Swirl Prevention when Washing/Waxing

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Swirl Prevention when Washing/Waxing

I've read in a few places that to prevent swirl marks you should wash & wax without using swirling motions. I've got a pretty basic question about that:

Is it recommended to wash/wax the hood & roof going front to back (headlights to windshield) or side to side (left wheel to right wheel)? Same for the side panels - would I want to go front to back (headlight to taillight) or up and down (roof to wheels)

The Zaino website says to apply with a circular motion, then finish with an up & down motion. I question both of these because first - isn't the circular motion what I should avoid? or would it not properly apply the product if I only used a straight motion?
Second, it seems to me that if you do use a straight motion so that the swirl marks are all in one direction, wouldn't you want them to be front to back rather than up and down? My reasoning is that horizontal lines would express length whereas vertical lines would express height. I know this to be true from a graphic design standpoint (hey, pinstripes go from front to back for a reason) but does that translate in the way the light is reflected from the marks in the paint? Personally, I'd prefer to promote the length of the truck rather than the height, as it's an extended cab with a long box.

Old 11-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Zaino has never mentioned anything about circular motion when applying their polish. They actually recommend “front to back” and “up and down” motions. This is to help with how it will reflect the light. The following is from their website:

From Zainobros.com To help with even coverage, spread the nickel sized Zaino Show Car Polish out on the applicator pad like butter on bread before wiping on. On top panels, apply Zaino Show Car Polish using front-to-back hand motions. On side panels, use up-and-down hand motions. This helps improve reflectivity. There’s no need to rub hard or long, just apply thin and even coats. Apply the Show Car Polish to the whole car and allow it to haze. Once hazed, you can buff of the light residue immediately or allow it to sit for a few hours or over night. No matter how long your let it sit, it will still be easy to buff off to a beautiful finish.
I have always used the above method and never had any problems with it. I wash the truck basically the same way, just because that is how I am use to washing it. I have never really used circular motions when washing because to me it didn’t seem to make much sense.

Good luck with what you decide…

Old 11-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Hmm, seems to be 2 different directions from Zaino, as I was pretty sure I saw something about circular motions when I was browsing last night. So I went back and checked and found this on the "Application" page at www.zainostore.com (Note: your quote came from zainobros.com, maybe the bros. need to edit their website?)

Applying ZFX™ Enabled Show Car Polish
Follow these easy steps:

1. Apply Zaino Show Car Polish enabled with ZFX™ with a 100%, made in the USA, cotton applicator._ Use the polish sparingly._ A small amount goes a long way, and you will be applying multiple coats.
2. Squirt a dime size dab of polish on your applicator and rub it into your paint using circular hand motions._ Then, go over the same area using a straight back and forth motion on top panels and an up and down motion on side panels._ Allow the polish to haze over (20 minutes is sufficient).
Anyway, if you say it works without using circular motions - I believe it!

But my other question remains, is it actually better to use an up&down motion on sides? Still seems backwards to me. On the other hand, it might be that it's easier to keep your up and down motions straight - the truck is so long that you'd actually be making a series of about 5 or 6 front to back areas along the side.

Dunno, probably overthinking as usual. I might send an email to zaino later and see what they say.

Old 11-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Well, looks like you are correct. That indeed is odd the have two different methods for application. I would still recommend the “front to back” on top, and the “top to bottom” on the sides. That is how I have always done it and it comes out very nice…

To be honest I don’t know what the difference would be if you went front to back on the sides. I remember reading that they recommended the up and down to get the best possible light reflection.

Let us know if you send them email asking that question and what they have to say about it.

So are you thinking between Meguiars and Zaino?

Old 11-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Graphic,

If the paint surface is good an clean, you can apply the wax anyway you want........ circular, back and forth, up and down, or whatever.

Why not try one side of the vehicle with horizontal apps, and one side with vertical, and see which you like better. However, I doubt you're going to see much of a difference.

BTW, here are a couple of the pros and cons of applying in a circular motion............. you can come to your own conclusions:

Pro - A circular motion is supposed to work the product into the surface better filling all the microscopic pores.

Con - Swirls that might get created by a circular application, are more visible than those that might get created in an up and down application.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2003, 12:09 AM
reply from sal zaino...

For those who were wondering I thought I'd give an update -

I emailed Sal Zaino with my questions and got a reply today. Didn't supply very detailed reasons for his answers, but here's the basics of what he had to say:

"When applying Show Car Polish Z-2 or Z-5 do the following; On all Top surfaces of vehicle, use a back and forth motion (from front bumper towards windshield).
On all Side surfaces (doors, fenders, etc.) use a vertical motion, up and down. This technique will increase the way light attracts and reflects off of Show Car Polish. You can remove it any way you want.... "

So apparently this is the perferred method and offers the best reflectivity (though I don't quite know why this is.

When I mentioned the portion of the website that says to begin with circular motions and end with the straight motions, he replied that it's fine to do so, as you can't produce swirl marks with a non-abrasive product (which Zaino is.)

Again, doesn't exactly explain the inconsistency in directions, but I don't doubt that the Z itself won't create swirls - it's the applicator/wipedown that I question.

Anyway, it's enough to convince me to apply in the suggested method - hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2003, 10:14 AM
As to the reason “back and forth” and “up and down” is recommended:

Not being a chemical expert or knowing much at all about it all I can think of is the way the molecules bond with the paint into the “valleys” or cover over these small “valleys” in the paint that make it a flat surface, makes a difference with how the light reflects off the bonded polish.

I read somewhere before that all painted surfaces have small valleys in them. The more valleys then the less light that gets reflected off the paint. That is because the valleys scatter the light. The more flat the surface (least amount of valleys) the more light it will actual reflect and not scatter.

I would translate that into painting a wall. If you used a brush and painted in circular motion you would notice that much more when light hit it as if you had used an “up and down” motion. That is my best shot at it.

Someone mentioned, not sure if it was RockPick or Boss but they stated an important fact about swirls or the micro scratches that can happen with applicators etc. If you were using a “back and forth” and “up and down” motion you would not notice these micro scratches as well as you would if they were created with circular motions. Again I would believe that has to do with light reflection. You see swirls more in light then in shade.

Old 11-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
Someone mentioned, not sure if it was RockPick or Boss but they stated an important fact about swirls or the micro scratches that can happen with applicators etc. If you were using a “back and forth” and “up and down” motion you would not notice these micro scratches as well as you would if they were created with circular motions. Again I would believe that has to do with light reflection. You see swirls more in light then in shade.

Yes, I believe that is the theory, and I tend to go along with it. All of use have seen the "spider web" swirls generated by circular washing/application/removal processes. They are extremely visible. However, they are probably caused by a flaw somewhere in the process, whether it be the product, application/removal tools, or the user.

That being said, I think Sal's instructions are trying to accomplish the following:

By applying the Z (or any wax/sealant) in a circular motion works the product into all the pores/nooks/crannies in the paint surface. This creates an extremely smooth level paint finish. Then, finishing that section off with up and down, or back and forth application increases the reflectivity.

Of course, the above only works properly if one has a super clean surface, and is using good clean applicators and towels that will not create swirls.................. then again, this would apply no matter what directions the products are being applied/removed.

Quick Reply: Swirl Prevention when Washing/Waxing