Meguiars on Oxford White...why bother?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguiars on Oxford White...why bother?

OK, there's some guy called RockPick who lays out a pretty good case for Meguire's paint care products. He seems to know what he's talking about so I: set up a auto detailing shelf in my workshop like he says he has; then I bought all this pro Meguires stuff like he says he has; then I followed his directions on my daughters recently acquired 98 Mustang ( the green color that changes colors depending on the angle of the light source).

FLOORED! Absolutely can't believe the new look!! Daughter says it looks like you can poke your finger in it, and I agree. Thanks for the 'detail' RockPick! But, I'm off topic...

My new 04 Screw is Oxford White, and I treated a small section with the same process. Even under flourescent lights, I cannot see a difference. Feels good, and I know its well protected, but, on this color do you figure I could just keep the M 26 on it and save the effort to acheive the 'deep' look (aka, 'pop'!) you get on non-white paints? That's a lot of wasted TLC if it doesn't show off all the effort, no? But, then again, I didn't do an 'all-over' treatment on it - just a 1 foot section.

Is tit worth it?

[Thanks for the documentary, RP! !!]

Last edited by SlapPaddle; 11-16-2003 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:49 PM
Well that's a silly question.

Do you want to protect your truck better for the long run, or just use some average wax, that'll do the job 'OK' and it will look 'OK' in 5 years?

I say put in the extra effort, it'll pay off in the long run.

Old 11-16-2003, 08:01 PM
To be honest, I think white (and other light colors) look better with one of the good sealants like Zaino, UPP, or Klasse. The clarity and reflectivity of the sealants really helps light colors like white. A carnauba's strong points are it's ability to give deep, wet, rich look................. tough to achieve that on light colors.

Anyhow, on my 99' Oxford white SCab, I found that multiple coats of Zaino's Z2 gave me best results. The thing looked like a big white "mirror" when I traded it in, and I got plenty of compliments. Still, it's not black, or blue or any other dark color, so you can't compare it to them.

Good Luck.

Old 11-16-2003, 08:08 PM
Thanks for your reply, lifegaurdjoe, but...'A silly question?' I didn't think so when I posted it and I still dont. I was asking about the 'process' - wash with Dawn to remove old surface sealants and contaminants, (clay bar not needed), polish with M 7 or 9, then apply M26, which I do not believe is an average wax. Thanks tho, rest assured my new truck will not be treated as 'average'

Old 11-16-2003, 08:33 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Slap... I'm glad that my write-up was able to guide you through the process....

On the white, it's one of the hardest colors to really get depth out of because, well, it's white. The majority of the colors in the color spectrum are in the white range and thus, it's difficult to bring out any true depth...

I'm not sure how to approach it but, I've heard of several people raving about the P21S (I think that's the stuff). In fact, one former Meguiars guru (MisterGadget) recently made the switch after experimentation. I don't blame him either... I've heard the same complaints over and over about white and, if you can find something that does a better job, offers equal protection, and gets the look that you require, my thought is to do it.

Z2, as boss mentioned, is a great product and several folks here rave about it. My personal opinion from what I've seen, both in person and on the web, is that Z2 on white really gets too much of a suran wrap look. That's just my opinion and I may be off base with it but, I just wasn't blown away. But, then again, it's darn near impossible to get blown away with white from a depth perspective.

Anyways... in short, I'm useless on the white paint. Z2 might be the way... Klasse might be the way... P21S might be the way... I just don't know.

I'm going to leave this one to the guys that have white trucks and make them look excellent....

RP

Old 11-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Whatever this guy uses seems to work.

Your kinda right though, it doesn't reflect colors like sonic blue or black does, but with the wax and polish it shines nice and water runs off that sucker like its gone crazzy! and its the cleanest looking color when its all fixed up nice.

Last edited by PhillipSVT; 11-16-2003 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:26 PM
I have read in other post here and another site that Z2 may give you what you’re looking for on white. As Boss has mentioned it is one of the better products to use on white. However what RockPick mentioned about suran wrap look could be true as well.

It’s all about peoples prospective on what something looks like. What looks excellent to one person may not look the same way to another. You know what the Meguiars looks like so if you tried Zaino, or the other brands mentioned you could see for yourself what looks best to you. That’s all that counts is what is best for you.

