Detailing Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing Checklist

I'm wondering if you guys can give me a general list of the "best" care items for detailing of vehicles. I have always been a perfectionist, but you guys have motivated me to aspire to a whole new level of vehicle care.

Is this correct..? the order to wash: interior, engine, tires/wheels, wheel wells, rocker panels, the rest...

1. What do you use on engine?
2. How and with what do you clean wheel wells?
3. What is the best window cleaner, and use rags or paper towels?
4. What brand name of towels for drying?
5. What is the best tire detailer?
6. What is the best interior detailer, leather seat detailer?
7. I hate wash mitts, and have been using a long handled brush, what is the best/softest brush?

Anything else anyone can think of???

Thanks guys...
------------------------e, tires/wheels, wheel wells, rocker panels, the rest...

7. I hate wash mitts, and have been using a long handled brush, what is the best/softest brush?

Thanks guys...

Old 01-19-2004, 04:00 AM
i can't answer all the questions but stoner's invisble glass is the best window cleaner that i have used. high quality microfiber towels are the best towels that you can buy to clean your truck, including the windows.

Old 01-19-2004, 07:40 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Detailing Checklist

Originally posted by KTNC
I'm wondering if you guys can give me a general list of the "best" care items for detailing of vehicles. I have always been a perfectionist, but you guys have motivated me to aspire to a whole new level of vehicle care.

Is this correct..? the order to wash: interior, engine, tires/wheels, wheel wells, rocker panels, the rest...

1. Engine compartment. More recently, I've been utilizing two different products. Both are from Meguiar's (suprise!). One is called EXTRA, however, I don't think they're making it anymore. I've been cutting it at a 1:1 ratio with H20. The other is APC+ (All Purpose Cleaner). It's a part of the Meguiar's Detailer line of products. I think both are available here: www.premiumautocare.com .

2. Wheel wells. See engine compartment chemicals above as I use the same products with a nylon bristled brush... and lots of elbow grease. I also like Westley's Bleach White for wheel wells; just don't get it on any metal if at all possible. It's pretty caustic. This is another product that you might consider cutting 1:1 with water.

3. Windows... hands down, as was said in an earlier post, Stoner's Invisible Glass. Available at the aforementioned website or at your local Autozone. I also seem to recall that someone spotted it at their local Wally-Hell (Wal-Mart).

4. Meguiar's Waffle Weave Drying Towels. www.meguiars.com

5. Tire Detail. That's all a matter of opinion but, my personal preference for fairly high shine and longevity is Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss. Available just about anywhere. A little goes a est interior detailer, leather seat detailer?

[/B][/QUOTE]

1. Engine compartment. More recently, I've been utilizing two different products. Both are from Meguiar's (suprise!). One is called EXTRA, however, I don't think they're making it anymore. I've been cutting it at a 1:1 ratio with H20. The other is APC+ (All Purpose Cleaner). It's a part of the Meguiar's Detailer line of products. I think both are available here: www.premiumautocare.com .

2. Wheel wells. See engine compartment chemicals above as I use the same products with a nylon bristled brush... and lots of elbow grease. I also like Westley's Bleach White for wheel wells; just don't get it on any metal if at all possible. It's pretty caustic. This is another product that you might consider cutting 1:1 with water.

3. Windows... hands down, as was said in an earlier post, Stoner's Invisible Glass. Available at the aforementioned website or at your local Autozone. I also seem to recall that someone spotted it at their local Wally-Hell (Wal-Mart).

4. Meguiar's Waffle Weave Drying Towels. www.meguiars.com

5. Tire Detail. That's all a matter of opinion but, my personal preference for fairly high shine and longevity is Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss. Available just about anywhere. A little goes a long way. While you're buying this product, look for a product from Eagle One called Tire Swipes. They're foam applicator pads that make using the Endurance easy!

6. Interior Detailer. I like Vinylex as an interior protectant however, I have only used it once. I just don't like a shiny interior and prefer the look of matte well over that of gloss. As far as leather is concerned, having Castano leather seats as part of the King Ranch package, I've tried MULTIPLE types of leather cleaners/conditioners. I keep coming back to Lexol. Be sure the surface of the seat is clean prior to application though. As a cleaner, I utilize Eagle Ottowa's Leather Cleaner.

