Dressing Tires for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dressing Tires for Dummies

Greetings all. Any regulars here know that I'm pretty new here and I'm just beginning my truck care routine (hence, I tend to ask a lot of pretty basic questions.)

Thanks to the VERY helpful advice of the members of this forum, I've enjoyed searching for just the right products to match my truck care needs and I'd say I've had a rather successful and impressive first couple of cleanings because of it.

The one area I actually felt was lacking was on my tires. I got a cheap wheel/tire brush from Target and scrubbed off the wheels and tire walls with some Gold Class shampoo (the wheels looked great with all the brake dust cleaned off - I'm going to get some of the Citri-Gel that's been recommended in another post for future use)

I used some Meguiars Endurance on one of those concave foam applicators - applied directly to the pad, and then smeared it around on the tire wall (not the treads). I took a towel and wiped the edges (as suggested) to get rid of any excess that might spatter off onto the paint. I only did one applicaton because it was late, cold, and the wife had dinner ready (and we all know how that goes).

Problem is, after I came in to work today and remembered to look at the tires, they looked pretty amateurish. They were definately a deeper black, but it was obvious that they had been wiped down with something because the walls were so dark and then the treads were so pale. Plus, maybe I needed to work more slowly but where the Endurance gel ended and the bare tire began was pretty jagged & sloppy looking.

So what would you guys suggest? Will a second coat help or make it that much more obvious? Do I need to spread the endurance all the way up into the first couple of treads so it isn't so obvious? I'm sure with a little advice and a little more practice this can be improved.

(Final note - I washed/dressed the wheels/tires after washing and drying the truck. I was thinking next time I'd scrub the wheels/tires first, then wash/dry the truck, then dress the tires - when I washed the tires last, I was getting water oversprayed back onto the dry truck.)

Old 11-10-2003, 06:29 PM
I don’t know if I can offer much help but I will try.

I am one of the rare people who do not like dark shinny tires. I like the natural clean look, as if they were just bought. More of a semi-gloss look if you will.

I have tried many different brands and just did not like the results because it wasn’t what I was looking for. I use a lot of Zaino products and they have one called “Perfect Tire Gloss” it is Z16. However the name is a bit misleading because you can indeed get a “gloss” shinny look if that is what you want by putting 2 – 3 coats on.

However, for the look I am after I get it with just one coat. It is non-oily so you don’t have to worry about it slinging off. With one coat it gives it a nice semi-gloss look but is not real obvious as you have described.

It will last a good 6 – 8 weeks and does not collect dust like some of the oily shinny products do, the type you find in Wal-mart, like Armor-All.

Meguiars may indeed make a brand that will give you the same look you are after, and RockPick, Boss or some of the others may be able to steer you towards the right product.

If not check out the Zaino website for information about their tire product Z16 “Perfect Tire Gloss” Zaino Bros

Old 11-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know your pain with Endurance...

I've used the product for a while now and have had good success but, only after I've really learned by trial and error.

My first application was very similar to your experience.

Here's the trick...

Once you're done applying the gel, let the truck sit for about 15 hours in a warm environment. That seems to help the rubber 'soak up' (for lack of better terms) the gel and really gives a longer lasting luster (there's some L alliteration eh?)

Also, once you've driven a couple of days, running over the tires with a towel will do them wonders as they're naturally going to be picking up brake dust, road dust, and other contamination.

Long story short, it sounds like your dry time wasn't adequate and a cold environment certainly didn't help.

Also, I've heard a couple of folks mention going over the Endurance job with a water based protectant. They seem to think that it locks the gel in place a little better. I can't attest for this but, knowing who it came from, I'd say it probably works.

I've had good luck with the Endurance but, maybe it's not the product for you if you're not getting the results you want... don't give up just yet though... be patient.

RP

Old 11-10-2003, 06:36 PM
Graphic,

I'm a real fanatic when it comes to getting my tires, wheels, and wheel wells clean, as great looking tires, wheels, and wheel wells make a great wax job look even better. I honestly believe I spend as much time cleaning them, as I do the rest of the truck!

Anyhow, first (on your last point)........... I would clean and scrub your tires, wheels, and wheel wells first (but don't dress), and then wash the vehicle, and dry everything. Also, use a separate mitt and bucket of suds for the tires/wheels/wheel wells.

Here's my process for cleaning those areas.

First, get yourself some Orange Blast cleaner from one of the "Mart" stores. It's inexpensive, and works pretty good for the wheel wells and tire treads.

Next, get a product like the Citri-Gel, and spray it on all 4 tires sidewalls (and wheels if you like). Let it set for a few minutes.

Now, come back to the first wheel, and spray the Orange blast on the tire treads, wheel wells, and around the shock towers....... etc. Let the blast sit for a minute or so. Then, take a good scrub brush and wet it a little, and then scrub the wheel wells, and tire treads. Rinse that brush, and then scrub the Citri Gel on the sidewalls. Have a mitt, or wheel brush handy, and use them to clean your wheels.................. now rinse everything thoroughly. When you finish all four tires/wheels, start the vehicle up, and move it back or forward a couple of feet, so you can those spots on the sidewalls, and treads that were on the bottom. Use a little more Blast, and Citri Gel to complete the job.

The secret to great looking tires, is to get them super clean before applying your favorite dressing. Anyhow, take your favorite dressing (or Gel) and apply it evenly to the sidewalls. Don't over apply one coat............ your better off coming back and applying a second light coat. I like to let the Gels sit a while, and come back with a foam applicator, and "smooth" out the finish. If you like, you can get a good WATER BASED protectant and spray it on your treads prior to the gel................. and don't forget to start the vehicle up again, and move it a couple of feet, so you can apply your gel and dressing to the tires/treads that were on the bottom.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Westley's bleach white and a wire tire scrubber, then Eagle One Tire Wet with a curved wheel applicator. Makes them look

Old 11-13-2003, 11:39 AM
I use the Amorall trim protectant on mine now, I used to use the high gloss stuff because I liked how it looked so much better, but it got to be such a pain to clean up, as well as being expensive, a as well as not staying on the tires very well, I switched to this stuff. It's a slight gloss look, and it stays on much longer than any other I've used, plus it's cheaper.

here's a pic, this stuff was applied some time ago, so it's kinda dull in the photo, but it hasn't turned brown yet

Old 11-13-2003, 01:15 PM
I use "Eagle One" spray, and use the foam applicator pads and get a nice even coat on the tire. I never directly spray the tire, just spray the pad and that works great. Dont get any overspray on the wheel's or body.

I also let it dry a good while, for example: This last week after we washed and polished and waxed the trucks, wea didn't move them for about 88hours, or close to 3.5 day's.

With all that, ZERO tire sling!!!!

Quick Reply: Dressing Tires for Dummies