no more water spots on windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
Something else that works awesome on windows for taking off water spots and very minor scratches is ceramic glass polish. The very same stuff you use on glass top stoves.
Wow...Thanks!! I never thought of that but I do have a glass top stove and therefore I also have a bottle of Cook Top cleaner. I'll have to give it a go!!

Old 04-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by wild-mtn-rose
Wow...Thanks!! I never thought of that but I do have a glass top stove and therefore I also have a bottle of Cook Top cleaner. I'll have to give it a go!!
It does work excellent…

I am going to be doing to my new Lightning. Since it had been sitting at the dealers for about 4 – 5 months it has some water spots in the front windshield so I want to remove them. It is the last thing I need to do.

It already has 5 coats of Zaino on the paint, took all the wheels off and cleaned the rims front and back and put 3 coats of Zaino on them. Polished the inside and outside of the exhaust tips so it is looking GOOD…

Old 04-06-2004, 11:22 AM
XLT Sport,

LOOKING GOOD, I really like that color. Let me know if you end up topping it off with Z2 and how it comes out. Being as **** as you are....it MUST kill you to pull into / out an unpaved driveway.

Now with no mud flaps....do you wipe it down after pulling out?

And to everybody else who is thinking on chiming in.....I mean the truck

Old 04-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by BostonCowboy
....do you wipe it down after pulling out?

And to everybody else who is thinking on chiming in.....I mean the truck
LMAO... ...

01 XLT Sport: Very nice looking truck!!

Old 04-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by BostonCowboy
XLT Sport,
....do you wipe it down after pulling out?
Depends if I am in a hurry or not…

wild-mtn-rose:

Thank you for the compliment…

Just got done polishing all the windows but the back window. The back window has very little water spots on it but when it warms up I will get that taken care of. Came out looking EXCELLENT, not one spot. This is the second time I have “polished” the windows.

The first time was in my last truck so the first time for this one. It is so easy on and easy off. Took me approx. 15 minutes to do the front windshield and the two side windows…

Old 04-07-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Boss_429
Well said!

ROFLMAO!!! I havent laughed that hard in a long time. Thanks boss!!

Old 04-07-2004, 08:41 AM
Hey, The winshield on my f150 doesnt seem smooth. If you're sitting inside of it and look out it's kind of blurry. I was outside looking at the winshield and you can kind of see some waves in the glass. Anyone have any idea how or if even there is anything I can do besides new glass? thanks guys.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by gtchief
Hey, The winshield on my f150 doesnt seem smooth. If you're sitting inside of it and look out it's kind of blurry. I was outside looking at the winshield and you can kind of see some waves in the glass. Anyone have any idea how or if even there is anything I can do besides new glass? thanks guys.
Try waiting a little while longer after drinking

Old 04-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Gtchief

What year F150?

A lot of the guys with the new '04s are having issues with distorted windshields and they are getting them replaced under warranty. Don't know how old your truck is but it might be worth talking to the dealership if its still under warranty.

And for everyone else whos trying different methods to clean the windows...If you have tint be careful of what you put on the inside of the glass because replacing the tint is a pain and will cost you some $$$. I would imagine the stove top cleaner has some chemicals in it that could break down the tint and the adhesive. Just my 2 cents...

Old 04-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Flordia-150:

Excellent point about the tint…

I only use the ceramic glass cleaner (glass stove top cleaner) on the outside windows. I wouldn’t tempt using on the inside because I don’t know if the cleaner might stain the plastic (dash, doors etc).

In any regards if you have tint that is aftermarket you should be very careful with any type of cleaner and your best bet is using just soap and water. As far as factor tint I would still stay away from using anything but regular window cleaner…

Old 04-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Its a '98. Definitely not under warranty. Any other ideas?

Old 04-07-2004, 11:57 PM
What about hard water stains on the window?....I have it bad & nothing I have tried will clean it off.

Old 04-08-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by nasf150
What about hard water stains on the window?....I have it bad & nothing I have tried will clean it off.
I would still try the ceramic glass cleaner on it and work it in a bit longer. The way I do it is to apply it with a damp cotton cloth. I work it in, in a circular motion. I would say about a dime size amount on the cloth and work it in to an area of about 8” X 8” to 12” X 12”. Work it in until it begins to dry, maybe 10 seconds or so. It took me approx. 10 minutes to do the windshield of my truck but it had very light water spots.

While your working it in, at least for me, what I have seen is you can see the outlines of the water spot as your working it in and you can see it begin to disappear. It may take a few times if the water spots are real bad.

Another thing you could try is a razor blade at first to get as much as you can off. I did try the razor blade on my last truck and it took some off but not much. However it did not have bad water spots

Old 04-08-2004, 11:26 AM
I dont know if I am just lucky or what...

I have very hard water as we have a well and the water softener is not hooked up to the outside spigots. When water dries on my truck I would say 40% of it is white from the mineral deposits. If I just wet my windows and then dry them with a towel I get almost crystal clear results. The only thing that I can think of that I may be doing different is that I use rain-x. Maybe the rain-x fills the microscopic pores and causes the deposits to not stick as well. I have never had to work hard at getting rid of water spots (even after they have sat on the truck for a week b/c I didnt have time to dry) so maybe those that are having a problem try putting some rain-x on. BTW I put it on all the windows.

Just a thought...

Old 04-09-2004, 05:40 AM
in my experience, i found a good glass/chrome polish and #0000 steel wool works great. use medium pressure, jus enuff to make good contact, but not too much that u have a hard time pushing the steel wool around. i used alot of polish, so i have an almost liquid buffer between the wool and window, its not like i use alot anyway, jus polish the windows and chrome for 1 bottle can last me half a year.
after that i had some mean streaks going across, i was scared cuz i thought it might be scratches on the glass. i quickly took a buffer and buffed the entire window with a terry cloth. i looked at it again, and there was circle streaks everywhere, so i used some eagle one 20/20, and my glass looks perfect. the reflection off the window is soft and subtle versus hard and reflective like it used to be

Quick Reply: no more water spots on windows