7. Can't help you here as I despise brushes on a car's finish. I don't think they do a good job and offer a higher opportunity for scratches due to lack of ability to 'lift' sand or dirt grains away from the finish. I utilize a 100% cotton pad or a lamb's wool mitt.

8. Anything else? YES! You haven't mentioned a good 'detailer' product. This is one of those little areas that goes unlooked by alot of people but will really add some 'POP' to your final product. Meguiar's seems to be the most recognized name in this line of products. You can find Meguiar's Quick Detailer at your local Wally-Hell or at just about any autoparts store. To apply, you simply mist it across the surface and wipe off. You'll notice any water marks and smears will just disappearlong way. While you're buying this product, look for a product from Eagle One called Tire Swipes. They're foam applicator pads that make using the Endurance easy!

6. Interior Detailer. I like Vinylex as an interior protectant however, I have only used it once. I just don't like a shiny interior and prefer the look of matte well over that of gloss. As far as leather is concerned, having Castano leather seats as part of the King Ranch package, I've tried MULTIPLE types of leather cleaners/conditioners. I keep coming back to Lexol. Be sure the surface of the seat is clean prior to application though. As a cleaner, I utilize Eagle Ottowa's Leather Cleaner.

7. Can't help you here as I despise brushes on a car's finish. I don't think they do a good job and offer a higher opportunity for scratches due to lack of ability to 'lift' sand or dirt grains away from the finish. I utilize a 100% cotton pad or a lamb's wool mitt.

8. Anything else? YES! You haven't mentioned a good 'detailer' product. This is one of those little areas that goes unlooked by alot of people but will really add some 'POP' to your final product. Meguiar's seems to be the most recognized name in this line of products. You can find Meguiar's Quick Detailer at your local Wally-Hell or at just about any autoparts store. To apply, you simply mist it across the surface and wipe off. You'll notice any water marks and smears will just disappear (especially when you're removing it with a high quality microfiber towel -- again, available from premiumautocare). Microfiber is one of the detail world's best kept secrets but they're becoming more prevalent. Get a couple of them! They're pricey but well worth it. As a side note, I like Meguiar's Quick Detailer and also their Final Detail product. FD is part of the detailer's line again (like APC+) and can be purchased by the single gallon from PAC.

I hope that helps... feel free to post additional questions/comments/concerns.

Take care!

RP

Old 01-19-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys...

Rockpick:

- When using the Stoners on the windows, what do you wipe it off with? Paper towels, clean rags?

- Doesn't anyone use Armor All on the dash..? I confess I like the shiny look.

- Towels - Microfiber, does Meguires sell these or are they only available on the net (Premierautocare)? And use these for detailing and waxing..?

Thanks... Man it's nice to know there are other people as **** as I am...

Old 01-19-2004, 04:38 PM
-With stoners I use microfiber towels.

-I don't thonk most people here use armorall for interiors, some use this on wheel wells.

- Microfiber and other towels are available from many places and many people have there favoeite vendors, which I am sure they will mention.

Old 01-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We're having technical difficulties with the board so please exucse the 'quote' above that I started with... it's doing multiples and doing other weird things when we edit or quote... bear with us.

As far as the Stoner's, like Liny, I use MF towels. They're the only way to go. Some will say newspaper works great but, for me, it simply didn't.

premiumautocare.com (not premier) is a great site. That's where I've bought nearly all of my MF. Meguiar's does have a microfiber towel. It's called the ULTIMATE WIPE. It's a nice product but, between you and me, it's overpriced. I'd rather spend $13 on one Soft and Plush Blue MF towel from premiumautocare.com any day of the week over that of the meg's towel.

I don't like armorall honestly. It's an okay product but, I've never liked the shiny look. Vinylex is a better product with better UV protection... it's just as shiny. Might give it a whirl... of course, it's about $9/bottle rather than $5 for AA.

RP

Quick Reply: Detailing Checklist