Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice............ Very Nice!

Old 02-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Hey RP

GET THOSE TOWELS OFF THE GROUND!!! YOU ARE PICKING UP GRIT

Old 02-20-2004, 12:12 AM
RP, i see that you use the swirl reducer. i have the scratch x! same thing? which one's better? i actually called meguire's and talked to one of there techs. sounded alright, but he kinda let me answer my own questions. but all in all, he was a help. i'm surprised you didn't answer the phone when i called!!!

Old 02-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK RP and Boss.

Ordered the NXT series wax along with #9 swirl remover and the non abrasive medallian paint cleaner today. I also ordered the NXT trim protectant, so we wiil see how that works.

I will post back when I try these out.

Thanks for all your help

Eric

Old 02-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Willie,

I can't explain the chemical differences in the two products as I simply don't know them...

My understanding on the differences between #9 and S-X is that S-X is intended more for use on a very localized area (a single scratch) but can be utilized for slightly larger areas. #9 is intended for use with some type of machine application (like a PC) but, I've had pretty good luck in the past utilizing it by hand.

Also, S-X is a consumer branded product whereas the #9 is part of the Mirror Glaze line (Professional Products)...

I think Boss might be able to chime in a little better here as I'm simply not 100% sure how to hammer this answer home... I've never tried S-X.

RP

Old 02-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by srfd44
I will post back when I try these out.
Let us know how you like them srfd44. I'm anxious, specifically, to hear how you like the protectant.

RP

Old 02-20-2004, 02:10 PM
RP, like i said, i talked to meguires tech. he said it was o-k to use it to remove the spider webbing. but i know that companies will say anything to sell a product. i just wanted tyo know if anyone used it personally. but if you say that the #9 works good...then i'll try that to, but since i have scratch-x i want to use that first. plus i am afraid to use a buffer. really don't want to marr my baby!!

Old 02-20-2004, 06:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
RP,

My NXT order was sitting on the front porch when I got home today !! Now I just need some time to wash the truck to test it.

A question on options : NXT then # 26 you said was not a bad combo. As a comparison, have you tried #20 Polymer Sealant & #26 combo ? Just wanted to get an idea if this finish is close to the appearance combo as the NXT / #26.

# 20 does contain Silicones and lists Petroleum Distillates on the list. Some sites say this is just wrong. Me, I can't tell a difference in the performance, and I have never had a paint job "dry out", as some sites claim. Maybe that is those expensive EU paint jobs

Also did you get the NXT spray wax booster, or are you sticking with #51 FD over the NXT areas ? Guess it comes to which is the top coat, NXT or #26 ??

I am going to test the NXT - #26 combo on one side, and Black Fire on the other, to see which turns out better.
I have been playing with several combos, just seeing if they last longer, or look better then Mother's, which I have been on for a very LONG time, with good results. Keep in mind, that is wax, and is off the paint inside of 90 days.
Never hurts to look around. As for the Z brand, a company like them and Tumi that likes to play price control can kiss my @ss, and they are not getting a dime from me.

Old 02-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Moderator &

Hey SSCULLY....

To directly answer your questions, no. I haven't tried the 20/26 combo but have seen and heard of people that have done it with stellar results. I'm not sure how it'll match up against NXT but, my initial hunch is that it'll provide a similar depth with longevity that will rival the NXT.

I know I've seen some comparisons performed with Meguiar's Premium Paint Protection (PPP) verus the aformentioned combo of 20/26 and the general consensus seemed to lean towards the PPP so, I can't really say which might be better.

I have utilized PPP and LOVE the product and, in fact, it stands as my favorite 'one step' product available on the market. I still use it on the wifey mobile and have had GREAT luck with it... in fact, I applied it back in early November on her vehicle and I'm only now starting to see 'break down'. This after a fairly harsh winter thus far with enough salt to bring a popcorn popping facility to its knees.

