First try: Meguiars Mirror Glaze & using the PC

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First try: Meguiars Mirror Glaze & using the PC

While washing my truck yesterday I confirmed my suspicions that the 4 layers of Zaino I applied at the start of November had pretty much worn off. I had hoped that the protection would last until the weather got even better, but it's been a tough winter and my truck is exposed 24/7.
I don't have broad experience in polishing/waxing. A friend told me about Zaino a year or so ago, and I tried it and was very happy with it on my Silver '97 XLT. Before that, I generally used common consumer products like Meguiars Cleaner Wax. Zaino was a very good fit for my Silver truck because it didn't easily show imperfections in the paint and I always liked the "Zaino shine" on that truck.
Largely due to the knowledge and advice that gets shared here, I had been planning on giving the Meguiars Mirror Glaze products a try. I had also purchased a PC to use, especially to use in conjuntion with Swirl Remover to go after the fine scratches that are visible when the light hits the truck just right.
First thing I did was wash-clay-wash (dried with WW MF towels).
I set up my PC with a 6" counter-weight and a Meguiars Polisher Backing Plate (W-64DA for 6 1/2" Mirror Glaze Pads).
Using a Meguiars 6 1/2" Polishing Pad (W8006) I polished using the #9 Swirl Remover. I removed the #9 using a soft & plush (blue) MF towel.
Using another Meguiars 6 1/2" Soft Buff Polishing Pad, I polished using #7 Show Car Glaze. I removed the #7 using a DF towel.
Using a Meguiars Finishing Pad (W9006) on the PC, I applied 1 coat of #26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax. I removed the #26 using a DF towel.

I wasn't thrilled with the results after I polished with the #9 swirl remover. My truck doesn't have a serious swirl problem, but there are fine scratches that can be seen when the light hits them just right...they probably wouldn't be seen on most other colors. I suspect that I used too much (too wet) #9, and/or did not work it long enough with the PC. As I'm just getting used to it, I was afraid to "overwork" the PC and create more scratches. I probably need to give the #9 another chance before I try DACP.

I was quite please with the shine that the #7 brought out!

Topping off with #26 added more shine and depth. I am quite impressed. My truck looks better now than it did brand new 4000 miles ago with the freshly applied Z. (In fairness to Z, the Meguiars likely wouldn't have gotten me this far through the winter.)

For those of you who are familiar with these Meguiars products (I'm thinking RockPick here, but welcome feedback from anyone), I have a couple of questions:
1) How sparingly should the #9 be applied?
2) Should the #9 be worked in until it starts to dry? As I said above, I suspect that I undermined the #9 by applying too much and not working it in enough...mostly out of fear of "overdoing" it.
3) Could/should the #9 be used with a Meguiars "cutting pad", or would that be too aggressive? I'm wondering if that might be the way to go next time before trying DACP.
4) Having applied the #26 using the PC, is there any benefit in applying another "layer" of #26 the following day?
5) Is there an "ideal" time to wait before going over the #26 with Final Detail?
6) How often do you generally feel the need to polish with #7 vs. just putting on a maintenance coat of #26?

Sorry for the long post. I'm sure there were a couple of other questions that crossed my mind today...I'll post them if I think of them later. I'm definately pleased with the results overall. I think they'll get even better as I become more comforatable using the products and the PC. We also had a high temp. of only 42 degrees here today, so that took some of the enjoyment out of being outside and caring for the truck.

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: First try: Meguiars Mirror Glaze & using the PC

Originally posted by JohnAndDar
...I have a couple of questions:
1) How sparingly should the #9 be applied?
2) Should the #9 be worked in until it starts to dry? As I said above, I suspect that I undermined the #9 by applying too much and not working it in enough...mostly out of fear of "overdoing" it.
3) Could/should the #9 be used with a Meguiars "cutting pad", or would that be too aggressive? I'm wondering if that might be the way to go next time before trying DACP.
4) Having applied the #26 using the PC, is there any benefit in applying another "layer" of #26 the following day?
5) Is there an "ideal" time to wait before going over the #26 with Final Detail?
6) How often do you generally feel the need to polish with #7 vs. just putting on a maintenance coat of #26?
1. #9 should be put on as THIN as possible (as is true with nearly every surface application product). #9 has a tendency to become a bear to remove if applied too thickly. Been there, done that.

