Swirls

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swirls

I'm starting to get swirls on my Toreador Red truck, does anybody know how to get rid of them. When I wax it seems to get worse.

Old 10-24-2003, 11:19 PM
Wax certainly won't get them out, and if waxing seems to be inducing more swirls, then your using bad applicators/towels, or both to apply/remove the wax. Same thing goes for washing........ good mitts to wash............ good towels to dry!

Anyhow, you'll need to polish the vehicle with a swirl remover like Meguiar's #9, or Poorboy's SSR1 to try and remove the swirls. You may even have to go to a more aggressive product like Meguiar's DACP, or Poorboy's SSR2. The #9, or SSR1 can be applied by hand, while the DACP or SSR2 really need to be applied with at least an orbital buffer, or better yet, a rotary buffer. In some severe cases, an even more aggressive product needs to be used to remove the swirls............. again, this is strictly rotary country.

Keep in mind............ using a rotary buffer requires a great deal of skill, so you should take it to a pro detailer if the lighter polishes don't get the swirls out............... or live with the swirls!

Good luck!

Old 10-24-2003, 11:20 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to use a mildly abrasive polish such as Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover or similar PRIOR to waxxing.

Apply a few coats of #9 (available at most Pep Boys or AutoZone). Follow the directions explictly, and then apply a QUALITY wax. You'll love the results.

RP

Old 10-24-2003, 11:21 PM
Moderator &

Dang boss... were you sitting waiting with that response pre-typed out? I was the 4th viewer on this thread and you beat me to it... with a substantially longer response. LOL!

RP

Old 10-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
Dang boss... were you sitting waiting with that response pre-typed out? I was the 4th viewer on this thread and you beat me to it... with a substantially longer response. LOL!

RP
RP,

Nope, wasn't pre-typed................. but that's not a bad idea?

Old 10-25-2003, 11:15 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Boss_429
RP,

Nope, wasn't pre-typed................. but that's not a bad idea?
Sure could've fooled me...

But, it might not be a bad idea.... we could get them together for swirls, clay, car washing, etc (the standard questions).

RP

Old 10-27-2003, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. What do you guys think about clay bars and wehere can I get one. Every autozone I goto ask me what they are.

Old 10-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Moderator &

Autozone used to carry the ClayMagic system but, as of lately, I haven't seen it on the shelves.

Clay is an EXCELLENT RESOURCE for removing stuck on contamination on your paint and is essential for a good surface preparation regime (in my opinion).

You might try contacting properautocare.com or checking on meguiars.com .

Both sell quality goods and I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

Feel free to shoot us additional questions as they arise!

RP

Old 10-27-2003, 05:48 PM
walmart sells mothers clay bar

Old 10-28-2003, 06:38 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW, clay bar will not remove swirls or even over them. I still recommend it for people to use, but know their purpose - like RP said - surface contamination.

Get yourself some mild polish, like Meguiars Professional #9 is readily availible.

What kind of wax are you using? If the swirls are more evident after waxing, then whatever you used to apply or remove the wax is adding them. Maybe it it time to repalce your towels/applicators. I recommend good quality microfober towels and a mix of foam and cotton applicators.

Old 10-29-2003, 02:35 PM
I've been using Zymol but the last time I used Meguire's Gold Class. I've been using the aplicators that you can buy at Walmart. Although I read on Megure's website about a special cloth to remove the wax, but I haven't found it anywhere.

Old 10-29-2003, 06:19 PM
That special cloth is a MF towel!

Old 10-29-2003, 06:48 PM
Moderator &

MF = Microfiber... Meguiars sells it under the name 'Ultimate Wipe'.

RP

Old 10-29-2003, 08:52 PM
I have a red 2002 FX4, I have swirls as well. I use meguiars wax, 100% cotton applicators and baby diapers to wax my truck. I am taking it into a detail shop this weekend to have the swirls professionally removed. I don't own a rotary buffer and to buy a good one is expensive (Not to say that the detail shop isn't, but they guarantee to remove all the swirls). What is a good meguiars wax that works good on darkers paint jobs? I also heard that 100 percent cotton to remove wax is better than syntheitc microfibers? Or are synthetic towels microfiber towels different? What about drying my truck after I was, I have a tried everything what is the best for the paint? Don't want to get swirls again after I pay 150 bones to get it fixed this weekend.

Old 10-29-2003, 09:14 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you bought the truck new and always used certain towels and it has swirls, then I would get rid of them and use somwthing new. Microfiber is where detailing is at. I know no one that will go back and the reluctant ones just don't want to spend some money.

Check out www.pakshak.com and e-mail him for his prices as he has a discount program if you belong to certain groups. Also, Jt international sells great towels for a bit cheaper. No web site, just e-mail jtintern@hotmail.com for quick service. Both guys are great to work with and have excellent products for reasonable prices.

MF Terry for polish/wax removal, quick detailing, windows, and interior detailing. Waffleweave for drying water.

Quick Reply: Swirls