Get Schooled

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 09:37 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get Schooled

I'm not sure if I've posted this link in the past but, it offers answers to MANY standard questions about surface care. Yes, it's a Meguiars' link thus, if you hate Meguiars or just want to bash the products, don't go there...

Otherwise, it's a pretty decent tool to learn a few things like: How Swirl Marks Happen, and How to Accurately Assess your Paint...

GET SCHOOLED!

RP

Old 10-27-2003, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great link RP.... with a lot of info for anyone researching care of a car /truck finish...............

I can add another small hint to determine how much contamination there is on a painted surface.

Place a plastic bag (wal-mart, grocery or trash bag) over your hand and then slide your hand along the surface of your paint. Anything on the surface will feel like a rock! Something about the plastic amplifies the contaminants size....... I use this method to show the difference before and after clar bar............

Old 10-27-2003, 07:24 AM
Excellent link bro...

Old 10-27-2003, 07:58 AM
That's an excellent link RP!

Here's another good one:

http://www.autopia.ws/index.php

Old 10-28-2003, 09:42 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never heard of the plastic bag trick. Interesting... Any threat of scratching with it? It doesn't seem like the ideal material to run across the paint *shrugs*

I had always been taught the 'hand along the paint' trick.

RP

Old 10-28-2003, 04:53 PM
Well, I've tried it, and it works. However, I'm real careful when I do it for the reason you pointed out!

Old 11-05-2003, 12:35 AM
Boss,

Your Autopia link list a "Protection" step where they talk about applying an acrylic polymer. Which Mequiar or Zaino product is an acrylic polymer?

Bill

Old 11-05-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
I've never heard of the plastic bag trick. Interesting... Any threat of scratching with it? It doesn't seem like the ideal material to run across the paint *shrugs*

I had always been taught the 'hand along the paint' trick.

RP
I had the same thought when I was shown the trick a couple of years ago........ I typically only run the "plastic bag over hand" lightly over a small area.... I use a Kroger or Wal-mart bag usually. Quite revealing I must say and excellent to show the before and after of any paint cleaner... especially clay bar.......

Great link to the Mequiars info and even a Zainoid (Like me) can always learn something from another point of view.

Quick Reply: Get Schooled