Rain-X, Fog-X, Wiper Fluid & a new member

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain-X etc

I use Rain-X on the back window of my shell and that seems to work ok. Doesn't last very long, but works better than nothing for that application. Based on this discussion I might try just waxing it.

Castrol makes a Rain-X competing product. I can not remember the name of it. It was recommended to me at an auto store so bought it tried it on my wifes winshield. GAWD what an awful product!!!! IT WAS THE PITS. The winshield smeared big time with every swipe of the wipers and it did nothing that was positive. I followed the directions, I put on multiple coats. . . . never again. To remove it I AGGRESSIVELY used barkeepers friend (sort of like BonAmi but better) over and over. Probably took a dozen sessions to get almost all of it off.

As far as the windshield fluid . . . I have tried lots of them and like only one. 20/10 is great stuff. It really works well and provides freezing protection (to what level I don't remember off hand, but adequate for my needs).

One last comment on the windshield washer fluids . . . don't ever use windex or other cleaning products that have alcohol in them. The alcohol will ruin the gaskets in the fluid tank and corrode the washer motor. I did that once and had to buy new ones. Stick with soaps like 20/10. In a pinch? then you can use a LITTLE dish washing soap in water until you can get back to good stuff.

Tom

Quick Reply: Rain-X, Fog-X, Wiper Fluid & a new member