Clearcoat Cracking.. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearcoat Cracking.. HELP

Well the other day when i was buffing the truck i noticed that there were tiny cracks in the clearcoat on the hood / roof. When i took it to the dealer to get looked at, the rep said that they've seen quite a few with the same problem (also called crowfooting or something like that) The district rep took a look at it and they told me it would be $1100... FOR THE HOOD AND ROOF ONLY! He said they need to strip it to the bare metal and prime, paint, wetsand, clear, exc... The offer he gave me was to incur half the cost, and let me cover the other half, rental, exc while its in the shop for "a minimum of 1 week" Is this a fair deal or am i getting screwed just a lil bit? Its a Black Ford Excursion and it sits outside alot in hot and sunny south texas... I wax it periodically and keep it as clean as I can but yet this still happens... However this was only an offer and I didnt go into it much further because of a appointment I had to go to. But what do you guys think? I know squat about paintwork and generally have no clue. I just hope i can get out of this in one piece without dropping too many a dollar on it... THANKS FOR ANY INFO / IDEAS

Old 01-13-2004, 10:25 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I too have a few of these on my truck. I'm not sure what to tell you other than to confirm that it's an EXTREMELY COMMON PROBLEM and is associated with the clear/paint curing too rapidly I'm told.

It all boils down to you... do you really want to be without it for a week and shell out the $ for the repair or is it something you can live with...

Best of luck with your decision and let us know.

RP

Old 01-14-2004, 12:54 AM
I've got the same thing going on in what I call the "rain groves" on the roof. I've decided just to live with them because heck, it's just the roof. I'm not sure what I would do if it was on the hood as well. On the other hand.....sounds like a legitimate explanation to tell the wife why you NEED to order a new hood

chknbone

Old 01-14-2004, 12:57 AM
(an aftermarket hood of course)

Old 01-14-2004, 07:56 AM
My 94 Turador(sp) Red Aerostar was doing the same thing, we had it painted (whole vehicle) in the Fall of 2001. It was done by a privately owned body shop. It did not have to be stripped, just lightly sanded, and painted and clearcoated on top of the paint. It still looks great. The body shop owner said if you go thru the color paint it would have to be stripped $$$

Old 01-14-2004, 11:13 AM
The price tag/timeframe sounds fairly accurate for the type of work they're suggesting, but you can always take it to a couple of different body shops - they should do free estimates and it doesn't take very long. Different paint colors mean different prices, but if memory serves, black is actually one of the cheaper paint colors.

Even if you can't go through a private body shop (which is the way to go when you want quality work) it doesn't hurt to get the estimates so you know you're not getting screwed.

Old 01-14-2004, 04:25 PM
What they are telling me is work AT the dealer. How would i go about getting them to let me do this at a diff shop? From what I am thinking, dont they just have to wetsand the clear and recoat? I dont think i need a whole new spray, its just the clear. I just want to get this all done since the worst of it is on the hood where its really noticable. I dont need a diff color or anything, I just want this all to go away since black brings out ALL the imprefections, swirls and such. I will go and get some opinions and quotes today and tomorrow. I was told by my dad that maybe getting it sanded down and just giving it a coat of gloss black and keep a few coats on the paint will give it the same look as i have right now (would it dull at all?) Since it has the hot nasty sun on it alot, I would have a tad of a UV problem but i think if i get a good like 3 or 4 coats of wax it'd be fine... Sorry for all the questions, but im a complete idiot on paintwork and suck... THANKS

Old 01-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Get a second opinion.

Then get a third.

My gut reaction is that this guy wants a nice profit. I had (3 years ago) an entire car sanded, filled, primed and repainted for $1200 at a local bodyshop with a good rep. The car looked like new when I sold it.

Old 01-14-2004, 11:22 PM
So i gather FORD is doing very little to reconcile the problem???
I came here in search of a post like this because i found the clear coat actually pealing off of my truck above the rt rear wheel. I was hoping ford was doing something about this. I may inquire at a local dealer anyway.

Old 01-16-2004, 02:20 AM
tiny cracks in the clearcoat on the hood / roof.
Ive got a couple on my roof and one very small one on my drivers side door. I wax over them and smile

Old 01-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have that on my hood and roof also(black truck) I hate it, makes it look like a$$. Anyway, I stopped at a private body shop and asked him about it, he said he has seen it alot too. But he said it would cost about 400-$500 to repaint the hood (not roof). I didnt ask what all was involved(if he was gonning to strip it down etc) since I was in a hurry. I think later on I might get a new hood, so Im living with it for now.

Old 01-25-2004, 12:53 AM
paint problems

I HAD THE SAME THING ON MY ROOF FORTUNATLY MINE IS UNDER WARRENTY BUT IT DID NOT TAKE A WEEK ONLY 2 DAY TO REDO THE HOOD AND THE ROOF TAKE IT TO A BODY SHOP DEALERS ALWAYS TRY TO RIP YOU OFFTHEY EVEN TRIED TO WORM THERE WAY OUT OF RE PAINTING MY TRUCK THEY WERE JUST GOING TO DO TOUCH UPS UNTIL I STARTED TO GET LOUD

Quick Reply: Clearcoat Cracking.. HELP