Clay Magic kit for under $10

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay Magic kit for under $10

I was walking around the new Super Wal-Mart and saw that they had a Clay Magic kit (100mg bar/ 12oz lube) for under $10.00. I realize that it's 1/2 the size of the "pro" size bar, but it's more than 1/2 the price as well. If you really want the 200mg size bar, you could get 2 of these and still save around $12.

Just thought I'd share

Chknbone

Old 11-06-2003, 06:05 AM
That's cool. I use the Z clay bars but I cut them in half. Not to mention I am not even sure what the mg of the Z clay bars are. Just know they come 2 to the container and seem to be the same size I was getting in the previous California Gold clay kit. Anyway next time I need more clay I will go to the local Wal-Mart.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:33 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are ordering Zaino, the price is fair for two bars. I picked up a Clay magic kit for $10 at Autozone, but haven't used up my Z-18 yet.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:42 AM
Yeah I got the Zaino clay bars. Now that I think about it they are only like $18 for two bars anyway. Although they don't come with a lubricant you can make up your own lubricant with the Z wash and some water anyway so that wouldn't be an issue and would probably be cheaper to stay with the Z clay bars.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:46 AM
Correction the Z-18 bars are only $16 and change and I figure by the time I need more clay bars I will need more of the other products anyway like the Z-6 or Z-7.

Old 11-06-2003, 09:49 AM
Speaking of making your own clay bar lube.....

Last night I heard that an easy claying method was to "clay as you wash". Basically wash a section and rinse it clean, then cover the section again with your soapy solution, clay it and then rinse again.

There was a lot of emphasis on washing the section first to get the dirt off and then re-sudsing for the clay.

chknbone

Old 11-06-2003, 03:59 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by chknbone

Last night I heard that an easy claying method was to "clay as you wash". Basically wash a section and rinse it clean, then cover the section again with your soapy solution, clay it and then rinse again.

There was a lot of emphasis on washing the section first to get the dirt off and then re-sudsing for the clay.

chknbone
Definately wash first. Otherwise, you'll trash your clay in short order by using it as the wash pad.

Also, clay isn't something that you use once and throw away. I'm still on my first bar and I've been using it for well over 10 months. I, too, cut my clay into two pieces and, sure enough, I dropped one of the pieces within the first two or three uses... aka: it became trash.

Old 11-06-2003, 05:04 PM

chknbone
That's how do it................... although, I don't clay that often.

Old 11-08-2003, 11:44 PM

chknbone
That's how I do it too (based on a previous suggestion by Boss). This process really speeds up your washing / claying time. One suggestion though. Use two buckets of suds. Use the first bucket to wash the dirty panel, rinse, then use the clean suds in the second bucket as lube for your claying. This additional effort will further help to prevent scratching of the paint surface. Sorry, I'm really **** about this stuff.

Also, in regards to clay bars and pricing, PremiumAutoCare.com sells Meguiars Detailer line of clay bars (200grams w/o lube) for $18 each. I just bought a couple of them. If you cut them in half like Rock suggested (and like I do as well) you'll end up with a 100gram clay bar for about $9. And remember, each piece lasts several washings (if you don't drop it). I'd even suggest having a separate clay bar for each car you detail. Remember, I mentioned I was a 'little' **** about this stuff.

-Mike-

Old 11-09-2003, 09:57 AM
You guys do know that when you clay a vehicle that the clearcoat is then unprotected, right? After you clay you should put some wax or polish on the paint right away.

Old 11-09-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by whitesnake2001
You guys do know that when you clay a vehicle that the clearcoat is then unprotected, right? After you clay you should put some wax or polish on the paint right away.
Depends on the product you are claying over. Clay will not remove some products............ others it will! However, your point is well taken, and it is advisable to apply another coat of protection after claying. However, most people use clay as a prep product prior to polishing/glazing/waxing/sealing, so that's not a problem. Still, if they are using it as a touch-up, your point is valid.

Old 11-09-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by BigDeal
That's how I do it too (based on a previous suggestion by Boss). This process really speeds up your washing / claying time. One suggestion though. Use two buckets of suds. Use the first bucket to wash the dirty panel, rinse, then use the clean suds in the second bucket as lube for your claying. This additional effort will further help to prevent scratching of the paint surface. Sorry, I'm really **** about this stuff.

-Mike-
BigDeal,

YES! YES! YES! Thanks for clarifying that! I hope no one interpreted my suggestion to clay while "washing a dirty vehicle"! I always do a complete wash of the entire vehicle (no claying at all), then come back and clay the entire vehcile with a fresh bucket of suds/rinse water! This still ends up being faster than coming back and doing an entire claying job with QD as the lube!

Old 11-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Well since "two buckets" have been mentioned......what exactly is the "2 bucket system"? I use 1 bucket for the wheels/tires/wheel wells and another bucket for the body and windows. Is that it?

chknbone

Old 11-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well since "two buckets" have been mentioned......what exactly is the "2 bucket system"? I use 1 bucket for the wheels/tires/wheel wells and another bucket for the body and windows. Is that it?

chknbone
Two bucket...

One bucket to 'rinse' the wash pad prior to putting it into the soapy water in bucket #2.

So, in turn, you're basically cleaning your 'sponge' (and I use that word very loosely) prior to getting it soapy for the next rub down your paint.

RP

Old 11-12-2003, 01:01 PM

chknbone
Rock's response is correct in general, but not in this context. What Boss and I were talking about as it relates to claying is this.

Step # 1:
Makeup a bucket of suds and wash the nose of your truck thoroughly with it.

Step #2:
Rinse thoroughly.

Step #3:
Take the second bucket of suds and cover about a third of the area you just washed in step 1, and carefully clay the area, then rinse. Repeat this process until you've clayed the entire area you washed in step 1.

Step #4:
Continue all of the above steps until you've washed (and clayed) the whole truck.

Step # 5: (Only if you're as **** about things as I am!)
When you've finished with all of the aforementioned steps and made it all the way around your truck, make up one last fresh bucket of suds and go back over the whole truck one more time with your wash mitt just to make sure everything has been cleaned off the finish, then rinse one last time with a slow continual stream of water to reduce your drying effort. This step is really quick so it doesn't add much time to the overall process.

Once you get the overall process down, you'll find you can really move along quickly.

Good luck.

-Mike-

Quick Reply: Clay Magic kit for under $10