Favorite Detailing Products of 2003

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite Detailing Products of 2003

With 2003 coming to an end, I thought I'd share my thoughts on the best products I've tried this year. Would love to hear what products others have found to make their list for 2003.

First on my list is Poorboy's Spray & Wipe

A great "Heavy Duty" Cleaner/QD that allows me to QD when I otherwise wouldn't have been able to in the past. It reduces the number of times I need to wash, and allows me to keep my vehicles looking better........... longer. Works great on windows chrome, and just about everything else.

Second on my list is Meguiars Final Detail QD

A superb QD with a ridiculously low price when compared to other QD's that don't even come close to the "POP" that FD delivers. It should only be used with carnauba type finishes because of the silicone content............ but that's OK by me.

Third on my list is Poorboy's new pure carnauba called Natty's Wax.

A beautiful carnauba, with great clarity, reflection and shine. It has replaced several other very fine carnauba's as my favorite. Goes on and off easy, and buffs to an incredible shine........ especially when QD'ed with Final Detail.

Next on my list is DF Concours Buffing towel

This towel is quite simply the finest towel for removing waxes and QD'ing that I've ever used............PERIOD....... and I've used a bunch. So soft, safe, and silky. It just glides over the paint surface, and removes waxes like they are not even there. It is limited in it's uses, and is pricey............ but worth it for me.

Sonax Gloss Shampoo

My favorite car wash hands down. The slipperiet, safest, glossiest shampoo I've tried to date.......... with a minium of water spotting! Certainly not the cheapest car wash around......... but this is not the place to skimp on performance.

Poorboy's entire line of polishes

Like all of Poorboy's products, these are so easy to use, but still very effective. These products contain no fillers........... so what you see is what you get. When the you don't see the swirls......... they are GONE......... not hidden for a couple of weeks. Because there are no waxes, oils, or silicones, these products can be used quite well as prep for sealant, or carnauba finishes.

Rest of the Meguiar's Detailer Series products

As with the Meguiar's FD QD, I've been impressed with the Citri-Gel cleaner, and more recently the APC+, and the Concentrated Glass cleaner. All great products at "UNREAL" prices. This product line is definitely the best bargin line of products for the enthusiast!

The entire Platinum Series of product

A very nice line of products, including their Car Wash, UPP sealant, Gloss Enhancer, Tire Gel, Wheel Gel, and leather care products. I've yet to try one of their products that I didn't like.

Anyhow, that's enough for right now............ next year will be a different list!

Let's hear your favorites?

Last edited by Boss_429; 12-27-2003 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:30 PM
The Porter Cable 7336SP (Lowe's) with a 5" urethane backing plate and 6" variable contour pads (purchased from Classic Motoring Accessories, properautocare) was the single best purchase I have made in working in polishes. You can't get the same result by hand (polish). I still recommend removing wax and polish residue by hand and waxing by hand.

Old 12-21-2003, 06:42 PM
anything by meguiars is at the top of my list..........r.p is coming in 5....4......3.....2......1.......

Old 12-21-2003, 10:51 PM
way 2 ez wheel polish. it 's the best thing since sliced bread. i've tried them all and it's the best by far

Old 12-21-2003, 11:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
#1 Meguiar's Final Detail sits atop my list.

This is a very affordable bulk volume QD that surpasses anything else that I've tried on the market. After a good washing, this stuff adds that subtle extra 'POP' to set your vehicle apart from the rest. The best part, it's cheaper than the majority of the QDs on the market and is only available by the gallon.

#2 Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel

This stuff goes on very smooth with a perky grape smell. The longevity is unsurpassed with any product that I've used to date. It's available at just about any wal-mart or AutoZone and is pretty cheap and a little goes a LONG way.... especially when applied with an Eagle One Tire Swab.

#3 Microfiber Towels

Yeah, I know; this is a VERY simple one but, this was the first year that I had really given them an honest shake. I was skeptical as hell honestly. I couldn't forsee something outperforming my 100% high-pile cotton terry towels... I was wrong. Dead wrong. I came to the realization after purchasing some cheapy Wal-Mart towels and then purchasing some high quality blue MF towels from www.premiumautocare.com that there is a HUGE difference in quality and that you really get what you pay for. I wouldn't sell my blue MF towels to you right now for what I paid for them. That's how much I believe in them!!! Try them, you won't be sorry. Take it from a skeptic.