I recently tried the NXT/26 combo as I've mentioned earlier. I'm still undecided on if I can tell a difference with the #26 over the NXT. The daylight around here has been conveluded with clouds and the occasional bout with moisture (rain) so, I'm not sure I'm getting a 'really good' look at the results head to head. As it stands at this very moment, I have half of my hood and half of my tailgate with the NXT and NXT/26 combo. I plan on watching both of them over the next few weeks to see if I can tell a difference in look and protection. I will report my findings...

I didn't buy the NXT Booster Wax as I've never bought into the 'spray on' wax concept. I'm sure it's a nice product but, I wax enough that I don't feel the need for a booster. You comparatively asked about FD in the same question but, I don't feel that these two products are remotely close for use. The booster wax is, well, a wax in spray form. You have to spray it on, smear it out, allow to haze, and then remove. The FD on the other hand is a straight detailing spray. It's loaded with silicones and gives the finish a HUGE pop and slick feel that is unsurpassed by ANY QD product that I've ever tried. FD is probably my favorite Meg's product...

As with anyone's testing on head to head comparisions, I'm interested in hearing what people find out. As most know, I'm a devoted Meguiar's user that has found their products to be superior under my own circumstances and testing but, I know that there are oodles of products out there... most of which I've never tried. The Poorboy's Spray and Wipe is a prime example of me bucking the stereotypical coined image that I have as an exclusive Meguiar's products end user. The S&W is AWESOME... plain and simple. I will be buying it by the gallon in the VERY near future....

Keep me posted on your results. There are bigger and better horizons out there I'm sure... to date, I simply haven't found them in my opinion. Meguiar's still stands at the top of MY list.

RP

Old 02-21-2004, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by RockPick
...<snip>..I didn't buy the NXT Booster Wax as I've never bought into the 'spray on' wax concept. I'm sure it's a nice product but, I wax enough that I don't feel the need for a booster. You comparatively asked about FD in the same question but, I don't feel that these two products are remotely close for use. The booster wax is, well, a wax in spray form. You have to spray it on, smear it out, allow to haze, and then remove. The FD on the other hand is a straight detailing spray. It's loaded with silicones and gives the finish a HUGE pop and slick feel that is unsurpassed by ANY QD product that I've ever tried. FD is probably my favorite Meg's product...
...<snip->..
RP
Now I got, from reading the description and the bottle, that this is the NXT version of QD, FI ( not ness # 51 ). ??
Maybe I got that wrong, but that is the way I look at it, and gathered. This is the reason that I mention the 2 in the same breath. Did I get that completly wrong ?
Figured that if you do a 100% NXT, that the detailing spray for touch-ups should be a NXT based product ( this is what I got from the term Booster ).
So how wrong did I get this ?
1. Final coat is NXT, use NXT based product for the touch ups.
2. Final coat is #26 use QD, #34 or #51 for the touch ups.

The part that has me wondering is what is the removal process for NXT ? If you want to go back to conventional wax, is a dawn job good enough, or is it more like Klasse / Zanio where a mineral spirit wash is needed ? Had anyone gone back yet ? Considering the age of NXT, this might be an unknown. ??

I still have quite a bit of #34 to use, I might pawn it off on dad, and go ahead and get some #51.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:21 AM
SSCULLY,

The NXT spray wax is not a QD........ it is a Spray Wax, and I wouldn't attempt to use it as one. If you wish, you can use it to prolong the NXT (or probably any product). However, apply it to a surface that's already been washed, or QD'ed with a product like the #34. (don't get rid of your #34) In other words, if your going to use a spray wax, you still need a good "cleaning" QD.

I wouldn't use to dawn to strip the NXT. As a matter of fact, if your surface is clean and swirl free, just start applying whatever "new" product you wish to use instead. However, if you don't feel comfortable doing that, use a paint cleaner, or light polish to remove the NXT, and start with your new products.

To give you an idea, last year, at one time, my truck had UPP, topped with Adam's Butter Wax, topped with Poorboy's EX, topped with Trade Secret, topped with P21S, topped with Natty's wax. I never made an attempt to "remove" any of them. However, some of those products have "slight" cleaning abilities, and remove some of the previous product on their own.
When I wanted to "strip" all that stuff to start over, I used a diluted, caustic free APC to do it.

