Best place to buy Meguiars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best place to buy Meguiars and thoughts...

Where is the best place to get Meguiars online? Also, I want to polish it, and read I should not get the Meguiars Gold, so I am looking at M-2616 (Hi-Tech yellow wax) and possibly M-0716 (Show Car Glaze) . Both of these are 16 oz., which I don't know how long it will last. Any thoughts? Don't want to go with Zaino, because of the price. I want it to last awhile, but not bite my pocketbook.

Thanks!

Last edited by Popasmurf; 10-13-2003 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:14 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see how a bottle of Z1 and Z2 cost any more than Meguairs #26 and #7, but anyway....

Best place for Meguairs is probably a local shop. I have seen different bottles at Napa, Autozone, Advance, and Sherwin Automotive to name a few.

Old 10-13-2003, 02:22 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Best place to buy Meguiars and thoughts...

Originally posted by Popasmurf
Where is the best place to get Meguiars online? Also, I want to polish it, and read I should not get the Meguiars Gold, so I am looking at M-2616 (Hi-Tech yellow wax) and possibly M-0716 (Show Car Glaze) . Both of these are 16 oz., which I don't know how long it will last. Any thoughts? Don't want to go with Zaino, because of the price. I want it to last awhile, but not bite my pocketbook.

Thanks!
Numerous places sell it online but, they're all within pennies of eachother on price. First, I'd try ebay. This is one of the few places that you stand a chance of actually getting a good deal on real Meguiars Professional products. Be careful though, some sell VERY OLD products there thus, make sure you're getting 'fresh' stuff and not something that sat on a dusty shelf for 10 years.

Second, I'd just go to www.meguiars.com and order what you need. It's a safe and secure website or, if you wish, you can call them and order over the phone with a credit card.

The two products that you've mentioned, #7 and #26, are HIGH QUALITY products. I have both in my array of Meguiars products and think that they are great. You won't be sorry.

First, you'll want to make sure that the surface of your vehicle is properly prepped. This might involve claying the vehicle or using a chemical paint cleaner to make sure that there are no blemishes or oxidation. This is THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP to a great finish and maximum longevity.

If you have swirls in your paint or, you have a dark vehicle, you might want to consider Meguiars #9 as it contains a certain degree of fillers and is slightly more abrasive than the #7 which will help to eliminate those pesky swirls. If not, go with the #7.

I would recommend applying at least two coats of #7 before going to the #26. It **WILL** make a difference in appearance.

Once you're done with the #7 application, this is where the #26 comes in. You can apply as many coats of the #26 as you want and you'll see better and deeper results after each coat. It's a pretty durable carnauba wax however; you're not going to get the durability that a synthetic like Zaino will provide but, in my honest opinion, your shine and depth results will be just as nice (personal experience here with both products so don't flame me for the opinion you silly Zainoids). I would recommend 2 or 3 coats of the #26 and reapplication after 3 months or so. This is just a suggestion and it will vary depending on your environmental conditions.

I hope that helps out just a little and hasn't confused you as I know I jumped around randomly. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at: kingranch@hotmail.com I use Meguiars almost exclusively on my truck and have had nothing but EXCELLENT results but, you're right on the Gold Class (according to others). The shine is huge but the durability lasts weeks... not months.

RP

Old 10-13-2003, 03:15 PM
Re: Re: Best place to buy Meguiars and thoughts...

Originally posted by RockPick

First, you'll want to make sure that the surface of your vehicle is properly prepped. This might involve claying the vehicle or using a chemical paint cleaner to make sure that there are no blemishes or oxidation. This is THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP to a great finish and maximum longevity.
I don't know how comfortable I feel claying a vehicle. From what I read on here, I need to be VERY careful claying a vehicle, and I am nervous enought washing and waxing it correctly...

Old 10-13-2003, 03:15 PM

I don't know how comfortable I feel claying a vehicle. From what I read on here, I need to be VERY careful claying a vehicle, and I am nervous enough washing and waxing it correctly...

Old 10-13-2003, 03:22 PM
WAL-MART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Moderator &

Re: Re: Re: Best place to buy Meguiars and thoughts...

Originally posted by Popasmurf
I don't know how comfortable I feel claying a vehicle. From what I read on here, I need to be VERY careful claying a vehicle, and I am nervous enough washing and waxing it correctly...
Claying the vehicle is VERY simple. There's really nothing to be afraid of (although, I'll admit that I was nervous the first time I did it).

It makes a HUGE difference in optical appearance and overall feel. Your paint should feel JUST LIKE GLASS. It should have NO rough feel what so ever. Clay is the way...

All you have to do is make sure that the surface is properly lubricated with quick detailer or soapy water. It's still one of the best kept secrets to making a HUGE difference in auto finish appearance.

