Clay Bar Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PAGING: BIGDEAL
hey three questions, how long does it take you to clay bar your truck? and how do you like those NR Gauges? i was thinking about buying some for my truck, how hard were they to install?
thanks

Old 11-29-2003, 12:30 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Claying will vary in time depending on what surfaces that you need to clay.

My typical 'start to finish' time is about 30 mins but, to date, I've only done the hood and roof as I haven't needed to do it anywhere else.

RP

Old 11-29-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Stoner150
PAGING: BIGDEAL
hey three questions, how long does it take you to clay bar your truck? and how do you like those NR Gauges? i was thinking about buying some for my truck, how hard were they to install?
thanks
As for your question regarding the time it takes me to clay my truck, I can't really answer you for sure. I do the "clay-as-you-wash" routine (i.e. wash a panel or two and rinse, clay bar it and rinse, then rewash and rinse, and move on). Once you have the rythmm down, the process moves along pretty quick. IMO it's the only way to fly when you clay a vehicle.

As for the NR gauge overlay, I really love the look, both during the day and at night. I get compliments and questions about the dash all the time. The install of the overlay is not however for the weak of heart. You have to do some major teardown on the dash (see my gallery for pics) to get to the gauge pod, and if you want the install to look perfect (and I did!), you have to insure that the gauge pod is opened and worked on in almost a cleanroom environment so you don't get dust or fingerprints on the overlay, pod face, or inside the pod cover. I like the overlay a lot, and I like how it changes the look of my dash. But would I install another one if I had it to do over again with another truck? I'd have to think long and hard before tackling that job again..........

-Mike-

Old 11-29-2003, 06:09 PM
BIGDEAL:

thanks for the advice i will try the clay bar before i go up to oklahoma for christmas, and for the gauges i my self do not think i will try it, to afraid to scrw up something and it is pollen season here, i don't think i will get them any ways i rather spend $165 ( $89 gauges, $75 instilation) on something else, i think i am going to buy the lightning replica head lights.
i have another quick question, i have a bunch of scratches in my paint, just in the clear coat, like swearl marks and where branches and carless people have brushed up against my truck, what can i use to get these out? and how about oxidation? i noticed you said something about a meguires product? what about Mothers? and in a nother post you talked about some plastic trim conditioner (303) where can i get it?
thanks

Last edited by Stoner150; 11-29-2003 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Stoner150
BIGDEAL:

thanks for the advice i will try the clay bar before i go up to oklahoma for christmas, and for the gauges i my self do not think i will try it, to afraid to scrw up something and it is pollen season here, i don't think i will get them any ways i rather spend $165 ( $89 gauges, $75 instilation) on something else, i think i am going to buy the lightning replica head lights.
i have another quick question, i have a bunch of scratches in my paint, just in the clear coat, like swearl marks and where branches and carless people have brushed up against my truck, what can i use to get these out? and how about oxidation? i noticed you said something about a meguires product? what about Mothers? and in a nother post you talked about some plastic trim conditioner (303) where can i get it?
thanks
If you decide to do the Lightning headlights, you'll love the way they change the look of your truck. And installation will be a breeze!

For the paint blemishes you noted, I'd recommend you try the following which 'should' address your issues.

-1- Wash the truck well and then claybar the areas that need it. This step should remove all the embedded contaminents, overspray, and even light oxidation (which I can't imagine you have much if any of on your truck), and ready your paint for polishing.

-2- For light scratches and swirls, apply multiple coats of Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover until the blemishes are removed. On heavier scratches and swirls you can try Meguiar's Professional Dual Action Cleaner Polish. Just be careful as this product is a medium level abrasive polish.

-3- When you've finished addressing the blemishes, cover whatever polish(s) you've used to this point with a coat or two of Meguiar's #26 Yellow Wax to protect the paint surface on your truck.

I've never used any Mother's products on my truck, so I don't think I can make any product recommendations here. As for the 303 Protectant, it's super stuff. I swear by it. The best place to get it locally is at a boating store like Boater's World or West Marine. I've also heard from others that the large RV equipment stores carry it as well. Get some and use it.

-Mike-

Old 11-29-2003, 10:05 PM
Stoner150,

I've used Mothers, and they make some good stuff! However, if you have swirls or scratches, Meguiar's has a great selection of polishes to choose from. The DACP, and #9 that BigDeal mentioned are two fine ones. Keep in mind, if you need to use the DACP, you might need a good orbital buffer like the Porter Cable 7424.

