Rain-X, Fog-X, Wiper Fluid & a new member

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain-X, Fog-X, Wiper Fluid & a new member

Hi all - Let me start by introducing myself as this is my first post (I've been lurking the past week and finally decided to register today because y'all seem like such a cool bunch.)

I just bought my first truck on Saturday (see basic specs on sig) and I couldn't be happier with it. Now I'm glad to have found a place to go when I have questions or just need to sneak in a "truck-talk" fix while I'm at work and can't be driving.

So, I've really enjoyed all the info provided in the body care section and I've started to amass a collection of waxes, washes, and equipment to use this weekend (I live in the midwest and it's now getting too dark by the time I get home from work.) I got some McGuiars wax from the local Autozone as a quick fix but reading up on Zaino you guys have made me a believer. I'll be ordering some of that when I find the time.

So here are a couple of questions - and I hope I haven't missed these somewhere else:
1 - Anyone use the rain-x, fog-x, etc products and what do you think of them? I bought a can of Stoner's Invisible Glass (thanks again, members) and didn't know if that would just strip the rain-x? I'd appreciate any insight/experiences.
2 - (How obsessive is this?) Any thoughts on wiper fluids that I should check out/avoid? Remember, midwesterner here so I'd like to find something with an anti-freezing agent. (I've made that mistake once - going 70 on the interstate in my old daytona - spray a little washer fluid and the next thing I know there's an ice sheet on the glass. yikes.)

That's it for now. Thanks all!

Old 10-31-2003, 12:48 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome and thanks for the compliment (about being a cool bunch).

Just a few comments. Don't sell Meguiars products short. Your effort plays a larger roll in how your truck will look than what product you use. The primary difference between Meguirs professional line and Zaino (besides any different look if you can even tell) is longevity. I prefer to use Zaino in the winter so I know it is protected and I don't have to apply a coat of caraurba every month or two. Too cold in the midwest as you know. All I need to do is hit a touchless car wash and maybe whip out the WW towel to help dry.

1) I don't use Rain-X, Fog-X or any such similar product. Use a glass polish, then apply a wax if you'd like. Also, I use Bosch Microedge Excell's that coat the windshield with silicone. Anyway, I'm just saying that I have a similar effect (although maybe not as heavy) in the rain. I don't have to use my wipers all the time under certain conditions. The problem is rarely the rain from the sky, but the spray from other vehicles kicking up the road grime and oil. Keep your windshield clean and you won't need any special products.

2) I use the cheap stuff. All I need is water on my windshield to help clean it. I have tried many brands and lines, and the only difference I notice is the scent.

Last edited by APT; 10-31-2003 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:25 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you.

To answer your questions...

1. I don't use rain-x (anymore) and I have tried the fog-x. First, Rain-X is an EXCELLENT product (IMO) but, I've found that I simply don't need it when I keep my windshield waxxed/detailed. Water beads off just as well with or without it thus, I don't use it anymore.

Fog-X sounds great by theory... then again, so does Communism. I found that all it did was streak up the inside of my glass and offer a 'merky' look. It did, however, keep fog from forming.

As a sidenote, if you're looking to keep fog off of eyeglasses or something like that, try GEL TOOTHPASTE. (a little cycling trick from years ago).

2. Like APT, I use the cheap stuff too. I never found any advantage to the more expensive stuff. I rarely use it anyway.

RP

Old 10-31-2003, 02:42 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by APT
Just a few comments. Don't sell Meguiars products short. Your effort plays a larger roll in how your truck will look than what product you use....
APT has a very good point here that I missed while skimming his response earlier.

Meguiar manufactures several high quality products and have been in business over 100 years. Their name is well respected within the realm of professional detailers world wide.

I use their products almost exclusively and am continously blown away with the results. Zaino, too, is a good product. I've tried both (thanks again APT for the sample). Long story short, I enjoy waxxing and detailing my truck (as many do) thus, I don't see a huge advantage to going with Z.

My truck has the same depth as anyone out there using Z. I have protection that rivals that of Z, I just don't have the longevity that Z provides and, for me, that's fine.

The bottom line is, find something you like and use it regularly. I've found something that I not only like, I LOVE IT. It's readily available and relatively cheap. I don't have any intentions on changing products.

RP

Old 10-31-2003, 02:53 PM
windshield wax?

what kind of wax do you use on your winshield? do you put it on/ take it off the same as the body?