I shant comment on the Wal-Mart reply....

RP

Old 10-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by priddyboy
WAL-MART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rather be shot or let the vehicle rust

Old 10-13-2003, 08:09 PM
To add to the excellent, outstanding and well written advice of Mr. Meguires (aka RockPick) about the aforementioned claying of the vehicle there is one thing that is very IMPORTANT to remember about the clay.

If you drop it on the ground, it is NO GOOD. Consider it lost and no longer useable. It can pick up very small particles of dirt and you may not even see them HOWEVER, if you continue to clay with the dropped clay you may very well see the little dirt particles you could not see with your eyes as real nice scratches all over the truck.

I am a bufferwussaphobic, in others words I would never use a buffer on my paint. Scared to death of doing damage to the paint. I had no problems with using the clay on the truck. Very easy to do and no damage.

When claying keep the surface lubricating well. It is best to use a small bucket with what ever car wash soap you’re using. If you don’t keep it lubricated you stand a very good chance of the clay sticking on the paint (no damage) but that is how you can easily drop it (personal experience).

Turn or kneed the clay often. In other words do a few areas then fold the clay into itself exposing clay not yet used. Just continuing doing that and you should be fine.

You will know when the area being clayed is done because the clay, when lubricated will slid very easy and you won’t feel any resistance. When you clay areas were you feel slight resistance is where you will want to turn or kneed the clay after completion of that area. Because where ever you feel resistance is where you are picking up particles with the clay.

Old 10-13-2003, 08:20 PM

It's a pretty durable carnauba wax however; you're not going to get the durability that a synthetic like Zaino will provide but, in my honest opinion, your shine and depth results will be just as nice (personal experience here with both products so don't flame me for the opinion you silly Zainoids). I would recommend 2 or 3 coats of the #26 and reapplication after 3 months or so. This is just a suggestion and it will vary depending on your environmental conditions.

RP
RockPick,

Help me out here. Remember I'm with you as far as Meguiars goes. I have about every Professional/Concours product they make. I am however a big fan of the Porter Cable buffer. My question here is with regard to your use of the term "synthetic". Though #26 is a Carnuba wax, it also contains synthetic polymers, resins and silicones. I like #26 alot. I also like Medallion. Tell me what you are referring to, I'm not sure I understand your definition here.

Old 10-13-2003, 08:30 PM
JD
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada (originally from Kearny, New Jersey)
I'm like you Popasmurf, wanting to take the plunge but afraid to screw something up. Whatever happened to the good old days of just using Rain Dance or New Finish?

I always thought they worked great protecting and shining but everyone really has me curious as to what kind of shine these other products can bring out...

Last edited by JD; 10-13-2003 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:09 AM
GearHead_1,

Until RP gets back to you, I'll take a stab at answering that question. The "synthetic" waxes that RP was refering to like Zaino, Klasse, and UPP, contain all synthetic (man made) ingredients (like polymers) unlike carnauba which is a natural product. Yes, the #26 contains some polymers (synthetics), and some silicones, but it's base product is still pure yellow carnauba........... and quite a nice base at that!

Last edited by Boss_429; 10-14-2003 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:12 AM
Moderator &

Just like Boss mentioned, I was merely referring to the 'true synthetics' out there like Zaino, Klasse, etc.

I'm aware that #26 is a carnauba based wax with added synthetic ingredients thus, with that being said, I suppose when I say 'synthetic' I'm simply referring to non-carnauba based waxes.

Medallion, like #26, is a carnauba based product as well.

JD - I understand exactly what you're saying about the 'old school' products that are still readily available however; trust me on this one ole' chap, the products that we've been discussing in this thread (everything from Z to Meguiars) really are better. They go on easier, come off MUCH easier, and provide a better level of protection. It's just like any other market out there, the technology has gotten better over time. But, I'll say what I've always said... if you really like the Rain Dance or another product, stick with it. It's your opinion on YOUR truck that counts... just my 2 cents.

RP

Old 10-14-2003, 08:55 AM
Most of you have already stumbled across this at one time or another but for those who haven't you may find this interesting.

From Griots Garage:

"carnauba in its natural state (shown in chip form.) It's about as hard as a brick and needs petroleum distillates, mineral spirits, and other ingredients to make it soft enough to apply to your paint. You've seen other waxes advertised as "100% carnauba wax," but unless you are buying it in brick or chip form, it's just plain false advertising. Truth is, the maximum amount of carnauba that you can put in a paste wax is about 30%"

Old 10-14-2003, 11:08 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meguiars makes a longer lasting sealant as well, #20.

Quick Reply: Best place to buy Meguiars?