Mothers

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mothers

How does Mothers compare amongst Zaino and Meguiars? What do you think of it by itself?

Old 01-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Out of those three... it's third on my list.

Others might have a different opinion but, I haven't heard much about their products and the ones that I've tried have been average at best.

RP

Old 01-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Mothers makes some pretty good stuff:

Their car wash is very good.
Their cleaner wax is one of the best cleaner waxes available.
Their pure carnauba wax is also very nice.
Their Showtime detailer is excellent.

They do lack a good line of serious polishes and paint cleaners for good prep work, and some of their other products like their Back to Black trim stuff I really don't like.

Old 02-02-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Boss_429
Mothers makes some pretty good stuff:

Their car wash is very good.
Their cleaner wax is one of the best cleaner waxes available.
Their pure carnauba wax is also very nice.
Their Showtime detailer is excellent.

They do lack a good line of serious polishes and paint cleaners for good prep work, and some of their other products like their Back to Black trim stuff I really don't like.
I used their California carnauba wax... Shiny and sleek

Old 02-02-2004, 02:27 AM
Mother's is pretty good, easy to use. It's definetely at the top of the list in the consumer products line, aside from Meg's new NXT line which seems to be scoring well so far.

Last edited by RANCH4x4ES; 02-02-2004 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have never tried Zanio, so I cannot comment on that, but using RP's Zano to Meguires comparison, I would put Mothers on Par with both.
I have been using it for the better part of 15 years.
They don't have the 400 bottles of stuff, but do have Paint Cleaners, Polish, Glaze / Sealer, and non cleaner wax ( also have cleaner wax,) . They also have the Clay bar, and the quick detailer. Along with the scratch remover, and car washes.

I have done the process of Clay Bar, Pre-Wax cleaner,glaze/sealer, Phase III wax, and the process of Clay Bar, Polish/Wax and Phase III wax with great results.
I washed the truck last night, brought it home, and after the ice melted off in the garage ( nice to have a heated garage in Chicago ) all I needed to do was dry it off, some quick detailer and it still feels as smooth as the day I clay'd and waxed it in NOV.

looking at it at the coin op wash ( so I did not turn my driveway into an ice skating rink ), I did notice after 3 months of Salt, that the body line just above the trim, down to the bottom seems to be missing wax ( no beading ), but what can I expect from 3 months, and the truck was white on the sides from salt.

I have used back to black at times, but only when it is real bad, other wise I just use Armour All cleaning whipes on the black plastic. I'd rather know if the black plastic turns too much of a milky white, so I can spray it with bumper dye, adn not have the dressing in the plastic to remove.

The Meguires line that I tried was the Professional series, I have yet to try the NXT line, which only seems to be the wax, not a polish ( unless I am looking in the wrong place, as the Body Shop Professional Hand Polish does not appear to be synthetic ).

All this said, I am using a Cyclo dual head DA polisher for application, and a 11" Sears industrial series buffer for removal, so that might cause the products to work differently then if done by hand.

Good luck picking a polishing product line, as from what I can tell, it is a subjective opinion on which is best, and which lasts longer ( aside from synthetic, which won't melt off in the summer like any Carnuba wax will ). USe what you like, it is better then what seems to be 85% of the population, which think the wax at the Gas station car wash is good enough. But those are the same people who have black front wheels from not cleaning them

Quick Reply: Mothers