Favorite Detailing Products of 2003

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 03:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DonnyD,

Yes, all good suggestions, but have you tried Zaino?

Old 12-26-2003, 11:56 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 2stroked
DonnyD,

Yeah, he did.... after I composed a novel for him on Meguiar's. Figures.

Old 12-27-2003, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 2stroked
DonnyD,

As RP pointed out.... YES.... I currently use Zaino...... specifically, Z2 with ZFX, and I use Zaino Clear View (forget the #)......and the clar bar, and the Z6 and Z7......... All great products.

Prior to changing to Zaino about 2 years ago, I was a Mequiars man but changed for more longevity.......

Old 12-27-2003, 12:14 AM
Moderator &

LOL... I'm just messing with you man. I understand.

But, watch out Zainoids.... Meguiar's is rolling out a synthetic in the very near future. It's getting RAVE reviews from the guys that have had the privaledge of trying it....

It's called NXT... and preliminary reports indicate that it'll be less than $20/bottle!!!

Needless to say, I'm OVERLY ANXIOUS to try it out!

RP

Old 12-27-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by DonnyD
As RP pointed out.... YES.... I currently use Zaino...... specifically, Z2 with ZFX, and I use Zaino Clear View (forget the #)......and the clar bar, and the Z6 and Z7......... All great products.

Prior to changing to Zaino about 2 years ago, I was a Mequiars man but changed for more longevity.......
As you can see, he too has now reached the apex of quality...

Old 12-27-2003, 08:16 AM
LOL Yall are a hoot..........

I too am awaiting the new NXT from Mequiars.......I wonder if it would bond over Zaino??????

As you can see, he too has now reached the apex of quality...
I love it when yall talk like that...........

Old 12-27-2003, 10:08 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by DonnyD
I love it when yall talk like that...........
It's not him talking.. it's the fumes...

Anyway...

Any other TOP PRODUCTS for 2003? Great thread Boss!

RP

Old 12-27-2003, 02:58 PM
I'll be very interested in RockPick and others assessment of the new Meguiars synthetic polish…

Old 12-27-2003, 04:36 PM
p21 car wax,got some for christmas and tried it today. pretty good,easy on and off, good shine. also,meguires hot shine for tires.

Old 12-27-2003, 10:44 PM
Tried radiant wax / polish. Love the stuff. 5 miles deep! Sure goes on nice after a few passes w/ #9.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:17 PM
Distilled Water,
I actually discovered this a couple of years ago. It was the middle of Summer and we were under a water ban. It dawned on me one day that I was pouring 2 to 6 gallons of dehumidifier water down the drain daily. Plus there was the AC water. I rigged up the AC water, "condensate pump," to pump that water to a barrel in the garage. I rigged up a filter with aquarium charcoal, and add bleach every now and then. I use the power washer to wash our vehicles, there are NO water spots! The barrel was punctured last Winter and I was lazy this Summer, but I will have it set up next Summer.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:30 PM
Rockpick, I agree with you about Plexus. We use it on plexiglass aircraft canopies at work it takes off bugs that got stuck to the canopy at 300 knots. It's not abbrasive either. It will definetly work on headlights, foglights, etc.

Old 12-29-2003, 12:14 AM
Moderator &

Re: Favorite Detailing Products of 2003

Originally posted by Boss_429
First on my list is Poorboy's Spray & Wipe

Second on my list is Meguiars Final Detail QD

Next on my list is DF Concours Buffing towel

Sonax Gloss Shampoo

Rest of the Meguiar's Detailer Series products
Above, you'll see Boss's short list of his favorite products of 2003. With that in mind, Boss... I have some questions.

PB's spray and wipe. What brings this product to the meca of QD? You seem to indicate that it's a 'thicker' product of sorts that makes a dirtier/dustier car more QD'able. Intel, do you have any insight?

Meguiar's FD... that made my list too. Damn good stuff. Why the PB's over this product? Differences?

DF Towel... I started a thread just a second ago asking about this exact product. I'm a doof. (no comments from the peanut gallery please). Why this towel? I love the blue MF from PAC. Can they really be beat? I'm not crazy about a white towel as I do have a tendency to get into dirty spots off and on that I missed while cleaning. Can I attack these with bleach to bring them back to white?

Sonax Shampoo. Give me the skinny on this one. Why this over the others?

The rest of the Detailer's Line. I currently have APC+ and FD. I plan on ordering a gallon of Citri-Gel. Have you tried any of the others? What else from this line is a 'must have'?