Meguiars will protect your paint as well as Zaino. Zaino will last longer. However if you apply Zaino on the paint you will have to wait for it to wear off since it is a synthetic, unlike Meguiars or other “waxes” you can not strip off Zaino by using Dawn dishwashing soap.

Good luck with your decision, regardless what you use Meguiars, Zaino or the other excellent quality brands you will be protecting your paint finish…

Old 11-16-2003, 10:09 PM
LMAO...

Oxford White brings RP, XLT, and all other brilliant minds to agree that... Try Meguires, check out Zaino, UPP, Klass, and Mazola oil; and 'whatever this guy uses', and 'you'll have to wait for it to wear off', and, 'if you like it - use it'!...

...and I thought ... - someone would say 'Do this...and you will forever be pleased with the finish on your new Oxford White F-150!' [well..., lifeguardjoe, you're right- what a silly question!! ]

OK - I am now adding a 2nd and 3rd shelf to my 'auto detail' products rack in my workshop... and I'll have to call in sick from work tomorrow while I search this forum 'ad nausium' for more opinions!

Thanks to all!

Old 11-16-2003, 10:32 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LMAO @ Paddle...

Sorry man, I'm vauge sometimes when it comes to something that I'm not exactly sure about. I'll always be one of the first to sit back and soak it all in rather than tell you 'this is how it is'. But, on the flip side of that coin, it's rare that I don't have an opinion. (betcha couldn't have guessed that one eh?)

Sorry man... I hope your employer understands that truck care is, by far and away, more important than your daily white/blue collar duties!

RP

Old 11-16-2003, 11:21 PM
Damn!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot to mention what I use, MEGUIARS.

sorry about that.

Old 11-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
I have read in other post here and another site that Z2 may give you what you’re looking for on white. As Boss has mentioned it is one of the better products to use on white. However what RockPick mentioned about suran wrap look could be true as well.
Yep, if one doesn't like that type of look, but still wants great clarity, reflection, with a touch of a carnauba look, and reasonable durability................ then Platinums UPP is a fine choice. P21S/S100 over Platinums UPP is also a fine combo!

Old 11-17-2003, 07:02 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One more person that realizes white is a dull color. If I were ever picking a light color, it would be metallic so it would at least sparkle.

Old 11-17-2003, 07:21 AM
SlapPaddle:

Let me suggest this thought. There are others on here with white vehicles and some if not many must be happy with a particular product they are using so my suggestion would be to start another thread titled: ”What polish/wax do you use on you’re WHITE vehicle”

I know there was another gentleman that had a white truck and Zaino was recommended and he loved it. I wrote up a rather long post on the detail procedure including clay and if you are interested I could post that again but it was for Zaino.

I think by beginning a new thread about what product on white you may at least get some to come along and tell you what they think about particular products. White is a hard color to bring to life but I believe Zaino would give it that Zing your looking for…

Old 11-17-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by SlapPaddle
[well..., lifeguardjoe, you're right- what a silly question!! ]

haha.

I think I'm going to clay bar my baby this weekend or something.

Old 11-17-2003, 06:28 PM
OK.

I know white is a, uh, boring color, but I think that white over black is an awesome combination. Besides, its a little known fact that the gov't and scientific community orchestrated a conspiricy that solar flares come from the sun, when , in fact they come from Texas! White deflects the heat, so I got a black leather interior so I could suffer with all those non-dull color owners out there!

And, 01 XLT Sport, WHY IN THE WORLD would I start another thread for Oxford White owners when I am already suffering from brain overload from the (astute) comments received here?? But, when the fog clears, and the Zaino has worn off, (BTW, how do you know when it has worn off?? ) I may do just that.

BTW, RP, I just fired myself today for making my new truck a priority over my Self-Employed responsibilities. [But, I'm gonna hire myself back in the morning ]

And I have decided I want mine to look just like PhilliSVT, so Maguires it is. (Thanks for the pics!)

I figure I am gonna clay bar my baby this weekend, too, because...well - everone else is!!

Thanks for sharing the wisdom, y'all!

Last edited by SlapPaddle; 11-17-2003 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Meguiars on Oxford White...why bother?