Heavy Oxidation

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy Oxidation

I got myself a "beater" for the winter. I still want it looking good. What do you guys reccomend for heavily oxidized paint?

Last edited by rrroscoe; 12-22-2003 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Boss will be along here shortly. I'll be totally honest... I've never really dealt with heavily oxidized paint but, I'm pretty sure he has...

I know a rough plan on what to do but, I'll save my breath..

RP

Old 12-22-2003, 10:42 PM
I'll be waiting for him!

Old 12-22-2003, 11:12 PM
Depending on how bad, Meguiars Scratch X is also an Oxidation remover That might beat buffing if you don't already have a buffer etc.. might be worth a try, but good luck!

Old 12-22-2003, 11:17 PM
I've got the scratch-X, it helped a little. When I did a patch, and compared it to an undone area, I could see the difference, but when the whole thing was done, it looked like I never did anything.
I've got a buffer, and even tried polishing compound-no good!

Old 12-22-2003, 11:20 PM
hmm, ok, then I'd just wait for the Boss to pop over I guess it was heavier than I was thinking.

Old 12-23-2003, 12:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by rrroscoe
I've got the scratch-X, it helped a little. When I did a patch, and compared it to an undone area, I could see the difference, but when the whole thing was done, it looked like I never did anything.
I've got a buffer, and even tried polishing compound-no good!
What type of pad did you use on the buffer ?

I know my Cyclo has the normal pad for polish, glaze and wax, and then there is a green de-ox pad, which is much more agressive.

I guess it depends also on what type of buffer you have. If it is a PC, DeWalt or Cyclo, you should be good to go with a compunding pad, or de-ox pad and polishing compound. If it is the normal 9 to 11" buffer from the auto parts store, it might not have enough umph to get the job done.

Just some thoughts on the topic....

Old 12-23-2003, 08:37 AM
I have two kinds of buffers, a random orbital, and the cordless one from Mequires. I have not tried a de-ox pad. And come to speak of it have never seen one. I assume they are available at the Auto Parts store? I'l have to give it a try.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2003, 06:40 PM
Boss, any thoughts?

Old 12-23-2003, 07:20 PM
rrroscoe,

Good thing you brought this one to the top, I missed it.

First, without seeing the oxidation, it's tough to recommend products. However, being that oxidation is generally dried out, dull paint, I would do as follows:

Get yourself a good paint cleaner like Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner, Poorboy's Pro Polish, Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, or something similar. Then get yourself several applicators, and plenty of good towels. Next, apply the paint cleaner by hand, changing the applicators and towels frequently. On badly oxidized finishes, you sometimes need to do more than one applicaton of the paint cleaner.

A lot of people might recommend going right to a product like DACP (Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner Polish) using a buffer (rotary or orbital) and a pretty aggressive pad. However, I don't like clogging my pads up with "crap" like oxidation when using polishes. I like my polishes to do just that........... polish! Let the pure paint cleaners do most of the "cleaning"!

Anyhow, once you've done the paint cleaner by hand, you'll need to judge the paint surface. If it's still pretty dull, that may be the time to get out the DACP, and a polishing pad for your orbital.

If the paint looks pretty good after the cleaning, or after DACP, you could go right to a product like Meguiar's #9 or Poorboy's SSR1................. then maybe #7......... then your wax. All depends on how far, and how much you want to put into the "beater"?

Another quick way out after the paint cleaner would be to apply a cleaner wax like Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, Mothers cleaner wax, Klasse AIO............ or one of several other good Cleaner/Waxes using your buffer and a polishing, or finishing pad. These "All-in-One" products can sometime add just that little bit extra cleaning you need, and still add a nice shine.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Old 12-23-2003, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been outta detailing for about 7 months so I might be a little rusty but...

Paint Cleaners as basically compounds. There's not too much of a difference. If you are doing this by hand, then you can use a more agressive product to remove the oxidation. Cotton towels or cotton applicators (sponges witha cotton cover) work best by hand for removing heavy oxidation. They have a lot more room for the removed oxidation to go and the agressiveness of the applicator also helps. Some stuff I like is PRO's DUZ-All, Meguiar's DACP, and 3m's Rubbing Compound.

You'll have to use a polish them to get the final shine and remove any haze from the paint from the compound. Meguiar's #9 and PRO's Swirl Elimnator and Polish work well. Use a foam applicator for the final polish.

Old 12-23-2003, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice. It looks like I have some work ahead of me. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 12-23-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Intel486
I've been outta detailing for about 7 months so I might be a little rusty but...
I doubt that you're "very" rusty!

Quick Reply: Heavy Oxidation