Rear window leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window leaks

Hey, fellows. I have a 98 Ford Ranger 4.0 (Extended Cab). Never had a problem with it until now. I found water leaking at the top of my rear headliner. So the water seems to be coming through the top seal of the rear window. I live in South Carolina and we recently had an ice storm and the only thing I can think of is that I must have loosened the rear window seal while chipping away thick ice from the window. DUMB. Now the wet spot is across the entire width of rear head liner, but the seal looks to have a slight gap only on both top corners of the window. Now I have seen other messages on other sites on How To Fix the problem, i.e., take the whole window out and replace the adhesive and seal. But wouldn't it be less expensive and easier to squirt some sort of clear silicone adhesive along the top of the seal?? Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated...pros and cons, etc. Thanks in advance for your help!

Mitchell

Old 02-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to f150online.com!

Here's a LINK to a how-to that I wrote to fix your rear window...

RP

Old 02-20-2004, 02:18 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
EDIT: Spelling

If you do not remove the glass and reseal it but try to seal it from inside the truck you will create an air pocket which allow water to collect in it and freexe and burst the seal. I removed mine twice to get it right. I used a tube of sealant that fits in a caulking gun. Do not be afraid to use a wide bead of sealant.

regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: Rear window leaks