side mirror experts, question....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 06:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
side mirror experts, question....

Well, you know the side mirrors on the truck, well somehow the passanger mirror got pushed UP(like towards the sky) and it slid up like 1" and you can see the plastic "post" that the mirror swivels on. Well, I pushed it back down and everything still works, except it's loose because whatever holds the mirror down must be broken. So, my question is, how easy is it to take the mirror apart and get in there, is it repairable, or do i need a new mirror(ouch). Thanks

Brian

Old 03-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have never taken a mirror apart that far, but I am going to take a guess that it is held on the piviot post by some teeth in the mirror head itself.

The mirror head when you take it off, I do not recall being able to see the post in that side.

Take a look at the directions for taking the mirror apart at www.muthco.com to remove the entire head off the truck, adn removal of the glass.

Take a look at the inside bucket that the glass covers, and take the galmor cap off the mirror head with the 4 tabs that it is held on with, to see if you can see the top of the post, to see if it is a c-clip / snap ring, or if it is plastic teeth.

be careful with the glamor cap, as you might be able to get a mirror at the salvage yard, and swap out the glamor cap with it, to re-install, as well the glass if needed. The salvage yard mirror only need to have a decient plastic end housing, and working motor if electric, to swap out with yours.

Sorry, Glass, and glamor cap is the farthest I have had one apat.

Good luck, let us know what happens for the next member.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you broke the center pivot you will need a new mirror. I replaced my mirror because the center post cracked on the housing itself.

Some ford parts dealers online sell them cheap. I paid $140 for the entire mirror and housing (motors, etc), 1/2 of what the dealer wanted.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks for the info.

My mirror is just loose, it still functions and won't come off unless my car flips upside down but then I have bigger problems.

I'm going to take apart the mirror with the instructions stated, and going to look inside and see if I can "super glue" or somehow repair the damage inside(I think some plastic piece cracked). I'll let you know how it turns out.

Brian

Quick Reply: side mirror experts, question....