Sideswiped my truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 04:06 PM
AWH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sideswiped my truck

Can anyone recommend a good paint remover or product for removing a small amount of paint I got on my '97 F150 when I lightly sideswiped a Cherokee in a crowded parking lot yesterday? The goods new is that no body damage occurred, just a few streaks of the other vehicles paint on the lower passenger side. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2003, 04:25 PM
any rubbing compound will work.

Old 11-13-2003, 04:55 PM
Meguiar's makes a clear coat safe product called Clear Coat Body Scrub. I've used it and it really works well. Good luck! IMO, I would try it before I hit a clear coat with rubbing compound.
Brian Clark

Old 11-13-2003, 07:28 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Body scrub is a pretty good product as I've seen a before and after on a buddy's vehicle at work.

Rubbing compound would be down my list as first choices but, it would probably work. I think you'd have quite a bit of 'clean up' work after using something as abrasive as RC. I'd almost use 3000 grit before RC... that's just me though.

Old 11-13-2003, 07:36 PM
Like RP said, RC would be a last resort!
Griz

Old 11-14-2003, 05:20 AM
I have used the Blue Corral scratch remover and had success with it removing light scratches and paint like your talking about. As far as I know it doesn't have much in the way of abrasives in it (maybe a very very slight amount) but it still works incredibly well for stuff like that.

Old 11-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Moderator &

cgorris has a very good point there...

Maybe something that is more 'chemically agressive' rather than abrasively agressive would be the way to go... I don't have much experience with many of the chemical products but, maybe someone can shed some light.

RP

Old 11-15-2003, 02:03 AM
AWH,

I just had to remove some paint off of the side of my truck from when I lightly grazed a friends car in my driveway. I touched it just enough to swap paint but not really scratch it or dent the metal. I used Meguiar's Medallion Preminum Paint Cleaner and it cleaned everything right off. It will remove any polish and wax you had on as well so expect to re-apply that stuff after using the cleaner.

chknbone

Old 11-15-2003, 02:23 AM
When I had my '98, someone in a red car scuffed my door with their bumper (I guess it was their bumper). I left it alone for a while because I didn't know what to use to get the paint off.
When I took my truck in to get the bed sprayed with line-x, the guy prepping the bed saw the scuff and used the alcohol he was prepping the bed with to remove the paint from the door. I worked great!
All it took was a little wax to get the scuff on the door off.

Old 11-16-2003, 11:55 PM
AWH
Thanks guys. I wasn't able to find the Clear Coat Soft Scrub but I did purchase Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner today and it did the trick just fine.

Old 11-17-2003, 08:47 AM
Moderator &

Glad to hear that it worked out for you! Be sure to wax all the areas that you used the paint cleaner or polish on!

RP

Old 11-21-2003, 01:55 AM
goo gone worked for my car but im not sure if it would damage the clear coat... I am pretty sure it would

Old 11-21-2003, 07:27 AM
Good news Jello--since Goo Gone is citrus based it is harmless to your paint. However, I would wash it off as soon as it had removed whatever it is you're removing. On the other hand, Goof Off WILL damage paint. It is solvent based. I used it to remove the ARE badge glue off of my old camper shell on my 98. I only kept it on for a few minutes and I could tell it was going to work on the finish. A couple of coats of Mequiars did the trick though.

Quick Reply: Sideswiped my truck