just learning, fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just learning, fuel filter

i went and got my oil changed and they said i needed my fuelfilter changed too, an i was wondering if i could do it my self, because it is about $10 cheaper, i have a 1997 f150 4.6. it looks like i could do it my self but just wondering what i need. thanks

Old 11-21-2003, 10:11 PM
You can do it yourself. You will need a special tool for removing the fuel filter. It is cheap and you can buy it in an auto parts store. You want to relive the pressure in the fuel system before you do it.

Easiest way is to use the fuel cut off switch on the passenger side kick panel. Then start the truck till it dies, it may not even start.

You will want to put some rags down because a little fuel will spill out. It is good to change them about every 15,000 miles or so.

Old 11-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
15K? That frequently?

Old 11-22-2003, 08:32 AM
The "Severe Duty" schedule on my truck calls for replacing the fuel filter ever 15K. As a reference, that same schedule calls for changing oil & filter every 3K.

The "Normal" schedule call for changing the fuel filter every 30K, and the oil & filter every 5K.

Old 11-22-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
15K? That frequently?
Fuel filter I try to about every 15k – 20k and I change the rear-end fluid and manual transmission fluid around 30k – 35k and then my oil every 3k along with a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank.

I use Valvoline Durablend 5W-30 for oil, and use Royal Purple synthetic ATF fluid for the manual transmission and Royal Purple 75W-140 for the rear-end with 4oz of Ford friction modifier since it is a 3.55 L/S.

Last spring I had the radiator flushed, and the power steering fluid flushed with BG conditioner. Getting ready to have the brake fluid flush done.

I will tell you what, I never had a problem with my power steering, always felt great but after the flush and BG conditioner it was a very noticeable difference in the power steering…

You have to take care of the external, nice wash & wax/polish on a regular basis and then you need to take care of the internals, may be a bit much but I look at it as very cheap insurance…

Old 11-22-2003, 09:41 AM
hey 01 XLT Sport

you know what SUCKS!!

I had my Trans flushed too...(and radiator)

but for the Trans i bought a new filter...then i crawled underneath one day...it says REUSABLE!!! DAMN!

i forget how much it was but the filter was like $80 or something...now that sucks!

by the way...are the FRAM$7 fuel filters ok? is there any reason to get a $100 fuel filter????? about to change mine too/65K miles......ouch!

dave

Quick Reply: just learning, fuel filter