Zaino users with DARK colored vehicles…

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Zaino users with DARK colored vehicles…

Well I have been slowly working on my baby, sonic blue Lightning. I have 4 coats of Z5 and man she looks FREAKING GREAT!!!!

Still have coat number 5 to go, maybe tomorrow night. So my question is to those that use Zaino and has a dark colored vehicle. Do you only use the Z5 or have you applied a few coats of Z5, like 3 or more and then top it with Z2? If so what did you think with just the Z5 and what did you think after topping the Z5 with Z2?

I really like my results and would like to see it in the sun. It’s all been done in the garage because right outside my garage and for 200 yards before the main road it is basically a mud pit.

Anyway, I really like the results of the 4 coats of Z5 so far and rather then chance messing it up with topping it with Z2 I wanted to ask for some real world experience and opinions…

Old 03-10-2004, 07:48 PM

Used it on a several dark colored paints. I liked to apply a coat of Z2 after every few/several coats of Z5. The Z2 seemed to add a little more "clarity" to the finish. Each time I would apply the Z2, I would use the Z1. Using the Z2 with the Z1 seemed to increase the durability even more!

Just my 2 cents though!

Old 03-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks Boss. I thought I had read a few times about people applying the Z2 over the Z5 on dark colored vehicles but I wasn’t sure.

It now has 4 coats of Z5 and looks real good, but that is in the garage with the lights. I am going to wait for this weekend which should be decent out, at least to drive it out of the garage and get a good look at it in the day light which is where it really counts in how it looks.

So, with 4 coats of Z5 would you recommend that maybe I put 2 coats of Z2 over that?

Oh and your 2 cents is worth about $200 to me, you and RockPick have quite the knowledge when it comes to detailing...

Old 03-10-2004, 08:18 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have only used Zaino on two dark colored vehicles so far. My 99 F-150 was Deep Wedgewood Blue and I preferred the pure Z5 look after some experimentation. On my last car which was graphite gray pearl, I could not get a combination of Z5/Z2 that I liked with about 10 total coats. So, I switched to carnauba for that vehicle.

So, you got your 5 coats of Z5. Wait a week or two to get used to how it looks. Then, add a couple coats of Z2 and determine how you like it after another couple weeks. I suspect with Sonic Blue, pure Z5 would look better. Z2 may look too plasticy. That color is not a very deep color, so a litle Z2 would make it glow. But, give it a try as I am only hypothesizing.

And make sure to take lots of picts along the way!

Old 03-10-2004, 11:27 PM
I have a black / az beige 04 Screw and in December I applied 2 coats of Z5 followed by 2 coats of Z2 (both mixed with ZFX) - I used a Porter Cable to apply / remove the Zaino. Due to the good reviews of Megs NXT I decided to give it a go. I washed the left side of the bed with Dawn and then applied Megs #9. It then felt as if everything was off and I was back to the raw clear coat. I then applied 2 coats of NXT and the next day I applied by 2 coats of #26. I then compared the left side of the bed and the left rear door. I could not tell any difference between the az beige coated with Zaino and NXT / 26 under neon light, sunlight, and light from a 500W hologen work light. However, the black was a different story. If there was a shine-o-meter I think both panels would register the same but the clearity of the Zaino appears to be a bit better. The Zaino appears to hid the orange peel a bit better then NXT followed by 26 resulting in a more level looking surface. Additionally, the Zaino appears to have a bit more depth and darkness. Both are excellent products and 99% of the people would not be able to tell any difference between the LR door and the left side of the bed at all. Keep in mind the Zaino has been on since December, the 29th to be exact. I plan on applying my old stand by Monther's on the LF door so as to compare all three products.

Just my experience.

Screwdrive

Old 03-10-2004, 11:51 PM

I have 5 coats of Z5 on the L, it still looks great. I wash it and use the gloss enhancer to maintain the shine.

Haven't had any desire to use the Z2 for the time being. The depth and shine are still outstanding.

Old 03-11-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport

So, with 4 coats of Z5 would you recommend that maybe I put 2 coats of Z2 over that?

Yep, like APT, and Screwdrive said............... give it a try and see what you think. You may decide to continue with Z2, or as Dave01L said............go straight Z5, or switch back and forth between the two.

A lot depends on the color, and what YOU like!

Good Luck

Old 03-11-2004, 06:51 AM
My 2 trucks rode the winter out with Z2 and I've just applied 2 coats of Z5 to my red truck along with 2 coats on my sons Screw.... To me, the Z2 does have a little more of the mirror look.......... maybe.......
This weekend, I intend to apply 2 coats of Z5 to my work truck (Toredor Red) and a couple of coats of Z2 to the red truck (over the previous 2 coats of Z5)..........

Old 03-11-2004, 07:51 AM
Thanks everyone for the input…

A few questions, first to Daves01L, what color is your L? sonic blue?

Second, to Boss or anyone else that knows. I do like the shine and depth of the Z5 at this point so let’s say I go and put 1 or 2 coats of Z2 on and it changes the shine, am I stuck with that or can you go back and put on 1 or 2 coats of Z5 to get that “type” of shine and look back?

Reason I ask is because from my understanding once the Z is on it’s on until it wears off.

Old 03-11-2004, 08:04 AM

Second, to Boss or anyone else that knows. I do like the shine and depth of the Z5 at this point so let’s say I go and put 1 or 2 coats of Z2 on and it changes the shine, am I stuck with that or can you go back and put on 1 or 2 coats of Z5 to get that “type” of shine and look back?

You will be able to pretty much "overwhelm" the Z2 with additional coats of the Z5 if you don't like the look of the Z2.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Has anyone ever posed 01's question to the Zaino guys in Jersey?

I'd be interested in hearing thier thoughts. I have my True Blue coated with Z5 and have been toying with thought of putting some Z2 also. IMO, the depth is not there as with my wifes Teaodor Red (sp?) or my old Harvest Gold.

Old 03-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by BostonCowboy
Has anyone ever posed 01's question to the Zaino guys in Jersey?

I'd be interested in hearing thier thoughts. I have my True Blue coated with Z5 and have been toying with thought of putting some Z2 also. IMO, the depth is not there as with my wifes Teaodor Red (sp?) or my old Harvest Gold.
Yes..................... here's the old "Tip & Tricks" page from one of Zaino's distributors.

Read the first paragraph under "Tips":

http://www.zaino.ca/files/tips.htm

Old 03-11-2004, 12:59 PM
DOH.....I missed that one.

Now after re-reading that.....I wonder if I have ENOUGH Zaino on?

Time to fire up the heater in the garage. I have both Z2 & Z6. I give it another 3 coats of Z6 and top it off with Z2.

By the way 01, where are the pics?

Old 03-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks Boss on the tips, and I knew about the Zaino tips and tricks which is one thing to read but then another coming here and asking you people what “you” actually like better.

The main reason I asked about the Z2 was because of the Zaino tips and tricks, but I remember reading before from some people, and I believe Harley386 who had a black Harley F150 where he didn’t like the Z2 look and preferred the straight Z5. It may have been someone else, but for some reason I think Harley was one of those post I read that.

As you said and it does make sense that if I don’t like the Z2 look I can always put a few coats of Z5 over it.

Just might try that but want to wait till I pull it out into the sun light this weekend to get a good look at it and see if there are any fine scratches left to cover and just how good the Z5 alone looks before going further…

I do appreciate all the responses as it does give me some things to consider…

Old 03-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
...I do appreciate all the responses as it does give me some things to consider…
God knows that you need things to consider...

Quick Reply: Zaino users with DARK colored vehicles…