Meguiar's NXT

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 10:51 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Meguiar's NXT

As many of you know, I've been itching to find a few days where the weather was looking like it might be okay so that I could give Meguiar's new NXT Tech Wax a spin. As you may have guessed, I've finally found a few days that fit that bill...

The NXT branded Meguiar's products have been on the public market for a few weeks now and, from everything I've been reading, the general consensus is that they are GREAT products. My review is no different.

In addition to trying the NXT, I also decided to try my new Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher....

I started by claying the problem areas of my truck as I haven't done a full clay in nearly 8 months. I utilized Meguiar's Final Inspection spray as a lubricant.

Secondly, I applied a coat of Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover to deal with several areas where I had serious problems with swirls and/or spider scratching. This was a VERY important step as I've read that many people have been somewhat upset about NXT's ability to hide and conceal scratches. For me, I decided that I wasn't going to let this be a problem. Hence, the #9... This was applied utilizing the aformentioned Porter Cable (PC) with a Soft-BuffMeguiar's pad (8006). I worked the product on the surface with the PC until it was nearly dry making sure to apply it very thin. Once applied, I removed the #9 with a DFT Concours MF towel from Premium Auto Care. The DFT was a god-send in this instance as the #9 was slightly difficult to remove using a regular Soft and Plush Blue MF towel.

I was satisfied with the results of the #9 and the general lack of swirls/spiders thus, I decided to move on to the NXT.

NXT was applied utilizing a Meguiar's Soft-Buff finishing pad (9006) on my PC. The product went on VERY smooth and yeilded a very nice scent. Removing the product was VERY simple. I mean, it was to the point that you could take the DFT Concours MF across the paint with little to no pressure downwards and remove the hazed NXT. This was, by far, the easiest product to remove that I've worked with in a VERY long time.... and that's saying something because, as you know if you've worked with Meguiar's #26, it's SIMPLE to remove. I also paid very close attention do door jambs, seams, and also the wheels.

After removing all of the NXT, I moved the vehicle out into direct light. As I had expected and had seen with many other vehicles that were dark colored that had tried NXT, I noticed somewhat of a VERY minor 'suran wrap' look. This, in my opinion, is typical of most all synthetics that I've seen on the market. I've only tried a couple but, Zaino and NXT definately have this suran wrap look IMHO. The NXT was only a slight suran though.

The finish is ULTRA-SLICK and gleams in the sunlight.

For those of you that are concerned with trim... I **INTENTIONALLY** dabbed a very small amount of NXT on the molding that everyone hates to get near with wax... the molding beneath the F-150/Expedition door windows (yes, the rubberized one). I made note to watch this area and, to date, I've noticed *NO* hazing or white marks on that rubber. I still don't recommend going out and doing a full application over the rubber but, I didn't see any sign of a 'white mark' or anything of that nature.

I decided to let the NXT cure for a day or so and then I'd go back over the entire truck with some #26 Yellow Carnauba to try to give it the 'depth' back.

To date, I haven't gone back over it with the #26. I simply haven't had time but, overall, this is Meguiar's easiest product to use that I've found from a wax standpoint. It is marketed as and is said to be a FULL SYNTHETIC (despite it's 'WAX' name) and thus, the longevity should be fairly good but, the jury is still out on this one as we all simply haven't had the time to test it in full. Early indications show that the NXT might start to diminish in short order but, I'm going to hold my comments until I know for sure.... I can't stand for anyone else's opinion but my own.

Feel free to ask questions. I think Boss and I both have given the product a try at this point and I think that both of us have a pretty good opinion of it.

RP

Old 02-18-2004, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice reveiw RP! I'm really interested in hearing your verdict on the #26 over NXT, as I think it will knock that "slight" synthetic look off the NXT. I'm thinking the combination of the two will give you a nice deep/dark/durable finish!

Keep us posted.

Old 02-18-2004, 08:42 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Boss_429
Keep us posted.
Shall do man.

So far, what has been your take with the NXT Boss?

Old 02-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Geesh RP, you get to wipe down your truck on the job (from the poor boys post). My boss would say I did'nt have enough to do on the drill rigs if he caught me doin that

Anyhoo, I read with great interest the review for NXT. My 98 black truck is difficult to keep clean and has a ton of swirl marks. Also I notice it starting to fade. I was thinking to use a synthetic wax when the weather breaks because I feel it would give me better protection from UV rays (eliminate the fading) and would last longer (During the summer months, I wax every 2 weeks, too much time for a busy man as myself). I looked into Zaino as they are local here, but there are too many steps, again time is a factor. I was thinking Meg #9 and then NXT then possibly a caranuba wax every now and then.

The big factor in all this is to find the products on the store shelves. For some reason I can't find the higher end Meg products. Guess I got to go to different auto stores around the area.

Old 02-18-2004, 09:14 AM
Moderator &

HAHA! I actually wasn't behind a rig yesterday but I was the day before. Fortunately, I'm not the one having to operate the rig but, watching the cuttings come up on the augers is pretty time consuming when you're really trying to note statagraphic changes on a small scale. 5.25" augers don't give much room for error.

I think your plan on the #9, NXT, and then an occasional carnauba treatment is probably a good idea. If the swirls are as bad as you make them sound, you might have to do multiple treatments with #9 to work them out. The PC (Porter Cable) will be a HUGE time saver if you have to do multiple coats... Plus, let's face it, it's another power tool... and we all know you can never have too many power tools.

I have a strong suspecion that the majority of the folks will start to see the NXT hitting their shelves very soon. If you can't wait, there's always meguiars.com or the 800# listed on the website. It ships out of California so, depending on your geographic location, it may take a few days to land on your doorstep.

