obital buffer

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RockPick
I'd try it on hers but, I don't want to face her wrath if a screw it up. LOL!
STOP IT! You won't screw it up!

Old 12-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Boss_429
STOP IT! You won't screw it up!
LOL! Famous last words...

I just can't decide if I really need it. I've been so successful in simply doing it by hand... (LOL, that could be misinterpreted huh?)

RP

Old 12-07-2003, 09:58 PM
One way is to get the Craftsman orbital polisher for $50 or so. That thing doesn't have enough power to hurt anything.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Old 01-13-2004, 11:14 AM
RP,

I was just as paranoid as you about getting the PC and about whether or not it was really as "simple" and "safe" as everyone advertised. I knew absolutely NOTHING about PCs or buffers (I actually thought that they were ONLY for taking wax off! )

Well I read up on the 7424, watched Meguiar's online video of "How To" for it and bit the bullet and ordered one for around $127. I got the pads and velcro backing plate from properautocare.com. I originally got the 6" pads to go with the 6" velcro backing plate but since then I've gotten the 7.5" pads and I like them much better. You don't have to worry about catching the edge of the backing plate with the lager pads. The concave design of these pads also seem to be easier to work with (just my opinion). http://www.properautocare.com/adfoampadfor.html

Every description that Boss has given about the PC and what to expect is 110% accurate. Unless you decide to drop your pad in the dirt before using it, there is no way you are going to mess up your paint. Exactly like Boss said, "it does not build up enough heat". As a matter of fact, that's my only complaint! I've got some minor scratches that I want to physically get rid of and the PC just hasn't been able to do it yet. I can cover them up beautifully with #9, #7 and then #26 but I can't create enough heat and cutting action to actually remove them. And trust me, I've tried. I've turned up the speed, increased the pressure applied but no matter how hard I try, the thing just won't act like a buffer. I've ordered some DACP for the spring and am going to give that a shot with #82 and maybe try the new NXT on top of it all.

The very best thing about the PC7424 is ease of use. You can polish so much quicker and evenly, you can spread the wax so much thinner and evenly that it makes it easier to get off, plus you use much less product than when you do it by hand. I can't say enough about how easy and safe it really is, but I'll leave you with how I've used it base on things I've learned from this forum and some others....(my truck is wedgewood blue)

I've got 1 yellow pad (cutting) that I've used with Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner and #9. These are the ones I've tried to remove the scratches with a speed setting of 4.5 and a lot of pressure and it just won't build up the heat to cut into the paint. I've also used this setup on my mom's black Infinity with no problems.

I've got 2 white pads (polishing) that I've used with #7 and #82. I was told to mist the pad with a quick detailer before putting the polish on there to help with applying it and make it go even farther (works very well).

I've got 1 gray pad (finishing) that I've use with #26 (don't mist the pad before the wax. I got carried away one day and I don't know what I was thinking, but applying a quick detailer and wax was pretty dumb on my part. It was like the wax never cured and was a PITA to get off )

I'm sure that you won't be disappointed if you do decide to get one, and after you use it just once you'll think, "Why in the heck did I wait so long to try this?"

chknbone

Old 01-14-2004, 02:14 AM
RP,
For all our sakes, PLEASE just buy the dam PC. Don't let this turn into another lawnmower thread . I bet the wife doesn't let you do much grocery shopping, you'd be gone for weeks

Old 01-14-2004, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by 00BlackBeast
RP,
For all our sakes, PLEASE just buy the dam PC. Don't let this turn into another lawnmower thread . I bet the wife doesn't let you do much grocery shopping, you'd be gone for weeks
00BlackBeast,

Not to worry, as I believe RP has purchased the PC & pads.

chknbone,

Glad you like your PC........... it is a very good detailing tool!

Old 01-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by 00BlackBeast
RP,
Nah...not a full week but, I have been known to vanish for up to 4 days. It's not common though.

As Boss mentioned, I did buy the PC and pads. I plan on giving the 'wifey mobile' a test run this weekend. She's swirled somewhat so, my plan of action is to hit it with #9 and then go back over it with my new NXT (which should be here today or tomorrow).

Never fear... the PC is here.

RP

Old 01-15-2004, 07:01 PM
As Boss mentioned, I did buy the PC and pads. I plan on giving the 'wifey mobile' a test run this weekend. She's swirled somewhat so, my plan of action is to hit it with #9 and then go back over it with my new NXT (which should be here today or tomorrow).

RP
Hey Rock, just to give you an idea about how helpful the PC can be, take a look at the following pic.

These are both Meg's 6" yellow polishing pads. The one on the right is almost new, and the one on the left was used just one time on my wife's SUV after a good hand wash and clay job. I used Platinum UPC (Ultimate Paint Cleaner) with it to further prep the finish, since it had been a long time since her car had been waxed really well. I also wanted to try out the Platinum products I'd bought some time back. I know you could probably achieve the same result by hand, but can you imagine how much polishing / elbow grease you'd have to put in to remove this much crud from the paint. The resulting shine I got on her car was really amazing.

I was very reluctant to go the buffer route as well, but I can tell you now from experience, I'd never go back to the old way of polishing / waxing. Have fun with your new toy and by all means, let us know how the NXT works. I'm really interested in hearing what you think of it.

Take care.

-Mike-

Old 01-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Moderator &

Never fear... the PC is here.

RP
Well... I think my plan might change. The damn weather report says rain on Sat with a balmy high of 32 and sunny on Sunday with another balmy high of 29. Damn meteorologists!! They were saying 44 degrees Sunday back on Tues!!!

Bah!

Also, I think I'm going to go with DACP instead of the #9... My NXT didn't come in today though (as I had been told and, obviously, expected).

RP

Old 01-22-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429

Not to worry, as I believe RP has purchased the PC & pads.
It's about damn time!

Pick, now that you're part of the electronic generation you'll have to look into a rotary for all your friends that don't take as good care of their cars as you do yours.

Last edited by GearHead_1; 01-22-2004 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: obital buffer