The only other thing I would add to BigDeals process......... is to apply a coat of Meguiar's #7 ShowCarGlaze or #81 Pro Hand Polish between the #9 and the #26. This step isn't necessary, but the #7 or #81, really add some gloss!

Old 11-30-2003, 02:23 AM
cool thanks, i have the mothers cleaner wax and pure carbana wax right now, and use nu finish 2001, but as for the oxidation i hve some on the top of my mirrors and the bottom of my grill. has either of you used the Meguire's scratch X? i saw it on their web site , or someone's who carries it. oh yeah o also won't let anyone touch my truck, when it comes to paint and washing. thanks again

Old 11-30-2003, 10:36 AM
Moderator &

I've tried SCRATCH-X... it's a pretty good product for removing nominal scratches on a very local scale. In short, you wouldn't want to be smearing this all over your paint in my opinion.

If you have a higher level of oxidation, you may want to consider a paint cleaner instead. Something like Meguiar's Premimum Paint Cleaner (MPPC)(part of the Medallion line). You can order it off of the Meguiar's website and it can be easily applied by hand. Also, I should note, that this isn't a product that you will have to use frequently. Probably only 1-2 times per year at the maximum.

Give it a try, I think you'll love the results!

Good luck with that finish!

RP

Old 11-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

That's right, verybody hurry up and clay bar your paint! Ahhh new paint jobs for everyone in 5 years..oh happy days for me! Ignore page 3 (or 4 depending on the year) of your service manual teeling you "Not to claybar your paint", but it list out 2 different products readily available to take care of the problem!

Hee Heeee....be an armm chair detailing expert.......Oh how I luv this forum!!!!!

I'll make this offer now.......5 years from today, everyon who is a member of F150 will recieve a 10% discount on a complete paint job...just as long as you all bring your trucks & cars in at the same time

Old 11-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by beechkid
That's right, verybody hurry up and clay bar your paint! Ahhh new paint jobs for everyone in 5 years..oh happy days for me! Ignore page 3 (or 4 depending on the year) of your service manual teeling you "Not to claybar your paint", but it list out 2 different products readily available to take care of the problem!

Hee Heeee....be an armm chair detailing expert.......Oh how I luv this forum!!!!!

I'll make this offer now.......5 years from today, everyon who is a member of F150 will recieve a 10% discount on a complete paint job...just as long as you all bring your trucks & cars in at the same time
Ok.

Old 11-30-2003, 01:45 PM

That is indeed odd. I have never heard that in all the reading I have done on the net. I would also add that I have not read that in any of the owner’s manuals that I have. One for 97 F150, one for a 99 Mustang and one for my current 01 F150. Perhaps you could point out a page number of the owner’s manual you are referring to or better yet snap a pic of this page to post here.

Better yet how about pointing out a site somewhere on the net which explains how claying a vehicle is dangerous to the paint or cause’s harm. Perhaps you could explain why the better detailers use clay as part of a complete preparation process prior to waxing or polishing, or why the higher quality body shops use it before and after painting.

Don’t take me wrong, you may be right, but you’re the only person that has come along and stated anything negative about clay. The best way to do it is to have some facts to back up your claim as to why claying is bad. Without facts your simply out numbered by numerous web sites, professional detailers and professional body shops that claim the opposite of you…

Good luck, and please refer to reputable web sites and not something written by some kid because of “hear say”…

Old 11-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Ok, after your comments I went through the owners manual for my '01 F150 XLT SuperCrew. Couldn't find anything that would substantiate your reference. Like 01 XLT mentioned, we're gonna need a little more information to track this one down.

All I can say in regards to your comment is that my brother just (in the last two weeks) bought a brand new '03 Silver / Black Harley SuperCrew. This past week he washed and waxed it (i.e. no claybar was used on it) for the first time. This weekend the family gathered at my house for Thanksgiving dinner and his truck ended up parked next to mine. He was really annoyed that my three, going on four, year old truck had twice the depth, clarity, and shine that the paint on his brand new truck had. Clay is, and will continue to be, a part of my detailing routine (as needed) until someone provides a whole lot more substantive information against it's use. To date, I've seen zero adverse affects in the paint on my truck.

-Mike-

Old 11-30-2003, 09:13 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaa.................. nevermind!

Old 11-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429
Ya know, I think I like your response better than mine! Well said.

-Mike-

Old 11-30-2003, 10:30 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Boss_429
I thought about it... but, as of yet, I can't come up with anything better than that either...

Oh well... some things are better left unsaid I suppose...hehe

RP

Quick Reply: Clay Bar Question?