Best of luck with it and please keep us posted as to your plan of attack and how you liked it.

RP

Old 02-18-2004, 09:15 AM
Moderator &

One more thing I could note in your case because you mentioned that you noticed 'fading'. You might want to clean your paint first. By this, I mean utilizing a chemically agressive product like Meguiar's Premium Paint Cleaner (Medallion Series product). I have a hunch that will remove the majority of your oxidation and fading issues. Follow that with the plan you mentioned above and I think you're golden...

RP

Old 02-18-2004, 09:48 AM

Thanks RP

Old 02-18-2004, 07:43 PM
srfd44,

If your paint need a pretty decent cleaning first, you may want to consider another new Meguiar's product called ColorX. It's an all-in-one product (cleans, polishes, protects). For a added durability and looks, you could top it with NXT, or another product if you wish. Here's an interesting post on the ColorX........

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...hp?threadid=88

Old 02-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Has anyone seen the NXT products at the local WallyWorld or Auto Stores? Are they only sold on the web???

Old 02-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by gschein
Has anyone seen the NXT products at the local WallyWorld or Auto Stores? Are they only sold on the web???
My understanding is that they're slowly trickling out into the market as we speak.

Wal-Mart, as I understand it, will be carrying some of the products and some have mentioned getting the NXT Wash at their local store...

Yes, they are available on the web. www.meguiars.com

The products are leaving Meg's shipping docks... it's now up to the local retailers (the Pep Boys, the Wal-Marts, the Autozones, etc) to get them out of their warehouses and on the shelf.

RP

Old 02-19-2004, 11:05 AM

Thanks Boss,

My truck is not too faded as it has not been neglicted in the waxing department. The black truck looks great ater waxing but it does'nt last. The waxes I use just does not give it enough UV protection and I have rewax again in two weeks for (the summer months).

I definately need to clean the paint first (from buildup), possibly with a clay bar (never used one but I seen the threads on them). A dawn wash will be the fist step. RP, your recommended product is "Chemically Aggressive", boy that scares me. I don't believe I need to go that far. I don't believe my paint is too oxidized as those cars in the back row of the junk yard.

My objective is to remove tons of swirl marks and to use a wax/polymer that will give me a shine for months instead of weeks.

What do you guys think about putting tire shine on the plastic cladding of vehicles? My wifes Escape looks horrible there and armour all only lasts until the next rainstorm.

Thanks for all your input.

Old 02-19-2004, 01:22 PM
srfd44,

Several things.......

I would agree with RP's recommendations to use the #9 polish, or a similar product(s) to remove the swirls.

The "chemically agressive" paint cleaner that RP mentioned like Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner, simply means that the product contains little, or no abrasives to clean the paint, but rather, chemicals to clean the paint. Those type cleaners won't hard you paint........... as a matter of fact, they are my "prefered" first step in the multiple step detailing process.

Next............. skip the dawn wash, unless you starting a complete Zaino process........... and even then you probably don't need it.

Don't put a tire shine product on your trim. My new favorite product for trim is Poorboy's Trim Restorer. My second favorite is Black Jack Black Again, but is a bit of a pain to apply. The Trim Restorer is easy to apply, and holds up pretty well.......... at least compared to other water based products.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Moderator &

Well, I managed to get a coat of #26 on the truck today.

I'll have to be honest here and say that I can't tell much difference with it over the NXT but, I'm going to hold off on final judgement because, with my past experience, #26 looks better the second day.

I have applied #26 to half of the hood (pass. side) and half of the tailgate (pass. side as well)... and the rest of the vehicle (minus the aforementioned parts).

In addition to looks, I'm going to watch to see how the durability appears to hold up as well.

As I've mentioned in the past, I'm not going to post pictures. They simply don't do it justice... and, IMHO, it's not representative of how the paint REALLY looks.... an automatic carwash will give any vehicle a little bit of luster and, in the right light, it'll look like it's really taken care of... we all know that it probably doesn't look that good though... pictures don't always tell the full story IMHO.

RP

Old 02-19-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by RockPick

As I've mentioned in the past, I'm not going to post pictures. They simply don't do it justice... and, IMHO, it's not representative of how the paint REALLY looks.... an automatic carwash will give any vehicle a little bit of luster and, in the right light, it'll look like it's really taken care of... we all know that it probably doesn't look that good though... pictures don't always tell the full story IMHO.

RP
Aaaaaaaaaaaa............. just post some damn pictures........ will ya already!

Seriously RP, I'm a bit surprised that you don't see any difference with the #26 on top. I would have thought that it would take some of the "edge" off the NXT with the soft, rich look of the #26?

Maybe it will take a day or two, or a another light coat of #26. However, if you don't notice much of a difference in a day or two, there probably isn't much sense going to a lot of trouble to add another coat of the #26.......... is there? You could just apply another coat of NXT, and be done with it.

Old 02-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Boss_429
Aaaaaaaaaaaa............. just post some damn pictures........ will ya already!
It's not that great but, you can see some interesting detail...

You can see:

1. The house next door and its windows.
2. Leftover snow/sleet on the ground.
3. My mud side yard.
4. The orange extension cord used for my PC.
5. Side of my house with one of the outside garage lights.

Plus some other stuff....

Like I said, the picture doesn't do it justice. It's cloudy as heck today and I don't have much of a way to jump through a hoop when the hoop isn't there...

There are the weapons of choice....

RP

Quick Reply: Meguiar's NXT