much more.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-17-2003, 06:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Not being a wise-@ss, but are you in the shade when you are working the swirl issue ?

A friend of mine was complaining how hard it was to get his black truck to look "showroom new", even with buffers, polishes, etc.

It seems working on hot paint was a big no-no with regards to swirls, haze, etc.

Old 10-17-2003, 05:40 PM
Its a POS truck thats why Spank.

JK.

Old 10-17-2003, 05:49 PM
well if these guys cant seem to help i would bring it to the body shop and ask them what they use. I know i have use some of the suggestions for detailing my truck and they worked great. A body shop wont charge you to just ask some question. but i am sure if you try to get him to show you he will want to charge you for it. good luck in getting rid of the swrils.