I'm putting together an order from Dwayne at premiumautocare.com. Help me spend my $$! (sidenote: sorry zainoids, he doesn't sell it).

RP

Old 12-29-2003, 08:40 AM
RP,

The Spray & Wipe is much more of a cleaning/high lubricating QD than the FD, while the FD is pretty much a gloss enhancing QD with limited cleaning abilities. Therefore, anytime there is "any" trace of dirt or dust on the vehcile, I use Spray & Wipe first. Some people even use the Spray & Wipe for complete washes using several MF towels. While I haven't gone quite that far, it gives you an indication of how safe it is to use. Having said that, I always do a quick Spray & Wipe to remove the dirt/contaminates, and then follow that with the FD. Several people I know mix 75% FD with 25% Spray & Wipe in a spray bottle for the best of both worlds. I like to play it safe, and use the S & W full strength first. In the end, the S & W really cuts down on the number of times I wash my vehicle, while at the same time keeping QD swirls/Wash swirls to a minimum.

Another great feature of the Spray & Wipe, is that it can be used on a warm/hot paint surface without streaking............ and actually works better that way. A lot of times, when I get home from work, while the vehicle is still warm, I will QD with the Spray & Wipe and one of the PAC MF's. Then, when the vehicle has coooled down, I will QD with FD and one of the DF towels......... stand back and admire! Of course, if time doesn't permit, I can just keep the surface clean with the S & W, until time allows me to also QD with the FD.

Keep in mind that the Spray & Wipe is probably the best window cleaners I've used, but a little pricey for that use. However, if you're feeling lazy, and have the S & W in your hands......... use it for that!

The DF Towel is a specialty towel for final buffing (no dirt involved). You won't want to use it for removing polishes/cleaners. The blue MF's from PAC are better for that, as they have more bite to remove those type products! You also won't want to use it for drying, as the WW towels are superior. However, for removing waxes and sealants, and for final QD'ing (not Spray & Wipe), the DF Towels are incredible! Once you try one for removing your #26, and for QD'ing with FD, you'll see what I mean. These towels are so silky soft, and slick, and glide over the paint surface so effortlessly, that you'll have to do a "double-take" to make sure it's really removing the product.............. but it is! Then, a little extra buff of the FD while removing adds even MORE gloss from the FD. Trust me on this one............... these towels are the finest "final buff" towels.............. period! I used a couple yesterday to remove a sealant product and QD with a sealant QD............. same results!

The Sonax gloss shampoo is quite simply the "slipperiest" car wash I've ever used. I don't know what they use for lubrication, but it is super slick, with great suds. It also dries nearly (I said nearly) "spot free", and is one of the few car washes I've used that actually "adds" gloss rather than the tendency to "dull" the finish somewhat after washing. Now, this doesn't seem like much, however, when you add in the fact that the Spray & Wipe helps reduce swirls, and a high lubricating wash also helps prevent swirls................ it means a LOT LESS SWIRLS! Every little bit helps! This stuff isn't cheap, but worth it for me!

Keep in mind that Dwayne doesn't normally handle the Sonax, but you can call him, and he will get it for you.

As for the Detailer Series, one other product I've tried that you didn't mention, was the Window Cleaner Concentrate. Great stuff, and an incredible buy! I also like their Detailer Series clay bar far better than their consumer clay bar. Also, don't forget to get a "high volume" sprayer for the Citri-Gel.............. that stuff is thick, and won't work very well in a regular sprayer. Use the Citri-Gel on your tires and wheels, and the APC+ on wheel wells, engine compartment, and general cleaning.

One last important note RP............... as of Dec 25th, Dwayne had to do away with the free shipping on orders over $75 because of increased shipping rates. There is now a shipping chart based upon how much you order. However, to help DC members out, he increased the DC member discount to 10%. Therefore, when you check out, make sure you type in (detailcity) in the discount code field............... this should help cover much of the shipping charge. If you call him to place the order, just remind him that you are a DC member, and he will apply the discount.

Hope this helps, and happy detailing!

Old 12-29-2003, 10:25 AM
Moderator &

Thanks Boss. I sincerely appreciate it!

Dwayne emailed me back that he wasn't sure he could match the coastaltools price but, I think I'll probably buy from him anyway because of the savings in shipping and convienience of a one stop shop.

I might hold off on the Sonax for now but, I'll give it a whirl once I've mooched through my last gallon of GC Shampoo. I'm definately going to give the PB's S&W a twirl. I'll tack up an easy $200 on this order. LMAO!

-RP

Quick Reply: Favorite Detailing Products of 2003