Ding King

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 05:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ding King

Anyone ever use that ding king, I think that is the name of it. It is on a infomercial on tv and now they sell it at Wal-Mart. It is the one where you glue a dent pulling tab to the center of the dent, place pulling bridge over dent pulling tab, twist turning **** till it pops! I was wondering if it actually worked or not. I have a dent in my driver side back door right across the molding. It is an eye sore mre than anything and I want to remove it. Would be great if this works...It's like 20 bucks or something and would be a cheap way to fix a few little dings here and there.

Thanks,
TheBHM

Old 01-30-2004, 10:43 AM
For the most part, it does take the dents out, but you might want to refer to my reply in this thread:

Paintless Dent Removal?

In short, paint doesn't bend. Whenever you do some sort of paintless dent removal you are creating thousands of little micro breaks in the paint. You can't see it at first, but given a few years (which is faster than you think) you will see the paint bubble up anywhere you did a paintless dent removal, and you'll also begin to see rust right about the same time.

It seems to be a risk a lot of people here are willing to take, and if I didn't love my truck so much I might be one of them. Don't mean to scare anyone, but you deserve to know the truth behind paintless dent repair scams.

Old 01-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All of the ads for these dent pullers miss one important point - they only work on dents where the metal has not been physically stretched. (Note: That's different than being simply deformed.) One question you have to ask is "If true dent removal was really that simple, why don't body shops use that gizmo for everything?" The answer is that some dents will come out with it, but the vast majority require a different technique and a whole lot more skill.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:23 PM
I bought a Ding King about a year ago in one of those "As seen on TV" stores in the mall. Because I had noticed a small dent in the side of my bed, and I thought it might actually work. Long story short, it didn't. I had a dent in my bed that looked like someone had hit it with their elbow, so I tried the Ding King on it. It brought most of the dent out, but you can still see where the dent was if you look real close. But it said on the box that it doesn't work for all dents. It mostly works well with big dents that are easy to pull out. But if you have a small dent, the glue that holds the tab to the body of the truck will not hold, as you have to use more pulling pressure for smaller dents. That's just my experience.

Quick Reply: Ding King