Old 10-31-2003, 03:02 PM
APT
Wahtever wax I use on the body, I use on the paint. I have used Gold Class, S100, and Zaino Z2 and Z5. Apply it in the same manor. But, get it clean and polished first. If you don't have glass polish, any mild body paint will work too, like Meguiars #9.

Old 10-31-2003, 03:05 PM
I use Meguiars #7 or 9 polish on the truck and windshield, followed by the #29 (I think) yellow wax.

It works great, water beads off like mad.

Also, be sure and get the good blinker fluid, it helps out a lot!

Last edited by PhillipSVT; 10-31-2003 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:05 PM
Rain-X is excellent! I use it on all the vehicles in our household.

Old 10-31-2003, 05:53 PM
Welcome aboard and glad to have you…

I am with these guys:

First, as to a wax or polish, I use Zaino and absolutely love it. As RockPick and APT mentioned Meguires is a fine product as well and you can achieve basically the same results with it as with Zaino. The only real difference is longevity as RockPick mentioned. Zaino will last longer, I have had it last for over 6 months and still look like it was just polished.

The one other difference I would note is that with Zaino you do NOT have to use a buffer. It is not needed and you really will not improve the shine of Zaino with a buffer as you “might” with Meguires. RockPick uses Meguires and does not use a buffer and gets an absolutely beautiful shine that would match Zaino. However for some, like me, I can not achieve that kind of shine with a wax with no buffer.

For #1, I don’t use Rain-X or any of that. I simple keep the windshield clean and every few months polish it like some of the others have mentioned.

For #2, again I am with these guys and just use the cheap $1 stuff here that is made for cold (-40 degrees) for winter. Never had any problems with it, doesn’t harm the paint of polish.

Lot of good information here and APT, RockPick and many others have a lot of experience that can help you out.

Old 10-31-2003, 08:50 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by PhillipSVT
I use Meguiars #7 or 9 polish on the truck and windshield, followed by the #29 (I think) yellow wax.
He meant to say #26.

Old 10-31-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
He meant to say #26.

He did!!!!

Old 11-05-2003, 05:49 PM
I used to live in Davenport, and RainX is great for easy removal of snow and ice. It also cuts down on the formation of the ice dams on the windshield and they break away when they get big. The stuff is a pain in the A** to apply when cold. The RainX wash has a much lower Freeze/Slush point than other washes. Also it will refresh the RainX if you run into rain, sleet, and snow. It has a tendency to leave an unslightly visible film on the paint that will wash off. What Tires do you have? With my Generals the truck is like a Cow on ice in the snow! Whats the lowest temp. you've seen? I saw 38 below, with no snow on the ground.

Old 11-05-2003, 08:26 PM
wax on, wax off, Daniel-san.

Rain-X is a pain. I think they changed the formula. It works but doesnt seem to last very long.

Get some good wipers and you have no problems. If your wiper arm springs are getting weak, they have the cheapo springs you can put on the outside of the wiper arm to help out.

As far as washer fluid, get the kind that is rated for very cold.

These days, they don't even sell the -30C stuff in Toronto area. Its all the -40 and -45. (although I think this is just so they can sell the more expensive stuff). Any make will do but go with the super cold rated and no freezing on the windsheild.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:31 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by PhillipSVT
He did!!!!
Uhh.. okay.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:52 AM
Hey, you guys.......... I find it interesting that most of you wax your windshields........

At one time, I also waxed my windshield but started noticing that white specs ( leftover wax) showed up more as the windshield "aged" from pecs etc...... Any way to relieve this? I'd love to replace the Rain-X treatment I use as it sometimes is a bear to remove and I agree that it doesn't seem to last as long as it used to...............

Being one of the Zainoids around here, I once applied Z-2 to my windshield and although nothing stuck to it and rain just hit and was gone, my wipers (when used) would chatter like hell.......... even the new PIAA silcones I bought..........

Now as some have said, I just keep my windshile clean, using Zaino Clear View, and Stoners and an occasional splash of Rain-x........ But I have to say just keeping it clean seems to be the best thing.

As APT and RP stated, both Zaino and Mequiars are great products and a great shine can be achieved with either. I wanted to reduce how much I had to wax my truck to keep that fresh shine so I switched from M to Z and it truly does last much longer.

One of these days, when RP finds something else to spend his "Polishing" time on, he too will be a convert to Z.......LOL

WARNING: That was not a statement on RP's love life.......

Quick Reply: Rain-X, Fog-X, Wiper Fluid & a new member