New paint job, or alot of touch up.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 04:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New paint job, or alot of touch up.

Ok, got a question for you all, I have a lot of stone chips on my truck, and ive been thinking on what to do about it, get a new paint job, or... do a lot of touch up.. what do you guys think.

Old 02-21-2004, 07:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I have never had a touch up look good.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Depends

On what you plan to eventually do with the truck and what you mean by 'alot.' If it's alot of small areas that are barely noticable if you stand back and the truck still looks OK overall, Id go to the best bodyshop or detailer someone can recommend to you and see what they can do. If the finish overall just looks like total dookie to the point where it can no longer be salvaged, then Id go for the repaint. IF you eventually plan to sell the truck, you might have to be prepared to answer questions about why it was repainted though, as there's some people who will jump to the conclusion it's been hit if they see a complete paint job, or else who will question the quality of the work. But if you're gonna hold it forever and you just don't like the finish at all anymore, get it painted.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I learned a method from Intel486 a few years ago that makes the touch-up look like it never happend. In short, I've touched up numerous places on my truck to the point that you can't tell they were there...

The method works great for a 'onesy or twosey' but, I can't imagine doing it to any number over 5 spots. It's very time consuming and requires uber patience.

Get the paint job.

RP

Old 02-23-2004, 11:19 AM
As everyone said, if it's a moderate amount of spots, it's one thing. If there are several dozen issues then it's another. I personally tend to do as much as I can for myself. Here's the method I use.

Brush on the touchup paint. Let Dry. Wet sand with 400-grit automotive sand paper until the touchup paint becomes level with the original paint. Use GS27 or Meguires Scratch X to get rid of the sanding marks. Sanding the touchup paint takes time and effort to do it right and several coats of GS27 or whatnot will be required as well as a final polish/wax.

UrbanCowboy

Quick Reply: New paint job, or alot of touch up.