Old 02-22-2004, 02:18 PM

This from Meguir's web site is what had me confused :
The fastest way to re-energize your gloss and protection. Meguiar's NXT Generation Spray Wax builds on the results you have already achieved with NXT Generation Tech Wax. It's a spray-on "Booster Wax" that adds protection with superior polymer technology (ESP's) while restoring the deep, dark, wet-look shine. Use it dry for fast touch-ups, or use wet after washing your car to quickly restore the "Just-Waxed" look.
Kind of sounds #34 / #51'ish to me. It is not marketed as a QD/FI of any type, but that maybe due to it is more NXT, then the parts that are something like #51 / #34.

I was looking at getting rid of my #34 in favor of switching to
#51, as RP and a few others like the #51 better then #34.

From what I have read ( or mis-read ) about the ESP (Engineered Synthetic Polymers) you would not want a wax base under this. maybe I a mis-understanding mroe then understanding how ESP works, but that is what I have gathered to date on ESP.

So a polish will remove NXT. Other synthetic paint protections you have to use mineral spirits to remove them, as they don't come off even with Dawn. So the ESP is not as strong of a bond as the other syn products, which could indicate the wear cycle of NXT to be less then the others, but in the same breath, NXT is far easier to apply in terms of specific directions. Guess there is a trade off for everything.
Like I said I am experimenting with a few again, I think I am going to try the BlackFire on a dark car firect to see how it turns out. Silver can be so hard to tell which is better. HEck it can be just driven in the rain, and still look clean
Thanks for the info, I am still considering the #34 for #51 swap, again due to the raves on #51. This is not a replacment of #34 for the NXT spray wax.

Old 02-22-2004, 02:25 PM
AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGG ....Numbers ...tooooooo many Numbers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to read along with you guys as you progress with testing ..All these friggin' M #'s are killing me.........I'll never figure out what to buy...!

Old 02-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Moderator &

I understand your confusion SSCULLY. Meguiar's is a bit vague on exact useage based on the information from the website but, trust me here.... The NXT Spray Wax is meant as a 'booster' not as a QD.

One primary example that it's not a QD is that you will have a 'haze' appear after applying the NXT SW. With FD and FI, you'll never see this...

Still though, there are TWO very different uses. The booster wax will add protection and luster. The FI/FD will add luster with little to no protection.

Also, any abrasive type of polish will remove just about anything under it. Even the Z guys talk about polishing off the Z to start fresh again. To my knowledge they utilize something like Meg's #9 which is a very fine abrasive polish. When you apply an ESP based sealant on something that has 'wax' on it, the ESPs won't bond correctly... or at least that's my understanding.

So, in summary...

FD/FI are detailing products
NXT Spray Wax is a booster product
NXT Tech Wax is really not a wax at all. The name is used there because of name recognition. If you put something in front of the public that says synthetic or sealant, they get worried and buy the Turtle Wax sitting next to it because of name recognition... wax.

Is that as clear as mud? LOL! I think I've made the water even murkier...

RP

Old 02-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Moderator &

Now that I've had a few days to allow the #26 to set on top of the NXT, I wanted to re-report...

The #26 has added a slight amount of depth that is noticable to the human eye. Personally, I don't see a great deal of difference but, I brought my wife out to take a look at it as well to get her opinion.

She thinks I'm crazy about this stuff and a bit over the edge. I didn't disclose to her which side of my hood I had done the #26 treatment to but, I wanted her to look at it and tell me if she could see any differences. Also note, I didn't tell her I had done anything different from one side to the other.

She picked the side with the NXT/26 combo as being a 'deeper shine'. So, even from an eye that really knows little to nothing about the processes involved, she noted a difference... and, like I said, I have too.

I can't even begin to differentiate between the two sides in pictures as they both look spectacular but, here is one picture with the #26/NXT combo...(a special thanks to Ford for tossing in a free orange peel application... bastids!!)

Also, here's another side shot of the vehicle with the NXT...

It looks good. I can definately say that. But, of course the jury is still out on durability. I'll post back...

RP

Quick Reply: Meguiar's NXT