Acid based wheel cleaner. To use or not to use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acid based wheel cleaner. To use or not to use?

My wheels on my '02 KR are looking mighty rough after all the snow we've had this winter. I used to use those spray on wheel cleaners which, I believe are nothing but dilluted acid. Any concerns or any reccomendations out there? If I'm not mistaking, I think there is a clear coat on most rims. So, abrasives probably wouldn't be good idea.

It's not like I'm going to wash my KR any day soon. I'm just thinking about all that has to be done to bring my truck back to showroom quality again. And looking at my window, its going to be another 6 weeks + until it's warm enough.

Happy ********ING Winter!

Ron

Old 01-27-2004, 07:29 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello Ron...

Personally, I bet you're not allowing the cleaner to stay on the wheel long enough...

With that in mind, let me recommend a couple of consumer products that are fairly readily available...

The first is Meguiar's Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner.

Spray on, allow to sit for several minutes, spray off.

The second is Meguiar's Hot Rims Cleaner.

Again, spray on, allow to sit for several minutes, spray off.

You may also consider some of the 'multi-purpose' cleaners that are readily available on the market like Meguiar's Citri-Gel or Meguiar's APC+ (which are part of Meguiar's Detailer line). Both products are good but, again, you need to allow them to sit to work.

I've used Citri-Gel on my wheel wells and was blown away by what it removed with just a little aggitation with a nylon bristled brush... they were VERY bad.

Most all of the 'Wheel cleaner' type of products out there on the market are made with the consumer in mind. What I mean by that is that they *ARE* chemically agressive from a pH standpoint. This, of course, isn't the best thing in the world for clearcoated rims (like our KR rims and most all of the F-series rims available). With that in mind, I've always been a firm advocate of simply using blunt elbow grease to get the wheels clean. It's a pain and the wheels are contoured almost to prohibit getting them perfect but, with any product like this, to achieve good results, you're going to have to get down there with a sponge and your car shampoo and do some 'fine tuning'.

Plus, one thing to remember that *WILL* help you in the long run is to make sure that your wheels are waxed with a nice synthetic polish. Meguiar's NXT, Meguiar's Premium Paint Protection (MPPP)Zaino, UPP, or Klasse are all great names on the market that people seem to like. It is important to utilize a synthetic though because of the high temperatures generated by the rotors etc... regular carnauba wax will simply melt off and provide little to no protection because of the temperatures.

I hope that provides a little insight. Feel free to post additional questions or email me directly.

Enjoy that KR and keep her clean!

RP

Last edited by Rockpick; 01-27-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will go out and pick up some Maguiars. As I can see, Maguiars is a much liked product line amongst the boards here. Thanks for the info.

Ron

Old 01-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by normikg
I will go out and pick up some Maguiars. As I can see, Maguiars is a much liked product line amongst the boards here. Thanks for the info.

Ron
Ron,

Yeah... they make generally solid products that are liked among most of your peers...

There are alot of great products out there... Meguiar's just happens to be one of them. I think you'll be happy with the results.

RP

Quick Reply: Acid based wheel cleaner. To use or not to use?