Polish ? for the Guru's

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polish ? for the Guru's

I hear a lot of time the guys who know a lot more about this stuff then me recommend that you should start with the least abrasive polishes first and move up to something more abrasive if that doesn't work.

Could someone give a basic "primer" of where the different polishes would fit in on that scale? I think it might be beneficial to those of us that are tryin gto learn.

Old 03-01-2004, 06:23 PM
I don't know "Jack" myself, but

The first link is a good page on a different site, the second link is from the first page, but specifically on what you asked for.

I am still agonizing over some of these questions myself cuz I get my PC 7424 tomorrowk per the tracking number.

I'd kinda like to listen to the guys here on this forum cuz you kind of get to learn individuals after a while and they have been so helpful. One of them pointed out this site of information.

http://forums.roadfly.org/forums/det...3579628-1.html

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...1430487&page=1

That's all I have to offer.

Tom

Old 03-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Bri9801,

I'll try to help out a little here. Keep in mind, that different manufactures have slightly different abrasive scales so to speak.

Anyhow, Meguiar's is a popular brand mentioned in these threads, so I'll start there. Meguiar's has a listing on their labels of the aggressiveness of their products from 1 to 10, with 10 being the most aggressive. However, some products aren't listed for various reasons.

Meguiar's Show Car Glaze #7 & Pro hand Polish #81 - Not listed - Most agree that these fall around a 1. Most give them a rating of 1, simply due to the fact that applying a product has some abrasion.

Meguiar's #9 SMR - Rated at 3

Meguiars Swirl Free Polish - Rated at 3 - Most who use it agree that it's probably a 4, as it is slightly more abrasive than #9

Meguiar's DACP - Rated a 6 - Pretty aggressive product.

The rest of the Meguiar's line is pretty much for use with a rotary buffer, and doesn't need to be listed here.

As a reference, Poorboy's SSR polishes are rated something like this.

Pro Polish - Around 1 to 2

SSR1 - Around 2 to 3

SSR2 - Around 4

SSR3 - Around 8

Hope this helps.

Old 03-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Thaks Boss.....

That's what I was looking for.......

Old 03-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Hey Boss

Where does Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner "Step 1" fit into the scheme of things.

I went on a mission today to Schuck's Auto and NAPA Auto to find #9 and DACP but could not find either. The guys at those stores know as much as I do on the subject which also was not good news.

Short story is I ended up with Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner "Step 1". It was only $6 so if it is not the right stuff for improving some really minor minor scratches with PC, I would sure like to hear about it.

I am going to go to GI Joes tonight to see what they have.

I just called GI Joes. They have some Meguiars #9.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited by THall; 03-01-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:52 PM
THall,

The Deep Crystal Paint cleaner is a very, very light cleaner. I doubt it will remove any substantial swirls/scratches. My guess would be that the product is around 1 on the aggressive scale. The Deep Crystal polish probably isn't much more aggressive.

Keep in mind, that the Meguiar's Consumer line of products is just that............. for Joe Consumer who want a quick cleanup of the paint. Therefore, Meguiar's isn't going to risk putting too abrasive of a product in his hands, and then have to listen to the complaints.

Don't get me wrong........... they are decent products, but not for serious enthusiasts.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:14 PM
can't remember where i posted this last when i talked with Boss and RP, but i just got some #9 today at the local Body Shop. that is actually the shop's name! but no one cares so i will continue. anyway, tried it out on the top panal of the pass. door. when i got home i could see all the spider web marks like a fudder mucker!! so anyway, i decided to use the 9. all i can say is WOW!! now i will highly recommend the stuff. it will need two coats but still, i worked it in till almost dry, let it sit, did another small area, same thing, then wiped it all down with a clean terry towel. and BAM!!! can't wait to get out there and bang out the whole truck. awesome guys, thanks!!

Old 03-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad that #9 worked for you Willie! It's a great product and well respected within the car care community...

Old 03-01-2004, 11:20 PM
oh hey, you know, i forgot to ask you guys something. since you two know what goes on in the industry. anyway, i saw meguiers "polymer sealer" don't remember the number of it, but what's up with that stuff, any good? how long does it last?

Old 03-02-2004, 12:22 AM
Thanks Boss

I got the #9 tonight from GI Joes and I'm set to go when my buffer arrives tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys - It sure feels a lot better than trying to get recommendations from all the hip shooters I've met in the auto parts stores!

Thanks -

Tom

Old 03-02-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Willie Dynomite
oh hey, you know, i forgot to ask you guys something. since you two know what goes on in the industry. anyway, i saw meguiers "polymer sealer" don't remember the number of it, but what's up with that stuff, any good? how long does it last?
Willie,

The #20 Polymer Sealant is good stuff. Very durable, with a nice appearance. It does "look" like a sealant when it's cured though! So, if you prefer the "rich caranauba look", the #20 may not appeal to you.

Old 03-03-2004, 03:00 AM
sealant?

like how may i ask? like a fake plastic? duh! fake plastic? is there such a thing?

Old 03-03-2004, 06:11 AM
Re: sealant?

Originally posted by Willie Dynomite
like how may i ask? like a fake plastic? duh! fake plastic? is there such a thing?
Willie,

Not exactly! Not all sealants give the full blown "suran wrap/plastic" look. It's hard to explain, but here's a try........... most sealants are clear, and reflective, with somewhat of a "dry/cold" look. #20 has that type of look. Of course, that look may be just what some people want. As a bit of a contrast, NXT has more wetness and depth than most sealants, and that helps remove some of that "cold" sealant appearance.

Carnauba's on the other hand, tends to leave the paint looking "rich", "deep", and shinny. It's more of a wet "luxurious" look, if you know what I mean.

If you were to do half of a well preped hood with only......... say............ 2 coats of sealant, and the other half with ony 2 coats of a premium carnauba................ you would see the difference. Especially on medium and dark colors.

Anyhow, hope that helps. Keep in mind, that these are just my points of view, and others may view it differently.

Old 03-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Boss did an excellent job of explaining a topic that is VERY difficult to explain... you really have to see it to understand it.

I've only used a few sealants in my day as I just wasn't blown away by the first few I used... NXT included. But, once I topped the NXT with the #26, I regained the depth and gloss verus hardcore gloss...

RP

Old 03-03-2004, 01:56 PM
i see what you mean boss. once you said that the carnuba leaves it wet looking, i knew that i'll just stick with that, i want people to think that i just painted the truck and am driving around with wet paint slinging off it!! thanks.

Quick Reply: Polish ? for the Guru's