Rockpick/Boss - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RP,

Thanks for the advice. I'll look at the paint finish again tommorrow under the sunlight and see if I see any webs or swirls. If so, I'll it it with the #9 after the wash and clay. If not, I'll stick with the #7 until I see the swirls.

As for the NTX wax, I'm guessing everyone is referring to the Tech Wax paste and not the NTX spray wax.

If I do top the NTX off with #26, should I use the #34 final inspection upkeep or go with the NTX spray wax as the upkeep between washes?

I love this forum....

Tony

Old 03-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good plan on the #7 / #9. I concur.

NXT is the Tech Wax (but it's really not a wax..... wax is only used there for name recognition as the general public doesn't really know what a sealant is as opposed to a wax -- mind you, this is a CONSUMER level product). I'm referring to this:

NXT isn't availble in a paste... just liquid.

Also, there's a VERY distinct difference in using Meguiar's NXT Spray Wax and Meguiar's #34...

NXT Spray Wax is meant to be used as a BOOSTER to the NXT and can be used over the #26 with no problems I've read. The #34 is a DETAILER spray that is designed to provide lubrication to remove dust and that type of thing. Really, in no way are the two products alike with the exception that they're both sprayed on.

I've heard good things about the NXT Spray Wax and I know #34 is kick-butt stuff so, if you feel the need, get both. If not, get the #34.

RP

Old 03-04-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Good plan on the #7 / #9. I concur.

NXT is the Tech Wax (but it's really not a wax..... wax is only used there for name recognition as the general public doesn't really know what a sealant is as opposed to a wax -- mind you, this is a CONSUMER level product). I'm referring to this:

NXT isn't availble in a paste... just liquid.

Also, there's a VERY distinct difference in using Meguiar's NXT Spray Wax and Meguiar's #34...

NXT Spray Wax is meant to be used as a BOOSTER to the NXT and can be used over the #26 with no problems I've read. The #34 is a DETAILER spray that is designed to provide lubrication to remove dust and that type of thing. Really, in no way are the two products alike with the exception that they're both sprayed on.

I've heard good things about the NXT Spray Wax and I know #34 is kick-butt stuff so, if you feel the need, get both. If not, get the #34.

RP
Hello again rock...did I make a mistake ordering the new NXT polymer as my "wax" of choice? I got the paste, not the spray.

I also ordered the Maguiars car polish, but not the true wax...figured I was covered with the NXT...

Old 03-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Moderator &

Yikes...

Looks like I've caused a little bit of confusion.

Okay... NXT Tech Wax is available only in liquid form. Also, NXT Spray Wax is a liquid. These are two products though...

The NXT Tech Wax (Click Here ) is the product that should be used when you are wanting to 'wax' your truck.

The NXT Spray Wax (Click Here) is a product that you can use as a 'booster' for the NXT wax.

So, in short... You'll spend $15 for a bottle of wax and, if you wish, $7 for the booster.

I think where we're getting confused is that the NXT wax isn't really a paste. It's a liquid in a cardboard box along with an applicator. The spray wax is in a spray bottle.

Clear as mud?

RP

Old 03-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Yikes...

Looks like I've caused a little bit of confusion.

Okay... NXT Tech Wax is available only in liquid form. Also, NXT Spray Wax is a liquid. These are two products though...

The NXT Tech Wax (Click Here ) is the product that should be used when you are wanting to 'wax' your truck.

The NXT Spray Wax (Click Here) is a product that you can use as a 'booster' for the NXT wax.

So, in short... You'll spend $15 for a bottle of wax and, if you wish, $7 for the booster.

I think where we're getting confused is that the NXT wax isn't really a paste. It's a liquid in a cardboard box along with an applicator. The spray wax is in a spray bottle.

Clear as mud?

RP
Got it...sorry for adding to the confusion by referring to the NXT LIQUID I ordered as a paste!

Sounds like I ordered the right stuff nonetheless, so I'm happy.

And another silly question then....I assume Mequiar's NXT protectant would be perfect fot the Access vinyl tonneau I just ordered?

I'm sitting here laughing at myself for all the questions I have regarding washing/waxing a truck I will not even have for another 7 days!!! Waiting for the first nice Saturday of Spring...

Old 03-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Moderator &

I've not used the NXT protectant yet but, my assumption is that you'll like it based on what I've read. So far, my personal favorite is Meguiar's #40 but, like I said, I haven't tried the NXT protectant.

RP

Old 03-05-2004, 05:38 PM
RP,

Have you had a chance to compare Meguiar's #40 to Lexol's Vinylex?

Old 03-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by TonyPTX
RP,

Have you had a chance to compare Meguiar's #40 to Lexol's Vinylex?
Yup.

I have both. Vinylex is pretty good but, I don't recommend it for exterior use (although I have in the past). I recently used it on my King Ranch tonneau cover with AWFUL results. I say awful only because it attracted SOOOO MUCH DUST AND DIRT. After one day, I ran a white terry towel across it and it was VERY nasty. Mind you, I only applied a little bit to the cover and removed excess with a MF towel.

I'll stand by the product in the interior as I haven't really had much problem with it but, after using #40 on the tonneau, I didn't notice NEARLY as much dust sticking.

From here on out, it's #40 for my exterior trim.... but, that only started recently.

RP

Old 03-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately, most of the water based products I've used don't hold up to well on exterior trim when exposed to rain.......... that includes #40, Lexol, 303 (303 is decent if excess is buffed off really well), and several others. However, Poorboy's Trim Restorer is showing a lot of promise, and may come out the winner........... tesing in the spring rains should tell. Another product that holds up fairly well, but is a pain to apply and remove is Black Jack Black Again.

EDIT: The Trim Restorer is also one of the best products I've ever used for removing wax stains from trim! (not that I ever get any wax on the trim....... cough, cough )

Old 03-07-2004, 11:34 PM
To Wrap Up this Thread...

After 6 hours of detailing......(yes an insane amount, but hey I haven't done this since I bought the vehicle 7 months ago), the shine really comes out. Hard to describe, but a picture is worth a thousand words...

This was a wash & dry w/Meguiar's Soft Wash Gel, claying w/ Mother's Clay and Showtime QD, polish w/ Meguiars's #7 Glaze, and a topcoat of wax w/ Meguiar's NTX Tech Wax.

I'll probbaly put another coat of NTX wax next weekend and top that off w/a coat of Meguiar's #26. I just got too damn tired doing this crap by hand.

TonyPTX

Old 03-08-2004, 06:05 AM
Re: To Wrap Up this Thread...

Originally posted by TonyPTX

I'll probbaly put another coat of NTX wax next weekend and top that off w/a coat of Meguiar's #26. I just got too damn tired doing this crap by hand.

TonyPTX
Get yourself a PC!

P.S. Looks really nice. Great job!

Quick Reply: Rockpick/Boss - Questions