2. #9 should be worked until nearly dry and in very thin coats.

3. It could be used with a cutting pad but, if you don't have much of a problem, I wouldn't recommend it. As has been said before, always start with the least agressive product and work upwards (in agressiveness). You can always get more agressive but, when you start off too agressive it's a lot more work to get back to a level playing field.

4. Some say yes, some say no. I say yes. I've applied up to 4 layers of #26 before I started to see 'smear' and 'build-up'. Some say you can't apply two layers and I think that's hogwash. #26 doesn't have any cleaners in it thus, layering should be possible up to a certain extent. I ALWAYS HAD AT LEAST TWO LAYERS OF #26 ON TOP OF WHATEVER WAS MY BASE... ALWAYS.

5. I never use a QD spray immediately afterwards because I like to allow everything to set before anything else goes on top. I have suspecion that FI might be okay (as it has no silicones) but, I'd hold off for at least 24 hours... that's just me though. Not sure what others will say about this... so far though, I've had good results with that regime.

6. As with any product, individual environmental situations will dictate what to use and how often to use it. In my case, I polish about every fourth or fifth application as I've typically created enough dullness or a few swirls here and there from repeated QD and/or washing. It's all a matter of how often YOU think you need it. Putting another coat of #26 on every so often is fine. Rarely a month would go by without me smacking a coat or two on... sometimes as many as four coats in a single month (during winter if possible).

Hope that helps... Let us know if you have any other questions.

RP

Old 02-22-2004, 07:48 PM
I suspect that the problem with the #9 had to do with too much product. Use a light amount, and as RP said, work until ALMOST dry........... leaving a slight wet edge. DO NOT work #9 until completely dry, or it can re-introduce swirls. If there are some swirls still present after the first passes with a light coat of #9, simply work the area again with another light coat. I personaly like to use the #9 with a Meguiar's yellow polishing pad, and then work the area again with the #9 and a Meguiar's tan finish pad for even more gloss, and a slicker finish.

If you've induced some nasty swirls into the finish, you might need to use a more aggressive product like DACP with the Meguiar's maroon cutting pad to remove them, and then follow up with the #9.

I don't like to use any QD on a freshly waxed surface, for at least a few hours, and overnight is better. This gives the wax/sealant a chance to cure. Wiping a freshing waxed/sealed surface can liquify the product all over again.

It certainly won't hurt to add additional coats of just about any product. Keep in mind, that the paint surface can hold only so much wax, and just because you put 5 or 6 coats on the paint............ you really don't have 5 or 6 coats on there. Two fresh coats of carnauba is about all you can expect the paint surface to hold, as it has filled in the paint pores, and leveled the surface. Yes, after washing/QD'ing a couple of times, you probably have removed some of the carnauba, and an additional coat can/should be applied.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-22-2004, 08:01 PM
RockPick and Boss_429,
I really appreciate your replies. I definitely messed up on the #9. Now I know better and should improve on the next attempt.
I plan on trying the Final Detail tomorrow.

I know that a picture does not give an accurate representaion of the quality of a wax job, but I took the one below when I finished up today because it looked neat. It was just after 4:00 and the sun was too low to get decent light for a sidelong shot, but this hood shot wasn't bad:

John

Old 02-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks darn good to me John... you can definately tell that the sunlight was on that tree! Nice job!

Old 02-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Looking good!

Old 02-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A great picture of a great truck with a great paint job. Oh yea, and the wax job looks pretty good too! You should be proud to drive something looking that nice. Keep up the good work!

Quick Reply: First try: Meguiars Mirror Glaze & using the PC