Glass Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glass Cleaner

I can't seem to get the windshield clean without streaking so I was going to try one of the recommended products (stoner, Meguiar's, etc). But I remember a thread awhile back that talked about using wax to clean the glass.

Do you just put it on, let it dry and polish it off? Would I be better going with one of the good quality glass cleaners instead of trying the wax?

Thanks

Old 01-04-2004, 08:23 PM
I use windex and paper towels and then rainx wipes. Rainx is awesome.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think there are many folks putting wax on the inside of their glass... I may be mistaken here but, I think it's a safe bet to say that they aren't.

They do, however, use wax on their glass (me included). Same technique as if you were waxing your vehicle. Apply, haze, remove. Simple.

I will tell you that it won't last long at all on your windshield with the wipers running...

For interior (and Exterior) glass, I'd HIGHLY recommend the Stoner's Invisable Glass.

RP

Old 01-05-2004, 12:57 AM
Believe it or not the best way I've found to clean the inside of the windshield is to spray on windex and instead of wiping it off with paper towels, use newspaper. I know it sounds crazy, but it works. No streaks!

Old 01-05-2004, 03:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using newspaper to clean windows is a pretty common thing to do and it works great!

For the aerosol glass cleaners like Stoner's Invisible Glass and PRO's AGC-18 I like to use Micro Fiber towels or paper towels. They seem to work the best.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:41 AM
There are a number of good glass cleaners that should give one "streak free" results. Stoner's IG is certainly one of them. I actually prefer SprayWay over Stoners IG, but they are very close. Meguiar's Detailers Series Glass Cleaner concentrate is also extremely good, and the best value of any glass cleaner. One gallon will make over 40 quarts.

Having said that, the "best" glass cleaner I've found to date, is Poorboy's Spray & Wipe, but it's a bit pricey for that use.

Old 01-05-2004, 09:52 AM
If I'm reading BiteMe's question correctly, I wanted to point out that waxing the windshield isn't for the sake of cleaning it so much as it is repelling water and future grime. Rather like a replacement for RainX. If you decide to wax the windshield you still want to start by cleaning it with any of the recommended products in this thread.

And I'll put my vote in for Stoner's IG – it's fairly cheap, easy to find, and does a great job.

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2004, 09:55 PM
I'll cast another vote for Stoners Invisible Glass and a couple good 16"x16" MF towels. They do the trick on my vehicles.

-Mike-

Old 01-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Zep 40 is the best glass cleaner I've ever used.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:53 PM
I'll cast my vote for Stoner's as well.

As for taking it off I use rags cut from cotton bed sheets. I know, I know, it sounds odd, but back in high school I used to work for a general contracting company that my grandfather started. When he started it, it was a cleaning company only and his main thing was cleaning commercial and residential windows. I started on the cleaning team with several of the guys who had began working with my grandfather back in the late 60's and had been cleaning windows, floors, etc for a long time.

We pulled up to a window job and one of the "older" guys (he was at least 38yrs old....remember I was in high school ) started going through the bin of rags and was rubbing each one between his thumb and forefinger. Some of them he'd keep and some he would toss aside. Well I just grabbed a handful and headed off to the house to start washing windows. By the 3rd window I realized that not all "rags" were created equal. He could dry his window with about 2 swipes of his "dryrag" and I would have been better off trying to dry mine with a ziploc bag than the "dryrags" I had grabbed.

After lunch I took the time to learn from the wise "old" window man and found out why he was rubbing each rag and what he was looking for. He was feeling them to eliminate the ones that felt "slick" and to find the cotton ones. I followed his advice and the second 1/2 of the day went much better than the first 1/2.

I still have a couple of those rags left today and they are the ones I still use. Pretty soon I am going to have to raid the wife's linen closet to see if she has any in there worth cutting up though.

chknbone

Old 01-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Underwear! Underwear that has been washed one last time!

Old 01-07-2004, 06:44 PM
I use Bonami on the glass (only the 1st time).
Then I use Stoner's IG.
Now all I do is mist a microfiber towel with water and wipe the inside and outside glass clean and streakfee.

Old 01-10-2004, 06:40 AM
I own a custom picture framing business, and as you can imagine, I clean a lot of glass. I use an aresol glass cleaner made by (for) Larson Juhl. They are a big supplier to the framing industry. This stuff works great. We certainly don't want to open up sealed artwork to have to clean the glass again, so it must be done right the first time. One trick...spray the paper towel, not the glass. Ask a framing shop in your area to get some for you. It's not cheap, but if you don't like it, your wife or GF will love it for cleaning mirrors and framed art around the house.

MR

Quick Reply: Glass Cleaner