New Meguiar's wax?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still haven't seen it yet. So I bought a tub of Meguiar's cleaner wax. I thought I might as well get all the winter oxidation off my truck before I apply the NXT. Hopefully AutoZone or Advance has it in stock sometime this week.

Old 02-07-2004, 12:29 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Keep in mind that the most important step in making your vehicle look top notch is prep work...

Old 02-07-2004, 02:25 PM
I might try my clay bar too, but I don't think it really needs it. It just depends. I've had pretty good luck with the Meguiar's cleaner wax for prep work. It get's the oxidation off my paint and removes most of the swirl marks. I've never really needed a clay bar on my truck, but I have used it on my Grandpa's truck. He has a 1994 Chevy 1500 (it only has 15k miles on it!) pickup that's beige or tan in color. And the roof of the cabin was getting rough to the touch and the paint looked dull and flat. So I used a clay bar and clay lube on it. That sucker looked good as new after I clayed it! Not to mention as smooth as a babies butt. Then I went over it with Meguiar's cleaner wax, then a coat of yellow #26. My Grandpa couldn't believe how good it looked! I just have to say, I didn't know sqwat about clay bars and paint prep until I came to this site. And I just want to thank you guys for helping me learn so much! Thanks...you guys are great!

Old 02-14-2004, 05:22 PM
Moderator &

I finally got to try it today...

Started by claying the surfaces that needed it, followed with a #9 Swirl Remover coat (with the PC), and then finished with the NXT (with the PC as well)...

First impression is that this stuff is awesome. It went on very easy (obviously as I was using a machine to apply) and came off with SIMPLICITY. It left behind a smooth, deep glossy finish that rivals that of my #26.

My initial opinion, as well as a few other's opinion, was that it yielded somewhat of a 'suran wrapped' look but, this wasn't my impression on my Chestnut Brown truck. In fact, the shine and gloss rivals that of carnauba in my opinion.

They say that it gets a little different look after a few days so, we'll wait and see what time brings.

I'm pretty tired and it's just about time to head out for some errands but, I'll post a full 'how I did it' type of post later tonight or tomorrow. I doubt I'll include pictures as I still stand by my guns in that pictures of waxed vehicles simply don't do them justice unless it was a VERY neglected finish to start with.... You really have to stand over the vehicle and view the swirls/microscratches and see the before and after...

Anyway... I like it so far....

RP

Old 02-14-2004, 05:44 PM
Excellent RP! Looking forward to the "full" review! Once you get another light coat on there, try adding a light coat or two of #26.............. maybe to half the tailgate, and see how it compares to the NXT by itself.

Last edited by Boss_429; 02-14-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Boss_429
maybe to half the tailgate, and see how it compares to the NXT by itself.

Good idea. I'm going to let the NXT sit for a day or two though... I want to make sure it's cured.

Old 02-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by RockPick

My initial opinion, as well as a few other's opinion, was that it yielded somewhat of a 'suran wrapped' look but, this wasn't my impression on my Chestnut Brown truck. In fact, the shine and gloss rivals that of carnauba in my opinion.

RP
Ya know.............. I was sitting here thinking about that statement! (sad isn't it) Anyhow, I've noticed some pics where the NXT had a bit of the "suran wrap" look. (not a lot, but a bit) I've also noticed some pics where it didn't seem to have that look. I'm betting that oils in #9, or any similar prep product might help eliminate most of that "suran wrap" look.

When I think about it, all the other sealants (like Zaino, Klasse, UPP and others) recommend removing any polish by-products before applying the sealant. On the vehicle I did, we used a prep product that "doesn't" have any oils/silicones in it, and you could definitely tell that the NXT was a sealant?

Hmmmmmmmm........... I feel a another "test" coming on!

Old 02-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Rockpick,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad weather and timing cooperated to give you the time with your truck. You recently purchased the PC, right? Was this the 1st time using it? I've gotten one over the winter and am waiting to use it when the weather gets nicer up here.

I'm looking forward to the follow up postings about the NXT.

John

Old 02-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Moderator &

Indeed, this was the first trial of the new PC....

Old 02-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Indeed, this was the first trial of the new PC....
Any "damage" to the paint?

Old 02-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Boss_429
Any "damage" to the paint?
There definately were some scratches and swirls PRIOR to the PC....

I can't believe what a HUGE time saver the PC is.... plus, it really works the product the way that it's meant to be worked.... Not sure why I was so scared of it now... it's a NICE item!

I didn't 'perfect' my method and didn't totally rid myself of a few minor scratches but, I definately made them look 1000 times better.

Maybe once I get a little more versed with it I'll give DACP a whirl to try to knock out a few of the problem areas.

RP

Old 02-14-2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the info RP. I finally got to wax mine two days ago with Meguiar's cleaner wax. That's all I've got to work with as of now because the local auto parts stores around here do not carry the NXT. I'm not sure when they'll get any in, but I can assure you I'll be checking on it! Please keep us posted on your results!

Old 02-15-2004, 09:56 AM

Not sure why I was so scared of it now... it's a NICE item!

RP
You know me, I'm not the kind of guy that would say "I told ya" but................................... "I TOLD YA"!!

Old 02-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Damn RockPick is a sale out…

Now I have to be a buffer wuss all by myself…

At least I use a quality polish that don’t need a buffer for excellent results so my buffer phobia shall not hinder me…

Old 02-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Moderator &

You need one Burt!!!! I'm telling you man, there's NOTHING to be afraid of!!

Yeah yeah yeah Boss... I know.

RP

Quick Reply: New Meguiar's wax?