common problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
common problems

Ok, my '99 xlt w/ 5.4 and 4x4 has 106000 miles on it now. I bought it last year around this time with 92000. This truck seems to have every defect and problem I've read about so far. Cracked doors, leaking rear window, squeaks and rattles, puked a plug, wipers wiping when off, seat belts don't retract proper, and I'm pretty sure theres a couple other things I can't think of right now. Anyway, I want to know what else could be wrong with this heap that that is a common problem and I don't know about yet or that I can help prevent from happening in the future?

Also, I need some good skins for my seats. Something sporty looking would be great.

Thanks everybody!

Old 11-06-2003, 05:54 PM
you might have a lemon

Old 11-06-2003, 06:00 PM
Well, it could have the ill-famed "Piston Slap"........... or how bout the "Leaking Head Gasket/Bad Head".

Sorry, you asked?

Old 11-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Well, i don't think i have any piston slap noises going on or a leaking head gasket. Yet anyway.

Reason I asked is I just want to read up on all the problems I can and fix or just keep an eye out for them. This is my family truck, nice pick huh. Anyways, I just wanna try to keep it from quiting with my wife and baby daughter in it when its -20 and 60 mph winds.

How bout 4x4? It's got auto hubs but does have a manual t-case. Any problems with auto hubs on the f-150? Most of my ford experience is from my rangers. I know their auto-hubs suck bigtime.

Oh, how bout the loud power steering pump? Is this common? What should I expect from it later?

Thanks all.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by defective

Reason I asked is I just want to read up on all the problems I can and fix or just keep an eye out for them. This is my family truck, nice pick huh. Anyways, I just wanna try to keep it from quiting with my wife and baby daughter in it when its -20 and 60 mph winds.
And for that reason alone, I sure hope you, or your wife don't have any more problems with the truck........... period!

You sir........... are a good man! My hat's off to ya!

Old 11-12-2003, 07:30 PM
your 4x4 problem child

You nailed it on the head with the well known problems the F-150
had when the newer style came outif youve got the 5.4 keep
an eye on the right side cylinder head gasket in the rear, we changed a lot of those for quite a while when they first came out
the worst part is to change a head gasket the right way we had to pull the cab off the frame to do it, thats fords advise on how to do it correctly, really impressed the customer !!
dont worry about the auto hubs the newer design has been very
reliable compared to the older style. Ive bought an 02 f-150
with the 4.6 and love it

Old 11-13-2003, 01:21 AM
Yep, I agree. He has all of the common problems. With the exception of launching a plug, which is confined mostly to the 5.4Ls, just about every F-150 will have:
  • Door crack
  • Leaking rear slider
  • Weird multi-function switch
  • Rusted door and tailgate flanges
  • Squeaky pitman arm

I've had all of these myself.

Quick Reply: common problems