Mr Clean Autodry

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 03:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Clean Autodry

Hey im kinda curious about this new product. Has anybody used it? What did you think of it? How much did you pay for it? Is everything they say in the commercial actually true?

Old 03-17-2004, 06:41 AM
From what I've heard, it's OK at best. I would save your money and buy a good car wash shampoo like NXT car wash! It has a similar sheeting action, and probably cleans a lot better........... and is a lot cheaper!

Old 03-17-2004, 08:31 AM
My wife brought one home the other day from Wally World for her car. I think it was like $16 or so. I used it on her car and was really surprised actually. She has a new redondo red pearl (dark maroonish colored) Honda Accord and it shows water spots pretty badly if you do not get it dried very quickly. I used it like they said and there were no spots on the entire car when I finished. One thing.....the soap that comes with the thing will strip the wax. Her car beaded up very well when I was doing the initial rinse and after the wash, no beads so I would use another soap if you are not wanting to strip it. I think that a couple of the MF towels would be the way to go for me. Buy a couple of those and there are no filters that have to replaced every now and then. But if you hate to dry, this thing works pretty well. GS

Old 03-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just my opinion here but... there seems to be more cons than pros to this system...

Yes, the initial cost isn't that bad but, filter refills, soap refills, chemical agressiveness of the soaps, you'll probably still have a slight residue that can't be washed off with hose pressure alone, thinning of the wax on the vehicle because of the agressive chemicals all amount to the overwhelming number of 'cons' that contribute to my opinion...

But, yes, it's convieient... so is a car wash though.

Like Boss mentioned, save your $ and get a quality shampoo and wax it the good ole fashioned way..... that'd be my suggestion.

RP

Old 03-20-2004, 10:33 PM
I recently purchased one at Wal-Mart and with the $5.00 off coupon it was only $12.84. I have heard a lot of good impressions of the system and have not heard anyone complaining about the wax being stripped before this. I can't wait for our weather to improve so I can use it anc judge for myself, but I am hopefully that it will shortly drying time, although the combination of the California Water Blade and a microfiber towel makes drying the truck pretty easy.

Old 03-22-2004, 10:05 PM
I got the Autodry about a month ago, and so far I've used it a few times so far on my truck. I think I paid 15 bucks or so. I've never seen the commercial, but I had read about it on here and decided to give it a shot. I don't really have enough time to sit and wax my truck properly, so I'm not worried about it stripping anything. I bought it and figured it was worth a try.

Its a bit of a pain in the *** at the beginning, but the next few washes after went more easily. I'm fairly happy with it, but then again I dont go over my car with a magnifying glass and a white glove after I wash it. (I'd be willing to bet there are a few certain people here that do...<cough> RockPick ).

I think for what it is, it does an excellent job of drying the truck. I can see hardly any spotting after its all dry. I'm really only picky about having a clean windshield and side windows, and they are pretty much spotless afterwards. My truck tends to stay clean for less then a day anyways, because then either; 1) I drive it or 2) I park it wrong and the sprinklers get it

All things considered, and if you aren't super **** about the tiniest bit of spotting on your truck, I'd recommend it. The extra expense of the filters and soap is worth it IMO.

Old 03-24-2004, 11:14 AM
I too have use Mr. Clean and it works as advertised. My truck is black and the spotting problem is a constant pain. With the Mr. Clean there is NO water spotting problem.

As far as the soap "striping the wax", I don't buy that assumption. The reason that the water doesn't bead up after the rinse is because of the silicone that is present in the rinse water. That is what lets the final rinse "sheet" off rather than roll off like beads.

That being said, I do plan on trying my favorite soap in the gun.

My truck is every bit as shinny and clean with the Mr. Clean system as it is after a much longer ordeal with my regular routine.
I am sold on this product.

Lonster

Trending Topics

Old 03-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could we be confusing things here? As I understand it, the system uses conditioned water (by removing some of the common minerals and contaminants) and a wetting agent in the rinse. This combination gives you the sheeting action which allows the finish to dry without spots. Could it be that the wax is still there, but doesn't bead up due to the temporary action of the system? I think we might be equating "beading up" with wax and "not beading up" with no wax. Of course I could always be wrong. Come to think of it, the ex does tell me I'm always wrong. Never mind ...

Old 03-24-2004, 12:16 PM
I also thought the autodry system simply filtered the rinse water. Couldn't you just buy a gallon of distilled water for 75 cents and dump it on your car after washing a get the same effect?

Old 03-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Read the booklet it came with, it states "Does not remove wax".
The reason it sheets, instead of beading is because of the ionized sheet of water. Try this, follow the directions, wait till its complety dry, then shoot it with the hose... beading is back!! I tried this myself, and they were right. I purchased it to try it out. Works like they say, but with the cost of filters... I will probably just use my pressure washer, and MF towels.

Hak

Old 03-24-2004, 04:47 PM
That makes sense, guess I didn't even think of it. And of course, I didn't read the booklet. It does work though. Sorry for the stupidity....GS

Old 03-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Geez, I hate it when I'm right. For a good number of folks, this might be a pretty good system.

Old 03-25-2004, 01:59 PM
I do not believe there is any silicone in the rinse water. Can someone confirm this?

Old 06-18-2004, 02:11 PM
No silicone is in the rinse water -- the filters are the same as you would get with a water pitcher or faucet filtration unit. The soap on the other hand does have a polymer in it that when combined with the filtered water really dries nice -- I love it on my beast.

Old 06-19-2004, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by wheelgunner
My wife brought one home the other day from Wally World for her car. I think it was like $16 or so. I used it on her car and was really surprised actually. She has a new redondo red pearl (dark maroonish colored) Honda Accord and it shows water spots pretty badly if you do not get it dried very quickly. I used it like they said and there were no spots on the entire car when I finished. One thing.....the soap that comes with the thing will strip the wax. Her car beaded up very well when I was doing the initial rinse and after the wash, no beads so I would use another soap if you are not wanting to strip it. I think that a couple of the MF towels would be the way to go for me. Buy a couple of those and there are no filters that have to replaced every now and then. But if you hate to dry, this thing works pretty well. GS
The soap doesn't strip the wax! It is a similar formula to the Turtle Wax streak free soap. It causes a "sheeting action" during the rinse, so the water doesn’t bead up, making it easier to dry and less possibility for water spots.

Trust me, the wax is still there! To prove it, after the car is dried, spray some water on it, and it will bead up again.

After using the Mr. Clean system, I find it a bit slow and cumbersome to use, especially the final rinse process because of the slow spray flow. I prefer to use the Turtle Wax streak free soap, and a good synthetic chamois for final drying. I can dry my Screw in the hot sun without leaving a single water spot on her!

Quick Reply: Mr Clean Autodry