#4 Plexus Plastic Cleaner/Polish

Here's a product that I briefly chirped about in another couple of threads but have still yet to see the true power and what it can actually do. I have, however, used it on all of my exterior plastic and, with all the crappy weather that we've had lately... and all the salt application that has taken place, I made one very interesting observation today when I took my vehicle to the car wash (only to utilize the hot water)... my headlights were totally clear with only a VERY thin film of salt. Mind you, I haven't cleaned them in well over a week and a half. Obviously, there's something to be said for a product that does this. I'll post more success or failure stories with this product as they become available.

There's a few... I didn't try too many new products this year as a bunch of things have happend in my life including a new house, new dog, and more responsibilities at work. Plus, I'm ultra-happy with my current aresonal and haven't found a solid reason to change course.

Take care folks. Have a wonderful new year and keep those vehicle looking great with whatever quality products that you choose!

RP

Old 12-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Moderator &

No one else?

Old 12-23-2003, 01:03 AM
What about something for the chrome???

Trending Topics

Old 12-23-2003, 05:59 AM
Well, for chrome, one of Poorboys polishes (Pro Polish) has become my favorite. It cleans and shine any metal............... chrome, aluminum, stainless.............. and does so easily. The Pro Polish is the most versatile polish I've ever used. It works great on paint, chrome and metal, glass and even plastic lenses.

My second choice in chrome polishes would be a product called Heavy Metal Polish, which can be found here:

http://www.heavymetalpolish.com

This is also great stuff, but should only be used on metals.

Old 12-23-2003, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Poorboy's Spray and Wipe

I love this stuff. I'll probably be ordering a bunch of it when I start detailing again. It's great at cleaning up a vehicle without any water and I use it a lot during polishing/compounding to help buff the residue off.

Poorboy's Pro Polish

This stuff works awesome w/ my DeWalt Orbital. Will take out fine swirls and will remove the haze from compounds. It also works in the full sun. I did an entire F-150 in the full sun w/ this stuff mid summer. It was extremely hot that day... Thought I was gonna die... lol...

Stoner's Trim Shine

This is some great stuff. I use it for tire dressing all the time. It doesn't give that high shine greasy look that I don't like. It doesn't fling off and it lasts a long time. Can get it locally too in aerosol cans or get a 5 gallon bucket of it for a great price right from Stoner. One of my favorite dressings.

P21S or S100

I love these waxes. They can be applied super fast but you need to use a microfiber towel to buff them off. The wet look it creates is just awesome. Better try them if you haven't already!

Old 12-24-2003, 07:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got to vote for a couple of more products - in addition to the many fine ones already mentioned.

Stoners Invisible Glass: The best darn glass cleaner on the market. Doesn't seem to leave any streaks at all - even after just one application. Makes Windex seem like white spray paint.

Stoner's More Shine - Less Time: A great tire dressing that comes in an aerosol can so overspray is minimized over the "pump bottle" stuff. One coat leaves a dull shine. Two coats leaves a wet look for those that like it. Doesn't seem to sling much either.

Elbow Grease: Yes, the old favorite. No matter what product I use, this "special additive" seems to make all the difference in the world.

Ford Trucks: It's been said before that all of the detailing products in the world can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. That must mean that our trucks (Fords) are a critical element in our detailing strategy.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-24-2003, 08:03 AM
Moderator &

Ahhh, I forgot to include Stoner's IG in my list as well.

I like the Elbow Grease too... always makes the end result better!

RP

Old 12-24-2003, 10:52 PM
Zaino, baby ZAINO...

Old 12-25-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
Zaino, baby ZAINO...
Come on............ you must have tried "something" new this year?

You don't know what your missing (or not missing) if you don't try different stuff!

Old 12-25-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429
Come on............ you must have tried "something" new this year?

You don't know what your missing (or not missing) if you don't try different stuff!
You have to be an expert to try some of the other things. I only play an expert on TV. Heck, I have reached the apex with Zaino so why turn back now....

Old 12-26-2003, 07:23 AM
There's ALWAYS a "find of the season... and mine would definitely be the microfiber towels.........

Other favs:

Mequiars Endurance tire gel.

Stoners IG

Zaino

Zaino

Zaino

Quick Reply: Favorite Detailing Products of 2003