Anybody know about "HydroWax" as seen on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody know about "HydroWax" as seen on TV

I recently bought this product, Hydrowax, u spray it on with the garden hose and wait till it hazes up and buff off, simple!, but i was wondering if anybody used it before or how it is to get off rough surface plastics like it is all over my FX4. thanks.

Old 03-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Almost sounds like one of those "too good to be true" things. Sure would get rid of a lot of sore elbows if it works as advertised. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-10-2004, 09:02 PM
here is a link if anybody is interested, the box is FULL of tech talk, even mentions NASA in one paragraph. It seems it would be great on a car, where there is little tectured plastic, but my FX4 is about 30% textured plastic on the exterior, and this stuff is supposed to go kinda white after a few minutes, then u buff off, im sure its not like a conventional wax, but good for the in between waxes that are soooo hard to do. But my concern is if i spray this stuff on, will i get it off, say the bed rails, or the box liner, or the tires or ..... u know. It does state on the box though that it is good on windows! oddly enuf, wipes off windows to protect them as well. anyway, guess i will have to wait until the summer to come so i can try it out. Only bought it cus it was 50% off and after reading the propaganda on the box, i didn't know how i survived on this earth without it. HydroWax

Old 03-10-2004, 11:21 PM
MXZ,

I hope this helps.

What Hydrowax looks like to me is a silicon based product that is not really a wax at all. I have used many of the traditional "elbow grease" kinds of wax while looking for the perfect shine. Here is an less expensive alternative to Hydrowax, "Eagle ONE" (http://www.eagleone.com/_products/3,2089618.asp) is made by Valvoline and is a silicone based polish that you spray on while your truck is still wet after a wash, wipe it off with a good cotton or microfiber towel. (note: a Chamois can remove wax). I have used Eagle ONE in between waxes with surprising results. I used it after EVERY wash as it does not have the staying power that wax provides. A 16 oz. bottle (@ about 5 bucks) will do 7-8 vehicles. You can spray it on everything as it does not film or "white" up. Just use it as directed on the bottle.

A more expensive alternative that I have just recently started to use is "Zaino" (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc). I have used it on my 04 SCREW and 97 BMW 528, both of which are black with fantastic results (so far). They sell polishing compounds that are not wax or silicon based, that are both easily applied and removed with minimal elbow grease. Since their products are not wax, they do not haze over white (even those spots you missed) and leave very little residue. Zaino is expensive, but impressive.

If you don't need a hardcore polish, I would recommend a coat of wax twice a year (Turtlewax, Raindance, Walmart Zymol, etc.) and a spritz of Eagle One after every wash.

Final point. Don't ever use dish soap to wash your car unless you want to remove all wax/polish from the surface. Carwash is specifically designed not to remove the surface finish.

Good Luck,

Tom

Old 03-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Moved to General Care...